C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM
GTPprix
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette

LEGAL NOTICE: I accept NO Liability/Responsibility for the use or misuse of this information.

When I was approached with the possibility of buying a 2009 Z06 at 0% I tried to figure out and rationalize what I would be losing/gaining over waiting to purchase a 2010 in the spring. The only thing I could really come up with is that I really wanted the Launch Control, while I had no idea if I’d really USE it I knew it was a feature that I wanted either way. Given my experience hacking/adding features to Vehicles and generally doing the automotive “impossible” on an almost daily basis I bought the 2009 without even looking into what it was going to take it work. Less than two weeks after delivery I had Launch Control working in my 2009 as if it were a 2010.

I’ve struggled since I completed this mod as to what to do with it and how to “market” it. Its relatively difficult for the everyday Joe to complete and given some of the systems I was changing I wasn’t really comfortable taking on the liability of this particular mod or how to efficiently sell kits so this being the season of giving here is my Christmas present to you all; how to add launch control to your 2009 C6.

This how to SHOULD work for all 2009 C6’s however I’ve only tested my Z06. When I began this project I looked at it from a simple “it’s gotta be in the ECM” just by the way the system sounded on paper but upon closer investigation the system was quite a bit more complex than simply a calibration change. The majority of the operation is actually done by the EBCM (The ABS Module) with the ECM being told how to regulate the torque as well as having a DTC relating to the Launch Control etc.

What you’ll need:
A 2010 ECM
A 2010 EBCM
Access to GM TIS2Web Programming or a REALLY friendly dealer ☺

Now this is the relatively simple part, you’ll need to install the ECM into the fender on your Corvette and program it with a 2010 Calibration for your particular vehicle. I chose to change my VIN back to my VIN as well as the Calibration segment Part #’s and CVN’s to match my 2009 this will likely be impossible for most others but its an option if you know how to do it. This makes the 2010 ECM look just like my 2009 Stock ECM when queried by a scan tool. Next you’ll need to perform a Crankshaft Position Relearn as well as updating the engine oil life to whatever your vehicle had before the swap.

Once the ECM is up and running it should function just as your 2009 unit did however those of you into modding will notice the new higher MAF ceiling as well as the newer injector limit (LS3/LS7 only) so this may be a plus for some of you. The next part is where things get exciting.

Using the (E5 IIRC) inverted Torx head tool remove the four perimeter screws from the EBCM (you will have to lean over the car from the passenger side and you will likely want to remove the intake first). Gently separate the EBCM from the ABS Control block. At this point you’ll see all the various ABS controls IE the ends of the solenoid shafts. MAKE SURE you don’t get dirt into this area it can damage the shafts during ABS engagement. Install the new Level 8 Bosch EBCM onto the ABS control block, make sure you note which is which as there is no actual GM part # on the unit. Program the unit using the same VIN that you used for the ECM, just make sure you select the correct calibration for your braking setup/engine ect.

Once you program both modules its time to test the operation of your new Launch Control system. Make sure Competitive Driving Mode is on, the steering wheel is pointed straight and the car is in first gear, push the clutch in and go WOT. This should bring the RPM up to a predetermined point and hold it around that RPM. Dump the clutch and hold on!

Now many of you have asked will this system work on your 2005-2008 C6? The short answer is no. The change from a Delphi to Bosch EBCM and subsequent new ABS block, Lines, Sensors ect make this cost prohibitive at best and impossible at worse. I’d say it would take A LOT of time and over $3000 in parts to make this work correctly on a 2006-2008 and I’m not sure it would ever work on a 2005 with an E40 ECM.

I hope you guys enjoy this and since I gave away the information hopefully no one tries to sell this to anyone I may offer programming for these systems if you cant find a dealer to work with or would prefer to keep it quiet but that remains to be seen.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice write up!

I wish I was half as smart as you! If I tried this they would have to tow it in because it wouldn't be running anymore.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
ATMER1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for posting this. Any idea what additional parts are needed to mod. a ZR1 besides a new console switch in addition to those you already listed?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default thanx for the good info

Great Post. Thanx for the info.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

So now that you have it...Was it worth the trouble? Have you used it often ?

thanks for the heads up ...
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Great post and write up and from the owners of 09 Z's, thank you. Unfortunately, I have an 08. Please get to work and find a harness adapter!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 PM
usmc42
Instructor

your the coolest man alive!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your products and services are Top Shelf!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

From Grand Am's to GTPs to C6s.... good lord you move around!

LOL, glad to see you helping out yet another GM platform.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM
09C6Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by GTPprix
LEGAL NOTICE: I accept NO Liability/Responsibility for the use or misuse of this information.

When I was approached with the possibility of buying a 2009 Z06 at 0% I tried to figure out and rationalize what I would be losing/gaining over waiting to purchase a 2010 in the spring. The only thing I could really come up with is that I really wanted the Launch Control, while I had no idea if I’d really USE it I knew it was a feature that I wanted either way. Given my experience hacking/adding features to Vehicles and generally doing the automotive “impossible” on an almost daily basis I bought the 2009 without even looking into what it was going to take it work. Less than two weeks after delivery I had Launch Control working in my 2009 as if it were a 2010.

I’ve struggled since I completed this mod as to what to do with it and how to “market” it. Its relatively difficult for the everyday Joe to complete and given some of the systems I was changing I wasn’t really comfortable taking on the liability of this particular mod or how to efficiently sell kits so this being the season of giving here is my Christmas present to you all; how to add launch control to your 2009 C6.

This how to SHOULD work for all 2009 C6’s however I’ve only tested my Z06. When I began this project I looked at it from a simple “it’s gotta be in the ECM” just by the way the system sounded on paper but upon closer investigation the system was quite a bit more complex than simply a calibration change. The majority of the operation is actually done by the EBCM (The ABS Module) with the ECM being told how to regulate the torque as well as having a DTC relating to the Launch Control etc.

What you’ll need:
A 2010 ECM
A 2010 EBCM
Access to GM TIS2Web Programming or a REALLY friendly dealer ☺

Now this is the relatively simple part, you’ll need to install the ECM into the fender on your Corvette and program it with a 2010 Calibration for your particular vehicle. I chose to change my VIN back to my VIN as well as the Calibration segment Part #’s and CVN’s to match my 2009 this will likely be impossible for most others but its an option if you know how to do it. This makes the 2010 ECM look just like my 2009 Stock ECM when queried by a scan tool. Next you’ll need to perform a Crankshaft Position Relearn as well as updating the engine oil life to whatever your vehicle had before the swap.

Once the ECM is up and running it should function just as your 2009 unit did however those of you into modding will notice the new higher MAF ceiling as well as the newer injector limit (LS3/LS7 only) so this may be a plus for some of you. The next part is where things get exciting.

Using the (E5 IIRC) inverted Torx head tool remove the four perimeter screws from the EBCM (you will have to lean over the car from the passenger side and you will likely want to remove the intake first). Gently separate the EBCM from the ABS Control block. At this point you’ll see all the various ABS controls IE the ends of the solenoid shafts. MAKE SURE you don’t get dirt into this area it can damage the shafts during ABS engagement. Install the new Level 8 Bosch EBCM onto the ABS control block, make sure you note which is which as there is no actual GM part # on the unit. Program the unit using the same VIN that you used for the ECM, just make sure you select the correct calibration for your braking setup/engine ect.

Once you program both modules its time to test the operation of your new Launch Control system. Make sure Competitive Driving Mode is on, the steering wheel is pointed straight and the car is in first gear, push the clutch in and go WOT. This should bring the RPM up to a predetermined point and hold it around that RPM. Dump the clutch and hold on!

Now many of you have asked will this system work on your 2005-2008 C6? The short answer is no. The change from a Delphi to Bosch EBCM and subsequent new ABS block, Lines, Sensors ect make this cost prohibitive at best and impossible at worse. I’d say it would take A LOT of time and over $3000 in parts to make this work correctly on a 2006-2008 and I’m not sure it would ever work on a 2005 with an E40 ECM.

I hope you guys enjoy this and since I gave away the information hopefully no one tries to sell this to anyone I may offer programming for these systems if you cant find a dealer to work with or would prefer to keep it quiet but that remains to be seen.
Chris,

U da man! I don't know if you remember me or not but I took you for a ride in my Midnight Blue Maggie'd '05 GTO at Pontiacs in the Park several years ago and we had dinner together one night there and a little outing to Hooter's as well. You did my GTO shift light mod there at PITP as well. Remember harassing the front desk help at the Courtyard Marriott after the Hooters trip. Maybe not, well all had one to many I think. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

I've been wondering what you've been up to.

Anyway, I'd love to do this to my 2009 Z51 Vette and have the mechanical ability but not the programming capabilities. Will you possibly be making trips around the country doing this like you did with the GTO speedo shift light mods or perhaps a mail in programming service?

Last edited by 09C6Coupe; 12-14-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM
GTPprix
Racer

Originally Posted by 09C6Coupe
Chris,

U da man! I don't know if you remember me or not but I took you for a ride in my Midnight Blue Maggie'd '05 GTO at Pontiacs in the Park several years ago and we had dinner together one night there and a little outing to Hooter's as well. You did my GTO shift light mod there at PITP as well. Remember harassing the front desk help at the Courtyard Marriott after the Hooters trip. Maybe not, well all had one to many I think. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

I've been wondering what you've been up to.

Anyway, I'd love to do this to my 2009 Z51 Vette and have the mechanical ability but not the programming capabilities. Will you possibly be making trips around the country doing this like you did with the GTO speedo shift light mods or perhaps a mail in programming service?
Yup I remember which is rare considering half the time I cant remember what I did yesterday There really wont be any traveling for this mod its a little tricky, I would be open to offering the programming though if needbe. I dont have any offboards for the EBCM made though that would take some time but its not out of the question.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Any idea if it's possible to just run the 2010 ECM in a 2006? I don't give a damn about launch control, but I'd kill to have the raised injector limit. I know the accelerator pedal assembly and throttle body would have to be swapped out, at a minimum.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
epic
Racer

Had no idea all that would be involved.

Nice work, Chris!

--Matt
Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Viper TT
Burning Brakes

Incredible job with the R&D on this! Thank you for your time, effort, and information.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Viper TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ATMER1
Thanks very much for posting this. Any idea what additional parts are needed to mod. a ZR1 besides a new console switch in addition to those you already listed?
Why would the ZR1 require a new console switch?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GTPprix....you are DA MAN, bro! Too bad my '09 will never see this since there is no way I have the skillz to reprogram the system (though I could do the manual labor with you post as guidance)

Did you actually buy the ECM and ECBM? what would be the cost to us laymen?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

If installing this in an '09 Z51 car, does it matter if you get a '10 base or grand sport ECM and EBCM?

Get notified of new replies

To Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette

Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Guess it doesn't matter, they don't hound you for the VIN like some parts guys at my local dealer... ECM for a '10 LS3 is $298.53 and the EBCM for a '10 LS3 is $752.92
Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Nice writeup!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

great right up bro...thank you

Quick Reply: Merry Christmas: How to add Launch Control to your 2009 C6 Corvette