C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do C6s break at the strip with only bolt ons??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 AM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do C6s break at the strip with only bolt ons??

I've got an '08 A6 that's soon to get headers, a vararam and a Chuck CoW tune. I'd like to add some drag radials and do a little Friday night bracket racing. At this power level do I need to worry about breaking stuff and if so what?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude these cars are bullet proof. I have the "weak" 05 which is supposed to have bad rear ends and Ive launched my car over and over again. Probably at least 200 plus times some times 20 times in one night. This includes burnouts WOT runs you name it. There arent many guys that drive as hard as I do and Ive never broke my car. Ive had some small issues but NONE related to racing or driving hard. Put some D/R's on that bad boy and dont look back.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 AM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i got a bolt-on LS2 with a 3600 stall, 3.42 gears and with my DR i pull 1.60s at the drag strip and i haven't had a problem.

with the A6 you will be fine, its the MN6 guys that are breaking thing

dicky
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol @ "these cars are bullet proof". You've got an anti-lemon, sir. Your car is the exception to the rule. An '05 with full bolt on's and a manual tranny having over 200 successful passes on it would be considered a factory freak.

My C6 is the most fragile, tempermental, and unreliable car I've ever owned. I love it when it's functioning properly, but it has been down for the count more than it has been operational.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
bterwilliger
Racer

Don't know where the 'fragile 05' comes from. I have run with 2 other guys in 05s up here and none of us have ever had an issue. 2 stock, 1 LT headers, ported intake & tb and tune, all m6's.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bterwilliger
Don't know where the 'fragile 05' comes from. I have run with 2 other guys in 05s up here and none of us have ever had an issue. 2 stock, 1 LT headers, ported intake & tb and tune, all m6's.
it all depends on how aggressive you launch, and wheel hop is the main breaker
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

2005 C6 differentials are junk. Stupid GM puts 50 additional horsepower over the C5, then saves $5 worth of alluminum by engineering a thinner case. As the pinion attempts to rotate the ring gear, it also attempts to push it toward the right side of the case. The case can literally explode. When GM realized their mistake, their eleventh hour fix was the torque management software they installed in all the cars. Basically, it reduced the engines output in first and second gears in an attempt to save the differentials. It was a BS fix. If you don't drive hard, you'll probably never have an issue, but install a set of drag radials and attempt a hard launch, and you'll see what we mean. When the first C6's came out, differential case failures were a big deal. I suspect that the reason we don't hear much anymore is those with the 05's, and like to drive their cars hard, have moved on to newer models. Those of us who don't have that luxury, must drive their cars like grandma. To make a point, I have PS2 tires, and with 22k miles on the, they still look like new, even the rears!

I guess that's a good thing?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
A lot easier to keep it in one piece with an automatic too.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
silvervette05
Racer

you have an auto so i would say you are ok..as for me i have the mn6..and i have broken 2 tranny roll pins in one year..due to excessive hard shifting..I'd say go to the track and have a blast bud..
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
I'm on the stock converter so 1500 is the limit on launches. With the car stock except for Nitto Invos I find that driving it out nets pretty much the same time as trying to launch it.....stinkin torque management. About 30 or so passes and so far no wheel hop, its either spin or hook, no hop. As far as breakage, even with DRs I figure I'm safe at bolt on power levels as long as I don't do anything stupid.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Lol @ "these cars are bullet proof". You've got an anti-lemon, sir. Your car is the exception to the rule. An '05 with full bolt on's and a manual tranny having over 200 successful passes on it would be considered a factory freak.

My C6 is the most fragile, tempermental, and unreliable car I've ever owned. I love it when it's functioning properly, but it has been down for the count more than it has been operational.
I am sorry to hear that... My C6 has nearly 60,000 miles, with almost 30thousand of those on boost, putting down 600horsepower to the rear wheels. My rear tires are foot wide racing compounds, and the car has been autocrossed numerous times, driven across the country (twice), been to the drag strip 5 times, been 190+ miles an hour, and so far only ONE thing broke:

My clutch return spring... The dealer fixed it the same day, for free.

I think you've got a lemon.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmigpilot
I'm on the stock converter so 1500 is the limit on launches. With the car stock except for Nitto Invos I find that driving it out nets pretty much the same time as trying to launch it.....stinkin torque management. About 30 or so passes and so far no wheel hop, its either spin or hook, no hop. As far as breakage, even with DRs I figure I'm safe at bolt on power levels as long as I don't do anything stupid.
hi Dan, you have the 08 its a lot stronger then the 05, i haven't had any rear differential breakage but had an axle break in the spindle, but like you say, don't drive stupid and you should be fine, i have many launches with drs in the 1.41 60 ft range, and remember no candy canes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
bps999
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of launches and wheelhop... I have a stock 07 z51 manual on original tires and I am curious what others with this car are experiencing at the strip... For me, the tires, which are likely hardened from age, limit my 60 ft time to about 2.1. Any more aggressive and they spin. This means my lauch is very gentle (smooth but quick drive away off idle) so I dont worry about breaking parts there. However I do get a shutter/wheelhop at the
1-2 shift about half the time, and even on the 2-3 shift once in a while. How does this compare to your experiences, and is breaking parts downtrack at the shiftpoints common??
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

His is a stalled auto and I can vouch to what batmobile said, he drives the shat out of it!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Like the others have said. the auto will last a lot longer than an M6 because of the launch. most M6 launches around my area are at 5000 rpm or more. when it hooks the weakest link will go sooner or later. Stock autos should be fine and last.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Hey Dicky,

WHat year is your C6? where the 3.42's, what I call tallrt gears the tallest you can put in a stock rear end. I love the 3.42's and am wanting to replace my stock 2.56's or what ever comes in these 2007 A6's.

Do you know if you can put 3.73's or 3.90's in a stock rear end?

Originally Posted by dicky
i got a bolt-on LS2 with a 3600 stall, 3.42 gears and with my DR i pull 1.60s at the drag strip and i haven't had a problem.

with the A6 you will be fine, its the MN6 guys that are breaking thing

dicky

Get notified of new replies

To Do C6s break at the strip with only bolt ons??

Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by bps999
speaking of launches and wheelhop... I have a stock 07 z51 manual on original tires and I am curious what others with this car are experiencing at the strip... For me, the tires, which are likely hardened from age, limit my 60 ft time to about 2.1. Any more aggressive and they spin. This means my lauch is very gentle (smooth but quick drive away off idle) so I dont worry about breaking parts there. However I do get a shutter/wheelhop at the
1-2 shift about half the time, and even on the 2-3 shift once in a while. How does this compare to your experiences, and is breaking parts downtrack at the shiftpoints common??
Yes it's possible to break something on the shifts, especially if wheelhop is induced. To the OP w/ an auto and no stall, you shouldn't break anything unless you're revving it up in neutral and dropping it into gear!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dads toy
Hey Dicky,

WHat year is your C6? where the 3.42's, what I call tallrt gears the tallest you can put in a stock rear end. I love the 3.42's and am wanting to replace my stock 2.56's or what ever comes in these 2007 A6's.

Do you know if you can put 3.73's or 3.90's in a stock rear end?
mine is an 06, the lowest gears for the A6 to my knowledge is the 3.42s

dicky
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dads toy
Like the others have said. the auto will last a lot longer than an M6 because of the launch. most M6 launches around my area are at 5000 rpm or more. when it hooks the weakest link will go sooner or later. Stock autos should be fine and last.
You guys must have some incredible tires... I've got 100 threadwear tires an anything over 2200RPMs just blows them away...

Quick Reply: Do C6s break at the strip with only bolt ons??