C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 vs Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by bosco 08
you boys sound like a bunch of lawyers arguing a criminal case.
Actually, I am rather impressed with this thread. Yea there is disagreement but healthy disagreement, it hasn't resorted to name calling, etc. Better than a lot I have seen.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TMyers
Thank you but it still does not relsove the issue. In fact I don't think the issue can ever be resolved unless we require manufactures to put manufacturing methods on the label. Here is an interesting article written this year.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief10%2...e%20Stocks.pdf

Based off this article Mobil 1 and Amsoil (just the 2 I checked) are not fully grp 4 oils. Neither one meets the requirements to be a grp 4 oil though both exceed grp 3+ specifications.

The problem seems to be the Castrol/Mobil lawsuit has opened a can of worms and the consumer is the loser. Basically you can market any oil as synthetic now regardless of base stock. It just needs to be engineered.

And in the end maybe it does not matter. Does the oil you put in your car provide the protection you require. If so I would call that a good oil.
Interesting link. I believe some of the less expensive amsoil's are grp 3, but the SS and Dominator are definitely group 4. Whether that makes a rats difference, who knows. The **** retentive side of me forces me to use it nonetheless.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 AM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Actually, I am rather impressed with this thread. Yea there is disagreement but healthy disagreement, it hasn't resorted to name calling, etc. Better than a lot I have seen.
It's why i keep coming back.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:32 AM
buster710
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 is a blend of Grp III/IV and V base oils. Group III base oils actually have better solvency than PAO's. Amsoil is PAO based, but some people in the industry suspect they too are using some Grp III in some of their products outside of the XL line.

It's the final performance that counts. The new Pennzoil Ultra looks better than both of these oils on paper. A few people on BITOG sent off VOA's of the new Ultra and it has a Tbn of 13 with a stout additive package.

Mobil 1 is always a safe bet. Amsoil is a great choice too.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
buster710
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 Pioneers the Performance of GM’s Racing Teams
HomePerformance

From the original Corvette LT1 to the 505 HP Corvette Z06
and now ECOTEC Supercharged LSJ and Turbocharged LNF engines

The General Motors (GM) Chevrolet Corvette race program can trace it origins back 50 years to the original V-8 engines that powered the company’s range of road cars. GM’s desire to demonstrate its engineering ability at the highest level led, in 1996, to the formation of the Mobil 1 supported Corvette Racing program.

“When I was challenged by Herb Fishel to establish the Corvette Racing team, the decision over which motor oil we would run was one I didn’t need to linger over,” said Doug Fehan, GM Program Manager, Corvette Racing. “Mobil 1 has an unrivalled record with engine designers and tuners. The decision was a simple one.”

As Mike Atkins, Purchasing/Customer Service Manager for Pratt & Miller, explains, “Mobil 1 has always been highly regarded throughout GM by the GTO, Cadillac and GTS V8 race program teams. We needed a lubricant to initially maximize power and reliability of the Corvette’s road-orientated engine but also provide a stable platform from which to help develop its potential.” Mobil 1 5W-30 is also currently used by the ECOTEC Powered Pontiac Solstice GXP Drift Team and Cobalt SS Sports Compact Drag Racing teams.

During this decade of development, the team has continued using Mobil 1 lubricants on the strength of the tests undertaken. “Why Mobil 1 after 10 years? “asks Doug Fehan. “Well, nobody’s developed anything better.”
Maximizing performance parameters

The reasons why GM technicians choose to work with Mobil 1 products is better understood by reviewing testing and race conditions. Mobil 1 products have long held a reputation for performing in extreme conditions, a reputation built through participation in many of the world’s most arduous racing series, including Formula 1, NASCAR, drag racing, and now Formula D Drifting and Sports Compact Drag Racing. Any race team looking for an instant-win solution to their lubrication needs is reassured by having access to technology developed under a wide variety of driving conditions.

What distinguishes Mobil 1 from other products is the unique combination of base stocks and additives. Mobil 1 contains high-performance synthetic fluids, with superior low and high temperature performance properties (as a result of their higher viscosity index). Additionally Mobil 1's component blended formulation contains additives designed to maximize engine performance.

ExxonMobil was first approached in early 1990s when GM was seeking a high-temperature performing lubricant. In response, ExxonMobil created a high-temperature performance specification based around the performance capabilities of Mobil 1. Since then this specification of Mobil 1 has been used as factory fill for Corvettes, Cadillacs, Saturn Red Line, Cobalt SS, Pontiac Solstice GXP, and a number of other high-temperature performance engines for GM. Although similar in some respects to the road car’s requirements, the GM Racing team’s needs are based upon three performance parameters: outright power, improved engine reliability and component durability. The teams are only interested in a lubricant offering the best combination of all three.

“Our engines must be fast,” Fehan explains. “But there’s no point adding 3bhp and risking 24-hour reliability. Continuous testing has shown Mobil 1 offers the best combination of power, reliability and durability. ”

As these high-performance track experiences can attest, Mobil 1 has proven its ability to withstand extremely high temperatures, and continue to offer the same level of engine protection and performance.
Not the same oil found at Walmart, but a good testament to Mobil 1 and GM's confidence in the product.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
you boys sound like a bunch of lawyers arguing a criminal case.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by buster710
Not the same oil found at Walmart,
where did it say that?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by buster710
Not the same oil found at Walmart, but a good testament to Mobil 1 and GM's confidence in the product.
And what makes you think the Mobil 1 sold at Walmart is different in some way other than the label?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs Amsoil