C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic select ride...worth the $$$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
blumax77
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic select ride...worth the $$$ ?

I am looking for a gently used 09 coupe and I have read some articles on how the MSR works, my question is to the guys (or gals) that have it; is it a worthwhile option for about $1800.00? I do not plan to do any autocross, etc. with the car.
Thanks to all for the info. I've found on the forum. I like to do my homework before buying.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

I have the MSRC on my 2008 Coupe and absolutely love it. Most of the time I use the touring mode. Once I get on some twisty roads, I use the sport mode. There is a noticeable difference and worth the money.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:08 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided I had to have the F55 while vert shopping as the roads here in Michigan are terrible . I wanted better handling than the base suspension, but wasn't keen on the stiffness of the Z51 (given our roads). I believe it was worth every penny as I can move it to SPORT when I get out-of-state on back roads to play (and on a very few roads around here). Now, if I lived in an area w/good roads, I'd have probably gone for a Z51 and I plan on putting Z51 ARBs on my F55 in the near future anyway. I don't know if that helps your decision, but that's my train of thought......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
rbrcs
Racer

I have it on my 08 coupe and love it. It is the future, that's one reason it comes on the ZR1.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM
blumax77
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys for all the opinions and advice. It sounds ike an option I would be happy to spend the extra $$ on.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by blumax77
Thanks guys for all the opinions and advice. It sounds ike an option I would be happy to spend the extra $$ on.
I have it on my '05 coupe and will never have another Vette without it...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Well worth it!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

It is an awesome option....nothing like technology to make your vette better.....
Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Nightstalker Medic
Pro

Yes, It's worth it
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by akriggm
I decided I had to have the F55 while vert shopping as the roads here in Michigan are terrible . I wanted better handling than the base suspension, but wasn't keen on the stiffness of the Z51 (given our roads). I believe it was worth every penny as I can move it to SPORT when I get out-of-state on back roads to play (and on a very few roads around here). Now, if I lived in an area w/good roads, I'd have probably gone for a Z51 and I plan on putting Z51 ARBs on my F55 in the near future anyway. I don't know if that helps your decision, but that's my train of thought......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Michigan roads suck........... I test drove both the Z51 and F55. F55 for me hands down. Put Z51 sways on. Handles perfect.

Do yourself a favor and decide how your going to enjoy the car, and test drive all the suspensions.

Is it worth it. Yes IMHO. I won't have another w/o it, period.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

F55 is worth it if you drive on crappy roads and plan to keep the car bone stock. Z51 sway bars will eliminate a lot of body roll, but also make the difference between TOUR and SPORT less perceptible.

F55 is not worth it if you plan to mod the car. I can honestly say the first mod I would do if I would start over would be to install adjustable shocks with dual rate coil over springs. After driving the car over three years with F55, the ride comfort with double adjustable shocks and dual-rate springs is pretty good, but now the car is even more capable than a Z51 on the track. This route will end up costing double what the F55 option costs, however.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
jptonks
Advanced

Default My 2 cents worth-F55 suspension

bluemax 77:

I bought a new 2008 convertible in May 2008 with the F55 suspension. I do not drag race, autocross or do burnouts. My spirited driving comes from Interstae entance and exit ramps, esecially those that curve in a half circle (cloverleaf design).

My car has an MN6 six speed transmission and stok rear gears. No cai, no headers, no cat-backs, no tune or other mods. However, I did have Z51 sway bars installed and now I think that I have the best of both worlds-an F55 suspension with slightly stiffer sway bars.

I personally think the F55 is worth it because it gives me something to play with without having to live with a stiffer suspension all the time.

Same with my exhaust. I have the bi-modal NPP exhaust from Chevrolet with a $100 Mild to Wild controller, that allows me to change from loud to soft exhaust by pushing a button. Nothing on my car violates any warranty since all options/modifications were Chevrolet parts and/or were installed by the dealer.

Generally speaking, I have found that almost any modification can be really impressive at first and then after a while you get tired of it. I appreciate flexiblity in my modifications, the ability to switch back and forth without having to live with the modified setting all the time.

In any case, this is my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your C6.

John T.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Although I ultimately went to a coil-over suspension for track performance, I used the F55 suspension for years both on the street and the track. The F55 is a technologically 'plush' suspension system. Controlled suspensions are now being used on more high end and 'performance' cars for good reason...it works amazingly well. Controlled suspension technology is the future and IMO it's the best all-around suspension offered by Corvette.

I've compiled numerous articles, web sites, etc. providing more in-depth information about the F55 suspension including a tremendous article about the development of the MR suspension in the Corvette. If you you're interest in learning more about the F55 suspension, PM me your email address and I'll the information to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic select ride...worth the $$$ ?

Quick Reply: Magnetic select ride...worth the $$$ ?