C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Horn stopped working?

Just out of the blue?

Checked the fuse, good...checked the relay by switching it with the high beam relay (same part/relay) and still no horn?

When I hit the steering wheel pad I get a clicking sound near the under hood fuse box?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
John
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Hello.....anybody there?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 PM
shockwaveharry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Hello.....anybody there?
If you can't honk your horn, how are you going to get anyone's attention??

Starting with the obvious, is the horn still there? if so, is it plugged in? I don't have a diagram but I'm pretty sure there isn't much between the relay and the horn so... You really need to know if the horn is getting power and if the circuit is properly grounded. If you don't have DVOM or, failing that, a fused test light to check for power and ground at the horn, you could have someone tap the horn button while you put a finger on the relay. Is it clicking? if it is then the prob is downstream of the relay. Check the horn connector. You could also rap on the horn with a screwdriver handle while a helper pushes the horn switch. If you get a peep or some other inconsistent sound than you could replace the horn with confidence. If you still only hear the sound of silence then you have to step up with the proper tools or a mechanic capable of fogging a mirror. It should be a fairly simple fix at a shop.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks for the help, when I hit the horn I can hear a clicking sound at the relay....I believe that means the horn is toast with everything else checking out (fuse, relay, pushing horn pad).
Looks like I am replacing the horn(s) on a 3 year old car??
Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

The horn(s) is(are) mounted in a vertical upwards facing direction.
Therefore, if you should encounter a torrential downpour, or drive through some standing water, you can get water in those "collectors" (horns).
This happened to me. After maybe 6 months or so, they stopped working... dead/flat/not a whimper. Upon checking, they were completely rusted out inside. So, a quick replacement of the horn(s), and mounting them in a downward facing direction (to circumvent any future similar problems) solved the issue.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
The horn(s) is(are) mounted in a vertical upwards facing direction.
Therefore, if you should encounter a torrential downpour, or drive through some standing water, you can get water in those "collectors" (horns).
This happened to me. After maybe 6 months or so, they stopped working... dead/flat/not a whimper. Upon checking, they were completely rusted out inside. So, a quick replacement of the horn(s), and mounting them in a downward facing direction (to circumvent any future similar problems) solved the issue.
Thanks for the info, I will follow your lead and mount them in a downward position!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same problem.Before replacing the horns get under the car and with one hand back the horn off ( it screws on ) and with the other hand press the panic button on your fob.If the horn doesn't work then it's probably time for some new horns.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
nutrientcobra
Instructor

Thanks for the info, I will follow your lead and mount them in a downward position!
I just got mine back from the dealer on this same deal. One horn quit working than both and no alarm horn when locking the doors with the fob. Just clicking, checked realays and fuses. Everything seemed ok. It happened after washing the car well. The dealer had to replace both horns, and replace some wiring some kind of wiring harness they told me. All is well now.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Ahh, thanks.

I think I am going to mess with this tonight, probably just pick up the horn(s) from an auto parts store instead of dealer.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
sharifvw
Advanced

I'm having the same problem. Can someone tell me where the horn is located. I just got my C6.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sharifvw
I'm having the same problem. Can someone tell me where the horn is located. I just got my C6.
Passenger side to the "right" of the radiator(when sitting in the car). You can actually pop the hood and stick your hand right under the frame rail and you will feel them. To access, jack up the car and pull the plastic lining off where the brake duct hole is located. Voila!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Seems to be a common problem. My low tone horn quit, leaving me with a super wimpy high pitched squeal of a horn from my bad s$$ black wheeled wide body Vette. The bark sure doesn't match the look. Guess I need to fix that.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Seems to be a common problem. My low tone horn quit, leaving me with a super wimpy high pitched squeal of a horn from my bad s$$ black wheeled wide body Vette. The bark sure doesn't match the look. Guess I need to fix that.
Same just happened to me too Joe. A week or two later the other went out so now I've got nothing. Found myself in need of those little guys the last time I was on the hwy and a soccer mom was texting and driving trying to get cozy in my lane over the hash marks.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

How about this thread coming back to life

You guy's won't believe this but all I did was unplug & clean the connections and plug back in and my horns worked.....start there!

Otherwise, I have a brand new horn still in the box if any of you want to pay $10 less advertised price and that will include shipping to ANYWHERE!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

How about this thread coming back to life

You guy's won't believe this but all I did was unplug & clean the connections and plug back in and my horns worked.....start there!

Otherwise, I have a brand new horn still in the box if any of you want to pay $10 less advertised price and that will include shipping to ANYWHERE!
Whoa.....how nice is that! You must be from St. Louis. Lol.

Hold that horn for me John! I'll check mine this weekend and let you know if I need it. Does it happen to be a low tone?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

where it is 28 degrees right now!

Not sure if it is high or low, will take a look tonight and let you know Joe

John
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
sharifvw
Advanced

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Passenger side to the "right" of the radiator(when sitting in the car). You can actually pop the hood and stick your hand right under the frame rail and you will feel them. To access, jack up the car and pull the plastic lining off where the brake duct hole is located. Voila!
Thanks! I just called the dealer and they will fix it because they sold an "unsafe" vehicle. The only thing is I have to drive an hour to get there, but they made the buying experience really good and fast, and I don't mind driving a great car!

Get notified of new replies

To Horn stopped working?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sharifvw
Thanks! I just called the dealer and they will fix it because they sold an "unsafe" vehicle. The only thing is I have to drive an hour to get there, but they made the buying experience really good and fast, and I don't mind driving a great car!
Glad to hear.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Joe,

The horn I have is the high note (GM part number 89046917)

maybe two high note horns will give the Ferrari horn sound?

John
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Common problem, mine did it too., I installed the new ones facing down to prevent this from happening again!

Quick Reply: Horn stopped working?