Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
bapd77
CF Senior Member

Default Power Steering Fluid in C6??

I have a 2005 C6 and I was wondering if you could use Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid in it. It was the only thing available at the local store and I need to fill it up. The reservoir is somewhat low! Thanks.
bapd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
nwc6
CF Senior Member

I use the Gm stuff, its cheap and the dealer always has it.
GM Power Steering Fluid
An amber colored, light-bodied mineral oil that contains a specially developed additive package to provide good performance in power steering systems. Reduces power steering noise. Specially formulated to provide anti-corrosive and non-foaming qualities with excellent lubrication for year-round use.
Size: Item #:
16 oz. 89021184
1qt. 89020661

The Pennzoil stuff says it compatible with all power steering fluid.
nwc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
ByByBMW
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12
Support Corvetteforum!

Whatever you do, do NOT use the Valvoline "synthetic" PS fluid. I tried it in my C6 and had major issues to the point where the car was undriveable.
ByByBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
calemasters
CF Senior Member

calemasters calemasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapd77 View Post
I have a 2005 C6 and I was wondering if you could use Pennzoil Power Steering Fluid in it. It was the only thing available at the local store and I need to fill it up. The reservoir is somewhat low! Thanks.
I only use the GM Power Steering Fluid. I know it is the right stuff. A GM dealer "should" have in in stock in the 1 quart containers.
calemasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Paul 68
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwc6 View Post
I use the Gm stuff, its cheap and the dealer always has it.
GM Power Steering Fluid
An amber colored, light-bodied mineral oil that contains a specially developed additive package to provide good performance in power steering systems. Reduces power steering noise. Specially formulated to provide anti-corrosive and non-foaming qualities with excellent lubrication for year-round use.
Size: Item #:
16 oz. 89021184
1qt. 89020661

The Pennzoil stuff says it compatible with all power steering fluid.
I have a quart of GM#89020661 that I used in my 02 Z06, now I have a 08 Z06 and the GM part number for the is #89021184. So your saying same stuff but different part number because of the size of the bottle? Does anyone know if this is the same fluid and be alright to use? Thanks. Happy Holidays
Paul 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Don 79 TA
CF Senior Member

Quote:
i had no problems with my wifes 05 Z51
what i do is use my old turkey baster to extract fluid out, and refill with new
i do this every year in my other cars to keep some fresh fluid in the system
there's alot of heat going on in cars now-a-days so keeps everything nice and clean

same goes for the brake master cyl
Don 79 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
When I went to wet my new and dry power steering hydraulic system in my 68, I went to the local auto parts store. All of the power steering fluids available proudly advertised that they had additives that prevented leaks. To me, this meant that they were formulating their PS fluids to be used in DD beaters. From my C3 forum readings, Jim O'Shea, a retired Saginaw engineer, who was involved with PS developments for the C3's had compelling reasons to not use anything but GM PS fluid. From his writings, it was evident GM spent a lot of money and used a lot of expert input to develop their PS fluid. I'd guess this is true for today's C6's. I'd recommend getting GM power steering fluid from the local dealer.

Once again....if the auto parts store PS fluid advertises that it has anti-leak additives.......run (in my opinion).
68/70Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Power Steering Fluid in C6??

Tags
2008, 89021184, c6, change, compatible, corvette, fluid, pennzoil, penzoil, power, recommended, replacement, steering, valvoline, z06