C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Default loose rear view mirror

Anyone have a loose rear view mirror? I am not talking about the twist connection to the windshield, but where the ball joint on the mirror mount is. It has become very loose. I never adjust it as I am the only one to drive the car, so it didn't wear out. Any ideas on how to fix? thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM
bterwilliger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested to hear - when I hit bad bumps it moves in my car too.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
dbradley
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine also. I took it apart and discovered that the plastic split ring that looks like its SUPPOSED to hold tension on the ball had failed. Rather than buy SEVERAL for the failures to come, I just put black RTV in there (with broken piece in place).... mounted the mirror and adjusted to proper view. Let it sit overnight without driving. It stays put now. I know it sounds like, no it IS, a shade tree patch. But it works.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 PM
bterwilliger
Racer

Thanks. I do cringe a little picturing the first person I let drive other than me grabbing the mirror to adjust it and ripping it off the windshield...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
hot1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Loose mirror usually happens when someone trys to remove the mirror improperly. The mirror will twist off and twist on. If this is not performed correctly the mirror will be damaged and have to be replaced. There are no set screws or anything to manually tighten. May be a trip to the dealer, if it's under warrenty you might get a replacement.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, I did have it replaced when the car was brand new under warranty. The dealer did have trouble taking it off and actually bent up the pins on the windshield mount. I took it apart then and straightened out the pins and reinstalled it. But this is two years later at the ball joint. BTW, I think the twist windshield connection with the pins is one of GM's bad ideas.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought mine the rear view mirror was very loose. Was so bad that I actually removed it. I looked around for used and had no luck. I also looked for new and the price was just silly.

So, figured if I was going to buy a new one I might as well try to fix the old one. I bent the 3 pins inward. Taking my time as not to break them. Went from one to another just like installing a wheel. Just little pushes at a time. When finished I could tell that I moved the 3 pins at least 1/8" inward. Installed it and is tight as can be.

If you are looking to get a used or new mirror you might as well try to fix it yourself. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Mine is loose as well. When I turn the radio up, the mirror will begin to slowly move down.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Buddy A
Mine is loose as well. When I turn the radio up, the mirror will begin to slowly move down.
Quit messing with the radio.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 AM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost of a new mirror was $300.00 (list price $368.00!) as of 09/2006.

FYI: Rear View Mirror Repair Documentation.

However, upon review of the OP's particular, uncertain whether the repair document is appropriate to the condition... nevertheless.

Caution: It's been stated to NEVER start the car without first re-plugging power to the mirror... otherwise memory loss will occur to various modules and will require reprogramming.

Last edited by QwikC; 07-13-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added review statement
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Dogosaur
Advanced

QwikC...Thanks for your great post. Worked like a charm. Mirror feels steady as opposed to having that little bit of "wiggle".

Get notified of new replies

To loose rear view mirror

Quick Reply: loose rear view mirror