C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 to C6 Differential swap...DIY write-up????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 to C6 Differential swap...DIY write-up????

I've come to the decision of swapping in a C5 diff in my 05 C6. A built 06up diff is a little pricey right now and I need my car up and running soon. Fontana Speedway is open on Halloween day and I want to run down the 1/4 instead of the 1/8 mile for a change.

Does anyone know if there's a write-up for this type of swap. I want to know exactly what is involved to get it done. I've read different threads on this subject but nothing detailed. I know I need to weld in a custom bracket to the cradle in order to bolt up the C5 diff but where and how thick does the plate need to be. I was told Cartek has the special brackets but I didn't see them on their site.

If anyone can post some instructions/pictures or provide a link to some, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm sure i'm not the only CF member who wants to do this swap.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:05 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Check with members "Joe G" and maybe "Dennis50NJ". I know Joe has done it but not sure if Dennis has but either one is a good start.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
Check with members "Joe G" and maybe "Dennis50NJ". I know Joe has done it but not sure if Dennis has but either one is a good start.
Ya Joe said he had the C5 rear in his C6 and if i'm not mistaking I think he used the Cartek brackets too.

I figured maybe someone had maybe done a writeup on it on how everything came together.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My shop did it for me - you have to call Cartek and tell them you want the conversion brackets. Takes a little time to get them so order now, it's less than $300 for the bracketry. You could measure and make it yourself I guess...but my shop said for that price just buy the brackets they've got he experience in making it the right sizes to make it work.

It's next to impossible to get any pictures that will mean anything without a lift. But with the brackets it's easy to understand what's going on.

There is an aluminum plate that welds to the cradle under the new diff...that plate has bolt holes in it, and you pass the bolts through it and the spacer bracket into the factory mounts in the C5 diff. You also have to grind down some of the cooling fins on the C5 diff a little to fit over the C6 cradle.

You don't use your C6 side covers with the integrated forward brackets anymore as the bolt holes on the C5 diff don't all line up.. According to Spin, some guys have modded their side covers to work, but I didn't want to go through the ha$$le on my setup.

My main reason for going the C5 route is that the diffs are so much cheaper than the upgraded C6 diffs (you can get 2 C5's for the price of 1 C6) - and if you drag race as much as I do I need to be prepared to replace the diff.

Last edited by Joe_G; 09-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
My shop did it for me - you have to call Cartek and tell them you want the conversion brackets. Takes a little time to get them so order now, it's less than $300 for the bracketry. You could measure and make it yourself I guess...but my shop said for that price just buy the brackets they've got he experience in making it the right sizes to make it work.

It's next to impossible to get any pictures that will mean anything without a lift. But with the brackets it's easy to understand what's going on.

There is an aluminum plate that welds to the cradle under the new diff...that plate has bolt holes in it, and you pass the bolts through it and the spacer bracket into the factory mounts in the C5 diff. You also have to grind down some of the cooling fins on the C5 diff a little to fit over the C6 cradle.

You don't use your C6 side covers with the integrated forward brackets anymore as the bolt holes on the C5 diff don't all line up.. According to Spin, some guys have modded their side covers to work, but I didn't want to go through the ha$$le on my setup.

My main reason for going the C5 route is that the diffs are so much cheaper than the upgraded C6 diffs (you can get 2 C5's for the price of 1 C6) - and if you drag race as much as I do I need to be prepared to replace the diff.
Thanks for the input Joe.

I guess the only thing I'm concerned about is if the Cartek brackets come which some type of template or instructions so I know exactly where to weld the bracket. I would hate to weld in a bracket and find out it's not aligned right.

So if i understand you right...all I need to do is weld in the Cartek brackets to the cradle and grind off a few cooling fins for clearance?

Sounds like a few hrs of fun. If I remember i'll be sure and take plenty of pics for those future gear heads looking to do this very same mod.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Sparo2
Thanks for the input Joe.

I guess the only thing I'm concerned about is if the Cartek brackets come which some type of template or instructions so I know exactly where to weld the bracket. I would hate to weld in a bracket and find out it's not aligned right.

So if i understand you right...all I need to do is weld in the Cartek brackets to the cradle and grind off a few cooling fins for clearance?

Sounds like a few hrs of fun. If I remember i'll be sure and take plenty of pics for those future gear heads looking to do this very same mod.
You got it right! You'll see where to weld the plate, it's pretty obvious when you look at it. I also think, but am not positive, that the plate has slots for a bit of fudge factor.

Since I didn't do the install myself I'm talking only from my observations and it's hard to see when it's all installed....your picture how-to would be a welcome addition for the folks with 05 diffs!!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

You got it right! You'll see where to weld the plate, it's pretty obvious when you look at it. I also think, but am not positive, that the plate has slots for a bit of fudge factor.

Since I didn't do the install myself I'm talking only from my observations and it's hard to see when it's all installed....your picture how-to would be a welcome addition for the folks with 05 diffs!!
How long did you wait for the brackets? I'm guessing they don't make them till you order it.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

How long did you wait for the brackets? I'm guessing they don't make them till you order it.
That's correct. I think it took a little over a week to get them and you're a couple of extra days via UPS than me so I'd call Monday if I was you and you want to make your Halloween deadline...don't forget you have to break in your new rear with not only miles but heat cycles.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, how many passes do you have on the C5 diff?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bent
Joe, how many passes do you have on the C5 diff?

Been raining here every Saturday...including today...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been raining here every Saturday...including today...
Oh damn...I didn't realize that you had to swap it that recently.....haven't been spending much time in tech/perf.

I hope everything works out for you.

op-sorry to jack your thread.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 3.42 diff (A4) in my wrecked 2000 C5 along with a forged LS3, and I plan to put the motor and diff in my '05 Z51 M6 C6 (3.73). I did notice some people are using the C6 Z06 diff with the larger ring gear in their C6 with the later transmission tailhousing.

Since I have the C5 diff (probably should drop it off for a rebuild) and a supercharged LS3 could use the lower ratio, maybe that's the better path for me. Or is the Z06 diff the right path? Hmm...
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

The C6Z diff requires a new trans mainshaft too so that only works when you are rebuilding the trans too.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The C6Z diff requires a new trans mainshaft too so that only works when you are rebuilding the trans too.
This is true but that is also a good time to convert the trans to heavy duty synchronizer keys and bronze fork pads.

BTW. If you snap off the existing mainshaft like I did you have to replace it anyway.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by saplumr
This is true but that is also a good time to convert the trans to heavy duty synchronizer keys and bronze fork pads.

BTW. If you snap off the existing mainshaft like I did you have to replace it anyway.
Very true.

But the C5 swap is much cheaper than the C6Z swap and I don't think you can get any 3.90 or 4.10 gears for the c6Z diff. Those that have gears never want to go back. Well a least I would never want to go back.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Very true.

But the C5 swap is much cheaper than the C6Z swap and I don't think you can get any 3.90 or 4.10 gears for the c6Z diff. Those that have gears never want to go back. Well a least I would never want to go back.
True on all counts!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Well I called Cartek today. Looks like they do the modification to the cradle there. They said they don't sell the brackets only. Looks like that plan is out.

Does anyone have pics of the bracket/plate they used or a pic of the modified cradle?

Joe,

Would you by any chance know the thickness of the plate they welded in your cradle? Looks like i'll have to do this myself.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 to C6 Differential swap...DIY write-up????

Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Well I called Cartek today. Looks like they do the modification to the cradle there. They said they don't sell the brackets only. Looks like that plan is out.

Does anyone have pics of the bracket/plate they used or a pic of the modified cradle?

Joe,

Would you by any chance know the thickness of the plate they welded in your cradle? Looks like i'll have to do this myself.
Hmmm. I don't think I am special, though my shop does have a relationship with them....and I bought it from them.

Did you speak to Max? Did you tell them you are from the Forum?

I'll see if I can get some pics and measurments for you, though it's hard to see. I'll also see if my shop can help.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Hmmm. I don't think I am special, though my shop does have a relationship with them....and I bought it from them.

Did you speak to Max? Did you tell them you are from the Forum?

I'll see if I can get some pics and measurments for you, though it's hard to see. I'll also see if my shop can help.
Yes, I spoke to Max. He told me to just come and drop the car off and he'll modify it for me. I told him, "that might be kinda hard with me being in SoCal". He said he can modify it if I send him the cradle but that can prove a little pricey trying to ship it there and back. He did however tell me that i can just go with the 06up diff but I don't want to go that route. Just like you said Joe, C5 diffs are much cheaper to build.

Thanks Joe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get my hands on some pics or some measurements, i'm sure i can pull this off with no problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any idea if the mount is custom made, or adapted from another application?

Quick Reply: C5 to C6 Differential swap...DIY write-up????