C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAMBA AIR INTAKE - Any Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by apredvette
LOL - you guys will be getting plenty of my business - as you have in the past. I've got a whole "wish list" put together.
I wish you had a better selection of carbon fiber fuel rail covers for the LS7
I played around with them in 04. We were the first to have them but over course of a couple of months on our car the resin started yellowing from the heat. Ours said Corvette in them as we'll and GM denied the license.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
I played around with them in 04. We were the first to have them but over course of a couple of months on our car the resin started yellowing from the heat. Ours said Corvette in them as we'll and GM denied the license.
I found some on Corvette Central's website that are GM made. They aren't true CF but claim to be better (as they use the oem covers as the base for the transfer print). I think they're priced like a true CF piece. They do look good and would be genuine GM parts. We'll see. There are lots to choose from but I like Zip because I can grab a lot of good stuff in one place.
I'm biased and the market segment is small but I would like to find more 60th vert specific items on your site. If you come up with something really popular - you could sell 2552 of them
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Pmorgan
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saw this thread. Yes it has been in development for 3 years and it is real 2x2 Carbon Fiber. It is built in a Autoclave just like the Indy car chassis and it works. The LS2 gets expensive because we update the MAF sensor to the new one that is used in the new LS3, LS7 and LS9 and eliminate the older style MAF sensor. It is a big expense, but nobody else's air intakes have done this. The filter had to be custom made and it is the biggest one out there so far unless there is something I have not seen. You also do not have to worry about check engine lights being set like some of the others. It is also not made out of plastic or faux Carbon Fiber, this is the real thing and the real Carbon Fiber can be expensive, but you do get what you pay. You will pay more the half of the price of his box for Vacuum formed plastic the deforms after about 2 months. Any ways if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks
Justin
Have these been discontinued, I don’t see them on the Zip Website anymore?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorgan
Have these been discontinued, I don’t see them on the Zip Website anymore?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
Not yet. I am in talks with my carbon manufacture about another run of them. I have to make a bunch at one time and they have been really busy with the Olympics and the racing season getting ready to start.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

You are not going to have to worry about warping, they make Brake caliper ducts out of this material. It is strong enough that they use it in race cars, airplanes etc. As far as drag strip times I have not run one out there yet where that has been the only A/B test of the unit. Also the problem with testing A/B at the strip is other variables also. On the dyno with my 06 LS2 I gained 26 hp to find I was only running about 14 degrees of timing which ended up being a bad IAT sensor in the MAF. I was showing a air temp of 320 degrees. I will be going back to the dyno this week to get a couple of runs in with the new MAF and then play with the timing table and see what see will get.
Thanks
Justin
I've heard it been said that the Mamba will mess with the MAF sensor. Have you heard this?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm

I've heard it been said that the Mamba will mess with the MAF sensor. Have you heard this?
Well where you heard that, they were wrong. Its probably the only one on a LS7 that no tuning would be required with the exception of the Halltech. On a LS3 the car runs fine until the upper RPM's because it get's into a area of the MAF that the stock box wasn't able to flow air into. It will run really rich at that point and we require a calibration to the MAF transfer function on a LS3 because of that. I never produced a lot of Mamba's because of the difficulty and the price. There have only been maybe 200 sold, but those are seeing duty in a lot of big build cars. Believe me if they were a issue you would hear about them, Katech tested one a couple of years ago and they only had good things to say about. Chuck Mallett uses them as well and even has one adapted into the Pontiac Soltace that he raced.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 02-19-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Any update on when these will be available again?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:20 PM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

Do these fit Z07 cars? What has to be cut to accommodate the box portion?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird29
any update on when these will be available again?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird29
Any update on when these will be available again?
Just called Zip and was told they'd have them back in stock at the end of August 2018. Asked them how many they have coming, was told 8 and no pre-ordering until they're in stock.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Just called Zip and was told they'd have them back in stock at the end of August 2018. Asked them how many they have coming, was told 8 and no pre-ordering until they're in stock.
Thanks for calling them. I’m interested. I don’t mind paying more for something that will last, look good and truly help performance. I’ve been on the fence about a CAI for a while. You read a lot that they don’t really help much. I keep thinking that since I’ve done headers and everything that helps it exhale that I should do something to help inhale. Maybe one day a blower but can’t swing that right now. But don’t really know which one to go with. It can get confusing reading about them on this forum.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

I was informed by Hib Halverson that it fits on his Z07 without rubbing hood. I do know he has the B92 CF hood.

I have Z07 but with standard hood and a lot of other CAI's do not work with Z07.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:25 PM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

I was informed by Hib Halverson that it fits on his Z07 without rubbing hood. I do know he has the B92 CF hood.

I have Z07 but with standard hood and a lot of other CAI's do not work with Z07.
I could not make my halltech work. I ended up with a Corsa. It is tight but clears.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Originally Posted by slammin86
I could not make my halltech work. I ended up with a Corsa. It is tight but clears.
I could not get the Halltech to work either (Halltech clearly states MF103 will not work with Z07).

Does the Corsa add decent HP/TQ gains for LS7 ?
Old 05-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Zip Corvettes

Who did you talk too? Nobody has come and asked me about this and I would be the one to ask. I should have the components in by the beginning of June or so. The box is available to order, the oldest order get's the box first. It is not a waiting list, it is an actual order.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Zip Corvettes

The only hood that I could not clear without trimming was the World Challenge hood. A couple of the vents had to be trimmed to clear the Mamba. Our C6 had the ZO7 hood on it and there was plenty of clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To MAMBA AIR INTAKE - Any Info

Old 05-08-2018, 02:53 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

The only hood that I could not clear without trimming was the World Challenge hood. A couple of the vents had to be trimmed to clear the Mamba. Our C6 had the ZO7 hood on it and there was plenty of clearance.
What about a stock hood on a 11 Grand Sport?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Justin...I left you a voicemail. I need to know if the Mamba will work on 2011 Z06 with Z07 pkg and stock hood. Per Hib Halverson it will work on Z07 with B92 raised hood.

thanks,

Jay
Old 05-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Zip Corvettes

Justin...I left you a voicemail. I need to know if the Mamba will work on 2011 Z06 with Z07 pkg and stock hood. Per Hib Halverson it will work on Z07 with B92 raised hood.

thanks,

Jay
Absolutely it will clear just fine. The ONLY hood that has to be trimmed is the world challenge hood. The Mamba came out in 06/07 when the only hood was available was the flat hood.

Quick Reply: MAMBA AIR INTAKE - Any Info