C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like it will be awhile for Z51 sways, in the mean time ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Chuck Broten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like it will be awhile for Z51 sways, in the mean time ...

I should have my Bilstein sports in about a week and am wondering if highth will change just with the shocks?

I don't want my car to be any lower (it is stock) because of the speed bumps at some of the entraces to the Army bases here in Germany.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I bought Bilstein sports for my stock suspension 2008 vert and am waiting for the Z51 bars and the will do the install at the same time. I think that when you change shocks you should also do an wheel alliegnment , probably the same with the bars. Let me know how it works out for you, I will do the same when I get it done. Just waiting for the bars. I changed shocks in other cars and it did not change the height.
Thanks,
George
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No difference here. Also, nothing related to the shock OR the sway bar install interferes with your alignment.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Chuck Broten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the replies

I put Bilsteins on my 2000 C5 and did not realign and never had any problems with uneven tire wear or handling problems.

As long as you make sure that you keep track of the spacers when you take things apart I think you are OK.

When my Bilsteins arrive I will go ahead and install them. Before I start I will put tape over each wheel on the body and record the distance from there to the ground. After the shocks are installed and have settled I will check again to see if there is a difference.

With the way things are, GM parts like the Z51 sways may be a long time coming. I just hope they will eventually get back into the food chain.

If anyone has a Z51 sway settup after upgrading to Z06 sways and would like to sell them, let me know.

The Bilsteins should firm things up quite a bit and at least get me half way home.

Thanks again.

Darn, I have to go to Schwetzingen again tomorrow and drive that new streatch of road on A6 without speed limits! Oh, woe is me.....
Old 08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Broten
I put Bilsteins on my 2000 C5 and did not realign and never had any problems with uneven tire wear or handling problems.

As long as you make sure that you keep track of the spacers when you take things apart I think you are OK.

When my Bilsteins arrive I will go ahead and install them. Before I start I will put tape over each wheel on the body and record the distance from there to the ground. After the shocks are installed and have settled I will check again to see if there is a difference.

With the way things are, GM parts like the Z51 sways may be a long time coming. I just hope they will eventually get back into the food chain.

If anyone has a Z51 sway settup after upgrading to Z06 sways and would like to sell them, let me know.

The Bilsteins should firm things up quite a bit and at least get me half way home.

Thanks again.

Darn, I have to go to Schwetzingen again tomorrow and drive that new streatch of road on A6 without speed limits! Oh, woe is me.....
I have a Z51 rear swaybar with bushings if you want it. $50 + shipping.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
No difference here. Also, nothing related to the shock OR the sway bar install interferes with your alignment.
Ditto.

Get notified of new replies

To Looks like it will be awhile for Z51 sways, in the mean time ...

Quick Reply: Looks like it will be awhile for Z51 sways, in the mean time ...