C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Bilstein Sport Shocks. Driving Impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by DSOMvette
If trying to control wheel hop only would it be recommended to replace the rear shocks only? factory stock Z51 suspension MN6. I do not track the car and am running PS2 also. Do not really feel like running the 18 on the rear. Or is there a better alternative to control the wheel hop? This would be just for the occasional run down the drag strip. I do have the factory wheels sitting in the garage that I could use the 18" fronts for some DR if I really wanted to. Thanks.
The shocks contribute 10% to solving the issue. The 18's with the right tires will do 90%.

I honestly cant understand why the single best performance mod you can do to the car is the one people have the most resistence to doing. The 18x11 running a 305/35/18 will make you car faster than any other mod and will improve the handling more than any other mod and ends wheel hop, yet no one wants to spend 450 bucks to widen a wheel after thousands or even 10's of thousands of mod dollars. You can have 800HP and the limit is the rear tire every single time. You put on the wheel/tire combo and then you take your 0-60 from 4 seconds down to 2.8 seconds while the car with 200HP more just sits there and spins the tires. With street tires you may be 3.9 seconds to 60 with 450rwhp. At 550rwhp you are 3.9 seconds. At 650rwhp you are at 3.9 seconds. At 750rwhp you are at 3.9 seocnds....why? The tire breaks loose at a preset HP level and the car sits and spins. Guess what fixes it?

18" tires are cheaper and perform better. They ride better. Still for reasons I cant fathom, people will run too small a wheel or a cheap knock-off that is weaker just to not have to ship a pair of wheels to get widened and look 100% stock. They would rather complain and run a wheel that sticks out of the fender or doesnt match the front to be fast only at the track. Why not be fast all the time, solve the wheel hop, pay less for tires, have more tire choices, and when you sell the car, its a universal mod making it easy to sell the wheels.

Whatever, makes me faster.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 07-01-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I found it easier to remove the two upper control arm bolts.
Totally unnecessary and could screw up your alignment.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
The shocks contribute 10% to solving the issue. The 18's with the right tires will do 90%.

I honestly cant understand why the single best performance mod you can do to the car is the one people have the most resistence to doing. The 18x11 running a 305/35/18 will make you car faster than any other mod and will improve the handling more than any other mod and ends wheel hop, yet no one wants to spend 450 bucks to widen a wheel after thousands or even 10's of thousands of mod dollars. You can have 800HP and the limit is the rear tire every single time. You put on the wheel/tire combo and then you take your 0-60 from 4 seconds down to 2.8 seconds while the car with 200HP more just sits there and spins the tires. With street tires you may be 3.9 seconds to 60 with 450rwhp. At 550rwhp you are 3.9 seconds. At 650rwhp you are at 3.9 seconds. At 750rwhp you are at 3.9 seocnds....why? The tire breaks loose at a preset HP level and the car sits and spins. Guess what fixes it?

18" tires are cheaper and perform better. They ride better. Still for reasons I cant fathom, people will run too small a wheel or a cheap knock-off that is weaker just to not have to ship a pair of wheels to get widened and look 100% stock. They would rather complain and run a wheel that sticks out of the fender or doesnt match the front to be fast only at the track. Why not be fast all the time, solve the wheel hop, pay less for tires, have more tire choices, and when you sell the car, its a universal mod making it easy to sell the wheels.

Whatever, makes me faster.
I would say styling trends, mostly. And you see the ZR1 with 19/20 combo with the factory solving wheel hop through suspension trickery. The massive braking system probably requires the larger wheels too. People want the look. Looks like you found a cheap solution with many benefits.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ShowcaseC6
....Did I just see you on the science channel????
"Sci-Fi Science"? Very possible; they keep re-airing that every once in a while... There is also "Mad Electricity" on History Channel's "Modern Marvels" that plays every once in a while too, and a few past shows I did on the Discovery Channel and MTV that don't air any more
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Now Sam, while those numbers are no doubt very impressive, and I am sure your car handles much better than it did before, I will be the first one to call........

They say if you wait long enough.

Just messin with you bro.
I was hoping you would have forgotten about that

I still contend though that with a run flat up front you are severely limiting your car's handling...
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Off-subject but where'd you get those jack stands PowerLabs?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by ysb02
I got my stands and jack from the Snap On truck, I paid too much
but they come to the shop so it was convinience that got me.
139.00 for the set
Old 07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sam
great write up.
Guy got you!!
He has the memory of an elephant!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pmj341
I got my stands and jack from the Snap On truck, I paid too much
but they come to the shop so it was convinience that got me.
139.00 for the set
I did the same thing. I bought the jack and he gave me the stands. Paid too much, Sam's club sells the same setup 50 bucks cheaper. But 40 dollars a week for the rest of my life is owed to the snap on guy

Randy
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably here....http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3386_200313386
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

I am almost positive I got them at an AutoZone in Torrance, California.

Actually it was my friend 50th@50 who got them for me while I lived in Cali... Les and I did all kinds of wrenching on our 'Vettes since we lived in the same building; I bought a jack, he got the stands, I had tools, so every weekend we were doing something... Headers, intake, brake pads, brake rotors, thermostat, exhaust, etc...
Good times... Nowadays I wrench alone
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
I am almost positive I got them at an AutoZone in Torrance, California.

Actually it was my friend 50th@50 who got them for me while I lived in Cali... Les and I did all kinds of wrenching on our 'Vettes since we lived in the same building; I bought a jack, he got the stands, I had tools, so every weekend we were doing something... Headers, intake, brake pads, brake rotors, thermostat, exhaust, etc...
Good times... Nowadays I wrench alone
Sam
you lived in Torrance???
I loved that place!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nowadays I wrench alone

I gotta come and wrench with you one of these days! I have the low profile omega jack that fits under without boards. Time has not been on my side lately though.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

I was hoping you would have forgotten about that

I still contend though that with a run flat up front you are severely limiting your car's handling...
But the HUD and Gtech say what they say with the runflat so why doubt the numbers? Its one of those things where you need to do the tests before you jump to conclusions.

Why dont the numbers agree with your theory? Because my alignment is the variable you arent taking into account. My fronts are kicked in so much at the top they are the equal of a stock alignment with r-comps up front. I have seen 1.25 on turns during accelerating into a turn....not sudden jerks of the wheel. Aggressive alignments make as big a difference as a tire can. Its this fact that lets me say you are wrong about the runflat up front in all cases.

I posted in a light-hearted way. You have some aggressive stances in your opinions but rarely go back on them but you should; at least to say sometimes youre wrong after you smack down something or someone.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 07-01-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I would say styling trends, mostly. And you see the ZR1 with 19/20 combo with the factory solving wheel hop through suspension trickery. The massive braking system probably requires the larger wheels too. People want the look. Looks like you found a cheap solution with many benefits.
It isnt for looks when a guy runs a cheap repro 18" that sticks out of the fender. Its being cheap and more so, lazy.

The ZR1 with 19/20 will never match the handling of 18's all around with r-comps. There's a reason the C5r and the C6r run 18's all the way around.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:13 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pmj341
Sam
you lived in Torrance???
I loved that place!!!
Yup... Used to live 2.1 miles from the coast... There was an In-N-Out burger right by the gated community I lived in... It was nice
Then I moved to NJ...
Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default Wheel Hop

You mentioned wheel hop on your 19's which I have just started noticing with the install of my NT05's! I have Pfadt ADJ. so I will (been wanting to regardless) stiffen them up a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed Bilstein Sport Shocks. Driving Impressions.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yup... Used to live 2.1 miles from the coast... There was an In-N-Out burger right by the gated community I lived in... It was nice
Then I moved to NJ...
I was there at the airport for 3 weeks training on the Robinson Helicopter.
I loved In-Out burger!!!
I loved driving to Big Bear, it made it nice to get away on weekends.
Sorry you ended up in NJ
Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 AM
ShowcaseC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

"Sci-Fi Science"? Very possible; they keep re-airing that every once in a while... There is also "Mad Electricity" on History Channel's "Modern Marvels" that plays every once in a while too, and a few past shows I did on the Discovery Channel and MTV that don't air any more
Yeah, I think so. Also saw my physics professor on it too. Did you run into him while filming? Professor Johnson, has British accent.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

It isnt for looks when a guy runs a cheap repro 18" that sticks out of the fender. Its being cheap and more so, lazy.

The ZR1 with 19/20 will never match the handling of 18's all around with r-comps. There's a reason the C5r and the C6r run 18's all the way around.
Spin,

I am still struggling with wheel spin but having invested 5k$ + into Forgeline wheels so therefore I am eliminating every option before I make the 18" "switch". I have added the 410 differential. I am now looking at grooved Hoosier R6's as an option for the rear. I know during wet roads I must exhibit extreme care but is this not a choice that at least moves me in the "right" direction? I am concerned about handling and wheel spin. I would keep my NT-05's on the front or maybe even switch to R888's after the NT's wear out.

Last edited by CPG1962; 07-06-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed Bilstein Sport Shocks. Driving Impressions.