C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift issue. Need some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shift issue. Need some help please!

Alright Ive posted this before but got nada. My car hits the rev limiter when coming out of hard turn after I hit the gas again. Its always around the 2-4 or the 3-4 shift (its an a4 auto). Ive checked the tranny servicing so that isnt the issue. It doesnt hit the rev limiter on shifts in a straight line so what could be causing this? Is it possible that I need to move my shift points down a few mph to keep it from doing this? Could bad tranny fluid be causing it to slip after a turn? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have an automatic transmission but if this is only happening coming hard out of a corner, could it be active handling/traction control engaging instead of truly bumping the rev limiter? Try to replicate the scenario in comp mode or with all nannies off and see what happens. I'm just spit-balling here. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
Alright Ive posted this before but got nada. My car hits the rev limiter when coming out of hard turn after I hit the gas again. Its always around the 2-4 or the 3-4 shift (its an a4 auto). Ive checked the tranny servicing so that isnt the issue. It doesnt hit the rev limiter on shifts in a straight line so what could be causing this? Is it possible that I need to move my shift points down a few mph to keep it from doing this? Could bad tranny fluid be causing it to slip after a turn? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
What kind of Tranny fluid are you using Dexron III or a synthetic brand like Redline or Amsoil?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
yellowc6ohio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The programing holds the car in gear while turning but i seriously doubt it's supposed to go all the way to the limiter. has it always done this?

have you messed with any of the tranny tuning?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

if it was a manual, like they put in REAL sports cars you would'nt have that problem
Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
if it was a manual, like they put in REAL sports cars you would'nt have that problem

Alright. Thanks for nothing D**K! not to turn this into something else but my auto will probably stomp the living **** out of your manual. I love comments like this. Always some bs when somebody needs help.

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I don't have an automatic transmission but if this is only happening coming hard out of a corner, could it be active handling/traction control engaging instead of truly bumping the rev limiter? Try to replicate the scenario in comp mode or with all nannies off and see what happens. I'm just spit-balling here. Good luck!
T/C is off A/H is on I guess I could shut the whole system down and see if that helps.

Originally Posted by LS WON
What kind of Tranny fluid are you using Dexron III or a synthetic brand like Redline or Amsoil?
Im pretty sure its crap fluid that needs to be changed. It was serviced by my tuner and I dont think he put good stuff in there.

Originally Posted by yellowc6ohio
The programing holds the car in gear while turning but i seriously doubt it's supposed to go all the way to the limiter. has it always done this?

have you messed with any of the tranny tuning?
The car has a full tune on it and I was thinking it could be in the tune but dont know what setting that would be or what to adjust to prevent it.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Oh really? Well my A6 running a stock-block LS7 with headers, 3.42 gears, 3600 stall and drag radials runs 10.644 in the quarter mile and will cut high 1.4x 60fts all day.

And how many Z06's do you know of that can run that fast at similar (or even higher) power levels???
Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

If your speedo still isn't functioning correctly it wouldn't surprise me if that was a contributing factor.

Also, if this is happening at even 1% less than WOT then it's a totally different set of shift points from what you'd use at the track.

Either way I would lower my shift points across the board and bump them up gradually to figure out how far you're able to push it.

Christopher
Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
If your speedo still isn't functioning correctly it wouldn't surprise me if that was a contributing factor.

Also, if this is happening at even 1% less than WOT then it's a totally different set of shift points from what you'd use at the track.

Either way I would lower my shift points across the board and bump them up gradually to figure out how far you're able to push it.

Christopher
Thanks Christopher, Im going to send you my tune as well so maybe you can come up with something. Like I said Ive mentioned this to many people and come up with nothing. Im pretty sure its at WOT but Ill check the other shift points as well for partial settings and see what they are maybe thats the culprit.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Thanks Christopher, Im going to send you my tune as well so maybe you can come up with something. Like I said Ive mentioned this to many people and come up with nothing. Im pretty sure its at WOT but Ill check the other shift points as well for partial settings and see what they are maybe thats the culprit.
No problem, send it over when you can.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

No problem, send it over when you can.
I get off work in about an hour. It should be in my email when I get home and I will forward it to you.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'm not sure I'd do that because if he is in fact hitting the rev limiter at about 6K+ rpms, takes off the nannies, AND is coming out of a hard turn, this could be a disastrous accident. Yes?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'm not sure I'd do that because if he is in fact hitting the rev limiter at about 6K+ rpms, takes off the nannies, AND is coming out of a hard turn, this could be a disastrous accident. Yes?
I dont see why it would cause an accident although I can see why you would be concerned. The tires dont lock up or anything and the car never goes sideways. When I take the hard corner and you hold the gas pedal down about 30% or so then after you get out of the apex and staightened out accelerating into the straight away is where Im having the problem. I drive without the T/C alot but I usually leave the A/H on. Ive never heard of that causing a problem but you never know.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

I dont see why it would cause an accident although I can see why you would be concerned. The tires dont lock up or anything and the car never goes sideways. When I take the hard corner and you hold the gas pedal down about 30% or so then after you get out of the apex and staightened out accelerating into the straight away is where Im having the problem. I drive without the T/C alot but I usually leave the A/H on. Ive never heard of that causing a problem but you never know.
Check your e-mail Chris. I found the problem and sent you the details.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Check your e-mail Chris. I found the problem and sent you the details.
Nice of you to help.

San
Old 06-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Oh really? Well my A6 running a stock-block LS7 with headers, 3.42 gears, 3600 stall and drag radials runs 10.644 in the quarter mile and will cut high 1.4x 60fts all day.

And how many Z06's do you know of that can run that fast at similar (or even higher) power levels???
I saw you run in the 10's at Infineon Raceway. You launched off the line nicely with impressive times. We talked briefly after time trials, keep up the good work
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

for the automatic transmission

Get notified of new replies

To Shift issue. Need some help please!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Nice of you to help.

San
Hes a great guy and a valuable forum member. ALWAYS helpful. Hopefully I can return the favor someday.

Originally Posted by LS WON
for the automatic transmission

yep people knock em and give me crap but then they cant beat me on the track. Guess they dont suck so bad do they. I even placed 4th in a road track in texas among other modified C6's and z06's. Even with the car having this shift issue I still beat all but three of them and Almost every single one was a manual. What about all the trash talking now.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Hardtop99SC
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts

Default I have the same issue

I used to take my 2005 LPE Coupe to the track but started experiencing the same issue coming out of the corners, it did not want to shift or release the current gear that it was in.

Did you find an answer to your problem? It sounds like you and the Christopher guy think it is in the shift points or the tuning.

Please PM or reply so I can try to resolve this on my car as well.

Andy

Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hardtop99SC
I used to take my 2005 LPE Coupe to the track but started experiencing the same issue coming out of the corners, it did not want to shift or release the current gear that it was in.

Did you find an answer to your problem? It sounds like you and the Christopher guy think it is in the shift points or the tuning.

Please PM or reply so I can try to resolve this on my car as well.

Andy

Just sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Shift issue. Need some help please!