C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno'd today...great numbers!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
PowerLabs wasn't trying to be a know it all although he can be a wise azz at times like the rest of us. However, what he said is correct and he was just trying to show you how the Mustang dyno isn't the most accurate as you had claimed. It's a common misconception about the Mustang dyno because the operator inputs the weight and aero characteristics of the car and it's claimed to make it more accurate. However, they are just fudge factors that soon become tools for manipulating numbers...think about it, the car is sitting stationary on the dyno rollers, what does the weight and aero of the car have to do with the engine producing HP? Absolutely nothing! And that was the point PowerLabs was trying to make. Without a baseline run before your mods, these numbers are really useless as far as most members here are concerned. A chassis dyno is a tool to tune an engine and track HP improvements from mods and nothing else. Don't forget that HP is one of the least understood entities in the universe...just ask AirBusPilot.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I've been in a terrible mood since a stupid pothole in Manhattan sent my Corvette to the shop nearly 3 weeks ago and its still not done
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
ChopShop1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, sorry to hear about your car powerlabs, that sucks. I get what you guys ar saying, just stating my side also. We are all going to think the way that we want and thats all there is to it.

HP is almost always misunderstood. Most people don't get that torque(usable torque) is what gets you into a position to be able to even use HP. My concern is with a good curve and usable power. I have that and am happy. Many people here however are interested in the numbers, and that is why I posted the sheet. A number of people asked to see it, so I obliged.

So much in the performance game is relative. You could have a car capable of 9's and min of only 11's. If the driver of the 9sec car doesn't have good rubber or abilities, does that mean that the HP of the fastr car is useless, No, it just means that it is in the wrong hands and being used incorrectly.

I thank you both for contributing to the thread, you ar knowledgable and bring usefull info with you.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Don't forget that HP is one of the least understood entities in the universe...just ask AirBusPilot.
Yeah, though I'd just clarify that it's only misunderstood by you to such a degree. Now, quit your crying and move on. lol "glass slippper", lol, if only we knew the story behind that name. lol
Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
ChopShop1
Racer

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Yeah, though I'd just clarify that it's only misunderstood by you to such a degree. Now, quit your crying and move on. lol "glass slippper", lol, if only we knew the story behind that name. lol
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Chopshop is on his way.

The numbers you have now must be your base or starting numbers and we all agree you are happy with the performance of the car. If there was one single thing that you can do is add a PORTED FAST from Jeremy Formato
or SPINMONSTER. I dont know anybody that did not get 20 HP or TQ out
of a PORTED FAST. In your case looking at your dyno curve the car seems to be begging for a PORTED FAST or even a PORTED OEM. The low
and midrange torque will increase dramatically and may be more in line with your HP number. Your peak horsepower may not increase as much as the TORQUE. If I had to MOD all over again in hinesight or rather pick one single item that gave me the most it would be in this order and keeping in mind a tune is required each time a item was added.
1. PORTED FAST gave me the most.
2. LGLT's gave me a lot
3. PORTED TB gave me a little but affected driveability the most.

4.10 gears did not add anything to engine HP or TQ but the way the car ran it felt like it picked up about 50 hp.
Just my take as you have much to think about as you plan future mods.
good luck Leon
Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
ChopShop1
Racer

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
The numbers you have now must be your base or starting numbers and we all agree you are happy with the performance of the car. If there was one single thing that you can do is add a PORTED FAST from Jeremy Formato
or SPINMONSTER. I dont know anybody that did not get 20 HP or TQ out
of a PORTED FAST. In your case looking at your dyno curve the car seems to be begging for a PORTED FAST or even a PORTED OEM. The low
and midrange torque will increase dramatically and may be more in line with your HP number. Your peak horsepower may not increase as much as the TORQUE. If I had to MOD all over again in hinesight or rather pick one single item that gave me the most it would be in this order and keeping in mind a tune is required each time a item was added.
1. PORTED FAST gave me the most.
2. LGLT's gave me a lot
3. PORTED TB gave me a little but affected driveability the most.

4.10 gears did not add anything to engine HP or TQ but the way the car ran it felt like it picked up about 50 hp.
Just my take as you have much to think about as you plan future mods.
good luck Leon

That sounds about right. I am talking with my tuner now and have some thoughts. A ported fast, and a good mild cam that will work now and later with the addition of the blower seems to be the direction. I am anticipating that the fast will beef the hell out of the torque and the cam will help with some more power. Possible talk of adding a pulley while the cam is being done.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Rick at Synergy ( used to be ƒorum sponsor ) uses a Dynapack Chassie dyno also.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 AM
TurrizT
Racer

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
From one enthusiast to another: Nonsense,
This is a Mustang Dyno:
For more information, I encourage anyone excited about dyno racing to pick up a copy of:

16 dollars very well spent... You'll even learn HOW you can play with your car and the dyno to get even more "record breaking" numbers
hahaha right! What really matters is if owner is happy with the car or for all the haters, a simple meeting at the track... They can argue about the calibration of the quarter mile equipment when a member runs a faster time than normal...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:53 AM
ChopShop1
Racer

Originally Posted by TurrizT
hahaha right! What really matters is if owner is happy with the car or for all the haters, a simple meeting at the track... They can argue about the calibration of the quarter mile equipment when a member runs a faster time than normal...

Old 09-19-2009, 08:43 AM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default A gruge race

Originally Posted by TurrizT
Are you suggesting that there be a gruge race at the track between
CHOPSHOP and POWERLABS. Well his car is in the garage for repair. When
he gets out he may or may not agree. If he does it may go like this

POWERLAPS : Approx 600 rwhp Supercharged
CHOPSHOP : Approx 400 rwhp Bolton

HANDICAP + 2 SEC start for CHOPSHOP
APPROX QUARTER MILE SPEEDS
CHOPSHOP 121MPH
POWERLABS 136MPH

Would be an interesting race if both cars had a little seat time and similar traction capabilities and reaction time. Thats the way it was done in the old days with the slower cat in this case getting a 4 light
spot before the faster car starts moving.
Somewhere in PA please so I could attend.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 AM
ChopShop1
Racer

CHOPSHOP 121MPH
POWERLABS 136MPH

Would be an interesting race if both cars had a little seat time and similar traction capabilities and reaction time. Thats the way it was done in the old days with the slower cat in this case getting a 4 light
I was talking more along the lines of racing some guys from the forum with similar mods that are claiming less power. If in fact one of those cars beats me, then we know one of two things, I suck as a driver(not likely) or that my numbers on the dyno don't meen much and I have the same kind of power as everyone else with similar mods. It doesn't much matter to me, but it would be fun and getting a solid 1/4 time that would also show my car has good power relative to the mods would be fun. I have never run at a track around here, but if thre are events and anyon is going, fill me in
Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 PM
TurrizT
Racer

CHOPSHOP 121MPH
POWERLABS 136MPH

Actually I was generalizing. Hopefully that guy doesnt consider himself a hater...
Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Actually, it was you that was the only one that didn't get it in the other thread. Everybody else did with several thanking me in the thread. A few PMed me to thank me for a good explanation...you don't want to know what they had to say about you. Me crying??? As I remember it, you were the one calling me names and I left it at that.

I'll be happy to tell you the story behind my screen name although I know you're just being immature and mean spirited by trying to imply something about my sexuality. I have a daughter who was born in '87 and when she was about 4, I bought a 34' Scarab named "Need For Speed".

She has always been very intelligent and we were having a discussion about the boat and my '71 'Vette when I told her they were both fiberglass but the car had wheels to roll on. Of course her being curious, she asked how the boat moved on the water and I told her the bottom was slick so it could slip through the water. As she made the connection and sounded out the boat fiberglass "slipping" through the water, Cinderella was her favorite movie at the time and she made the jump to glass slipper because she knew the Scarab was my "dream" boat that fit me perfectly like Cinderella's glass slipper fit her and it was a fairy tale come true. Not long after that, a tradegy struck my daughter that turned her little world upside down. She was scared and endured a lot of pain and suffering that I had no power over. All I could do was try to be strong for her and give her comfort and what little happiness I could. It was the hardest thing I had to do and I always tried to hold my tears for when she wasn't around so I could wipe hers away. However, I found my strength had limits...there was one particularly bad time her tears were just too devastating for me and I cried with her, I thank God we were in church where others were able to give us the comfort we needed. I still have the "Footsteps in the Sand" prayer on my stove to remind me we can't be strong all of the time and it's ok to ask for help.

One of the things I did was rename the boat "Glass Slipper" just for her. She loved the boat the few times she was able to go on it and the name change was a simple thing to do but it always lifted her spirits to see it.

Fast forward to 2002 and we finally got an opportunity for a miracle. I put all the money I had towards it and it was a hard year for both of us, but in 2003 she got her "miracle". We have a very strong bond that was formed over the years as I admired her for a toughness I don't think I could have mustered and she'll always remember I was there for her giving her hope. I will always have the boat and it'll always be named "Glass Slipper" in honor of her and that dreams/"fairy tales" can come true. I took "Glass Slipper" as my screen name so I'll always remember dreams can come true, to never give up, and the love between a father-daughter.

While we'll always remember the past and what it took to get here today, I prefer to live today and look forward to many more happy days. This is her today.

We both autocross my ZR-1 in the picture above and she has a '99 Corvette. She's no slouch on the track as she beats most of the guys in the club and has set overall FTD for the women in our stock car. She has a great attitude, a great personality, and is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet. She's just a good kid but I'm her father so I'm suppose to say that. She's in college, has a job, and a nice boyfriend...life is indeed good.

This is truly a happy ending to what was a sad story. I hope you got what you were looking for and wish you the best.

To ChopShop1:
Sorry for hijacking your thread to answer AirBusPilot. Like I said, forget about what the numbers are because as long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Go to the race track and race to your hearts content against as many people as you can find but most importantly...just enjoy life.

Last edited by glass slipper; 09-19-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 PM
ChopShop1
Racer

Hey Glass Sliper...That is truely touching, I have a seven year old daughter and am sure It was the toughest time of your life. I am very glad for you that things got better, you are blessed in that. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:57 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopShop1
I was talking more along the lines of racing some guys from the forum with similar mods that are claiming less power. If in fact one of those cars beats me, then we know one of two things, I suck as a driver(not likely) or that my numbers on the dyno don't meen much and I have the same kind of power as everyone else with similar mods. It doesn't much matter to me, but it would be fun and getting a solid 1/4 time that would also show my car has good power relative to the mods would be fun. I have never run at a track around here, but if thre are events and anyon is going, fill me in

I'd be happy to meet up with you if you were in my area, but you can use my times as comparison if you want.

This weekend my car went 117.80, 117.80, 117.89 and 117.99 mph in the 1/4 at 12.16-12.21

Same mods as you minus the ported throttle body and I put down 367rwhp. You should trap easily over 120 and be well into the 11s making 40 more at the wheels in similar conditions

Density Altitude was +1700...for comparison

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 09-21-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChopShop1
That sounds about right. I am talking with my tuner now and have some thoughts. A ported fast, and a good mild cam that will work now and later with the addition of the blower seems to be the direction. I am anticipating that the fast will beef the hell out of the torque and the cam will help with some more power. Possible talk of adding a pulley while the cam is being done.
No reason not to add an UD pulley when doing the cam swap. You're already there and it's an easy ~7rwhp to swap it.

Definitely do it.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
No reason not to add an UD pulley when doing the cam swap. You're already there and it's an easy ~7rwhp to swap it.

Definitely do it.
One good reason: he said he wants a blower; the UD pulley would have to be removed then. A smarter thing to do would be getting a blower friendly cam and pin the crank while installing it.

Great story, Glass_Slipper, very touching. Your daughter turned out a beautiful lady.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 09-21-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Yeah I missed the part about the Blower...only read adding FAST and cam.

That's what happens when I skim

Quick Reply: Dyno'd today...great numbers!!