C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

METHheadMONSTER: Using Meth Injection for non-boost applications

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with this being said I found a DYI meth system they'll save you a lot of cash. Not trying to sell anything but for those dyi guys here you go Thought I'll share with you guys http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marine&hisvette
with this being said I found a DYI meth system they'll save you a lot of cash. Not trying to sell anything but for those dyi guys here you go Thought I'll share with you guys http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
Umm .. how do you plan on metering what is being shot into the motor.

You cant use a boost switch, rpm switch, or wot switch as it wouldnt work properly. It needs to be load based so the car runs correctly on all gears and loads posed by the motor.

The pumps listed on that link will fail. Dont ask how I know. Viton is not good with alcohol=methanol.

Really.. Its the wrong car to scimp on something that could potentially damage the motor if it stayed "ON" all the time. Its not a Mitsubishi you bought from the salvation army auction for 200 bucks. Not trying to sell anything here.. but the internet is full of information. The truly best advice is follow those who have done it.. then improve upon the process if you can. Not re-invent how to cheapen out the process.. as this always leads to failure. Worse is point people in that direction.

Cost is 500'ish to tune a Corvette? Depending on shop.. your cobbled up water kit if it doesnt work as its suppossed to now cost you 500 for a poor tune. Sounds like going cheap didnt save anything.. If anything, add to the development by improving at whatever cost.. at that point you'll understand. Or worse subject the car to a ton of trail and error tuning/problems trying to re-invent the wheel in an effort to save a few bucks..

You want a cheap water injection kit.. here it is. The car has one built in from the factory. Its the windshield washer tank and its motor. Connect hose from motor to a jet and use a push button switch. Less than 20 bucks and your spraying your motor.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Julio
Umm .. how do you plan on metering what is being shot into the motor.

You cant use a boost switch, rpm switch, or wot switch as it wouldnt work properly. It needs to be load based so the car runs correctly on all gears and loads posed by the motor.

The pumps listed on that link will fail. Dont ask how I know. Viton is not good with alcohol=methanol.

Really.. Its the wrong car to scimp on something that could potentially damage the motor if it stayed "ON" all the time. Its not a Mitsubishi you bought from the salvation army auction for 200 bucks. Not trying to sell anything here.. but the internet is full of information. The truly best advice is follow those who have done it.. then improve upon the process if you can. Not re-invent how to cheapen out the process.. as this always leads to failure. Worse is point people in that direction.

Cost is 500'ish to tune a Corvette? Depending on shop.. your cobbled up water kit if it doesnt work as its suppossed to now cost you 500 for a poor tune. Sounds like going cheap didnt save anything.. If anything, add to the development by improving at whatever cost.. at that point you'll understand. Or worse subject the car to a ton of trail and error tuning/problems trying to re-invent the wheel in an effort to save a few bucks..

You want a cheap water injection kit.. here it is. The car has one built in from the factory. Its the windshield washer tank and its motor. Connect hose from motor to a jet and use a push button switch. Less than 20 bucks and your spraying your motor.
Julio
Well said, why reinvent a tried and tested system.
My MAF actuated system along with ramp and motor adjustments makes this a simple tune able system.
The Alky system also has a great pump THAT IS COMPATIBLE with water/alky, and will outlast the competition.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Was just an idea... A guy on ls1tech told me about this.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Charlie got another 10hp out of tuning my meth system recently at an RPM dyno day. The little LS2's running like a champ! I was initally interested in using meth inj. because of this thread.

How's your car doing, any new projects in the works?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
chrisfrost
1st Gear

Just My .02cents . Why does 80 proof barely burn or not at all but 100 proof burns very well ?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 AM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Great Write Up
Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 AM
c6vette142dude
Pro

Good write as always Spin! I'm going to be run'n Meth on my .408 setup. The shop just ordered the stroker kit... can't wait!

With regards to St. Jude's, It's my favority charity! I've been donating to them bi-monthy for a tad over 5 years now. The way I see it, It's on us to make this place a better world. I would hope that those that can afford to, will pass it on... so to speak. I'm sure that most here do in their own way, but with the daily grind of life, it's easy to forget about the less fortunate.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Charlie got another 10hp out of tuning my meth system recently at an RPM dyno day. The little LS2's running like a champ! I was initally interested in using meth inj. because of this thread.

How's your car doing, any new projects in the works?
It makes a bigger difference in hotter climates and in places where you can only get 91octane fuel.

I sold my corvette. Im not sure what Im getting next yet. I'm thinking of just upgrading to a huge house before prices get silly again.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

What nozzle would Julio, Spin and/or ECS recommend for a car making less to 700rwhp and possibly more at some point?

Last edited by Detoxx03; 12-30-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
What nozzle would Julio, Spin and/or ECS recommend for a car making lee to 700rwhp and possibly more at some point?
No one that is N/A is making 700rwhp. Those would be FI applications and use the standard nozzles sold for FI kits such as a dual 10 or single 15gph.

On an N/a car, you would use a 7gph nozzle around 500-550. Max effort N/a cars over 600-650 would be 10gph as these cars run leaner than forced induction cars.

Im aware that there are N/a engines near 700rwhp that used solid roller, carbed intakes, and race fuels. My crew has built a 904hp n/a motor on a Gen II platform but its not pump gas (nit-meth) and meth injection isa step backward on such a fuel.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Ok well in my case and some of my friends were are all using forced induction.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Ok well in my case and some of my friends were are all using forced induction.
Thats ok. Kits typically come with appropriate nozzles. This thread was for non boost applications as per its title to make awareness of its use for N/A cars.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Thats ok. Kits typically come with appropriate nozzles. This thread was for non boost applications as per its title to make awareness of its use for N/A cars.
Understood already but I was just curious so thanks anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice writeup as always..

Looks like I gotta get my setup from my FI days put back on...

What's up Julio... PM me w/ what I need to send you for a new alky pump.... I've "revived" the one I have way too much, it's time for one of your special ones
Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

great write up..
Old 10-26-2013, 05:20 PM
knightz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a ls3 416 at 12-1 comp going into my c5z , plan is to hit it with a 175 shot on occasion , spin do you still reccomend the alky kit and has anyone with a similar motor set up had results they might be willing to share

Get notified of new replies

To METHheadMONSTER: Using Meth Injection for non-boost applications

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

I'm getting some questions that have to do with a misunderstanding of why this works and how its tuned in. It isn't tuned in.

For those thinking its dangerous if the meth doesn't fire, there is no danger because unlike FI, the power gains are not from adding timing on the timing table.

The meth power gains come from the cooler IAT's and are built into the tune already because spraying meth cools the IAT and then the computer doesn't pull timing.

To illustrate, on a normal hot day of driving, your car is running underhood temps that can hit 120+ degrees. In that case, the engine is pulling timing. With an untuned meth kit spraying, it runs the same tune but lowers the IATs 30+ degrees so it pulls less timing thus you have a hotter tune. Instead of accessing the 113 or 122 timing column, it accesses the 77 or 86 degree column and a 90 degree day can have the power of a 60 degree day.

Name:  3dmoedl.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  76.2 KB

If the meth runs out or fails to fire, there is no danger as the car runs the tune the way it always did with timing being controlled by the IAT vs Timing table.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 05-24-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

As always, great info!
Old 05-24-2014, 02:55 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I'm getting some questions that have to do with a misunderstanding of why this works and how its tuned in. It isn't tuned in.

For those thinking its dangerous if the meth doesn't fire, there is no danger because unlike FI, the power gains are not from adding timing on the timing table.

The meth power gains come from the cooler IAT's and are built into the tune already because spraying meth cools the IAT and then the computer doesn't pull timing.

To illustrate, on a normal hot day of driving, your car is running underhood temps that can hit 120+ degrees. In that case, the engine is pulling timing. With an untuned meth kit spraying, it runs the same tune but lowers the IATs 30+ degrees so it pulls less timing thus you have a hotter tune. Instead of accessing the 113 or 122 timing column, it accesses the 77 or 86 degree column and a 90 degree day can have the power of a 60 degree day.

If the meth runs out or fails to fire, there is no danger as the car runs the tune the way it always did with timing being controlled by the IAT vs Timing table.
Admittedly I am very ignorant on the subject and have not yet read the entire thread, although I plan to.

So I could add a Meth kit to my current H/C C6, without changing the tune, and still see some gains?

Quick Reply: METHheadMONSTER: Using Meth Injection for non-boost applications