C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 vs Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
NEO1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 vs Amsoil

Yes, it's been beat to death but I'm looking for anyone who has actually used both products, performed tear downs or had some other measurable difference between these two oils. Has anyone actually seen a benefit switching out Mobil 1 and using another brand of oil? Such as Amsoil. Thx
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

You're right, it has been beaten to death.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way to really answer your question is to do a double blind study with multiple vehicles. The only people that could do that would be the oil manufacturers. The other company that could do it would be GM. If anyone can point to such a study, I'd love to see it. Individual results, either positive or negative, have no real value.

- Mark
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

You forgot to add Redline into the equation.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And Royal Purple.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
You're right, it has been beaten to death.
Yep. You will not get a definitive answer, particularly here. I have an opinion, but you need to make up your own mind. You will not lose either which way you choose, however.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I've used both and immediately noticed higher oil pressure with Amsoil's signature 0-30w (their best oil) I no longer have fuzz on my magnetic oil plugs when I change the oil. I'm sticking with amsoil.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dicecal
I've used both and immediately noticed higher oil pressure with Amsoil's signature 0-30w (their best oil) I no longer have fuzz on my magnetic oil plugs when I change the oil. I'm sticking with amsoil.
I had similar results when I switched to Synergyn 3W30. Along with a little cooler operating temps.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
NEO1
Instructor

I figured as much. Well, some are saying that Mobil 1 oil filters are showing better results than Amsoil's Eao on bobistheoilguy.com. Particle count results have been showing that Mobil 1 oil filters are actually better than the Eao. I was using the Eao but have since switched.

Oil analysis results favor Amsoil but oil analysis is not an exact science and can be misinterpreted. Some oils hold more particles in suspension than others so it can make it kind of difficult. I lean towards Amsoil overall though.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

I use Coastal or any old oil at the gas station or Autozone. The cheaper the better. oil is oil.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Read your owner's manual and use what ever brand meets the criteria.
Simple as that.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use nothing but AmsOil in all my vehicles. I have rebuilt engines that were not using AmsOil and they were pretty worn down from the rings, cylinder walls, crank bearings, and timing chain with only about 30,000 miles on the engine (petroleum-based oils, that is).....the engines were from friends of mine that simply wanted upgrades.

I've taken my own engines using AmsOil that I wanted to upgrade and rebuilt them that had about 45,000 miles on them and everything, and I mean everything internally, still looked like brand new! I've been an advocate for this oil ever since.

On my Corvette, I also use their oil filters and a Filter Mag to catch all the metal particles in the filter. You have a $50,000+ car, why would you use a cheap oil? In a Yugo, sure, but not in a Vette. Use the best that's out there, AmsOil.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 AM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NEO1
Yes, it's been beat to death but I'm looking for anyone who has actually used both products, performed tear downs or had some other measurable difference between these two oils. Has anyone actually seen a benefit switching out Mobil 1 and using another brand of oil? Such as Amsoil. Thx
Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerBullet
I use nothing but AmsOil in all my vehicles. I have rebuilt engines that were not using AmsOil and they were pretty worn down from the rings, cylinder walls, crank bearings, and timing chain with only about 30,000 miles on the engine (petroleum-based oils, that is).....the engines were from friends of mine that simply wanted upgrades.

I've taken my own engines using AmsOil that I wanted to upgrade and rebuilt them that had about 45,000 miles on them and everything, and I mean everything internally, still looked like brand new! I've been an advocate for this oil ever since.

On my Corvette, I also use their oil filters and a Filter Mag to catch all the metal particles in the filter. You have a $50,000+ car, why would you use a cheap oil? In a Yugo, sure, but not in a Vette. Use the best that's out there, AmsOil.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Buying Mobil 1 is like buying IBM, a safe buy.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Buying Mobil 1 is like buying IBM, a safe buy.
+1

easy to get literally about anywhere, recommended by the manufacturer (and most others), proven through service in millions of vehicles, and at the LEAST, good enough 95% of us.

But, I respect the idea that sometimes there IS something better, and a minority of vette owners can easily justify the different oil. I just don't know of anything beyond personal observations (anecdotal "evidence") that proves either or.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerBullet

I had an '83 Cavalier I bought new and used petroleum based oils with 7500 mile oil change intervals its' whole life of 225K miles...the engine looked brand new inside. There are millions of engines with similar stories counter to what you claim...obviously the engines you saw must have had 430K miles on them, not 30K miles.

I find it very difficult to believe any engine today would exhibit the wear you claim after 30K miles using the cheapest oil available even if the oil was never changed in those 30K miles. I'll go one step further and just call BS on your claim I put in bold above...if you saw the wear you claim, it wasn't due to the oil used. More likely it was from the lack of oil as in the owner allowed the engine to get too low on oil. No oil can provide protection if it isn't there, not even Amsoil.

What difference does the price of a car make as to what oil you should use? Why would I use a cheap oil if I knew my engine was going to fail in 30K miles (as you claim anyway) and subject myself to the expense of an engine change in any car? Why would I use an expensive oil if I knew a cheaper oil would provide all of the protection I need? The fact of the matter is that if a person drove their Corvette on the street only with an occasional short blast to red line, petroleum based oil would give the same exact "performance" (in reference to wear) as synthetic. You sound like one of those infomercials with the ridiculously wild claims in an attempt to make a worthless product appear to have value...the sad part is Amsoil doesn't need that type of hype as it's a good product that can stand on its' own merits.

The next thing you'll be claiming is Amsoil lowers your normal running oil temps...which reminds me, there was another thread I forgot to respond to.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 vs Amsoil

Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
NEO1
Instructor

I'm with glass slipper here. I've seen engines run well over 300,000 miles using nothing but conventional oil and they looked brand new inside. Amsoil is not the only oil that keeps an engine clean.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123932274269507173.html

I found this interesting. Don't see any Amsoil mentioned here.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The group 4 oils don't make a major difference until you start abusing them, then they show their advantages over other oils.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It still amazes me that these threads continuously pop up. "This oil is better than that oil!" You're overthinking it. Other than for specific engine and/or race situations, a street driven, daily driver will be fine with just about any of the major off the shelf oil brands.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs Amsoil