C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Be carefull,The guy who bought my 10 ZR1 had a almost off road experience with his car,it only has 2k miles on it.Bone stock.And almost went in a ditch about a month ago.I put my own SWPS in my 06 Z06 myself.Dealer wouldn't do **** for me,It isn't a bad job at all.Part was 60.00
Thanks, I'll take notice. My particular issue was that my steering wheel was not centered when driving in a straight line. It had about 8 degrees to the right of center. Once I followed BEZ06 thread on adjusting the steering linkage and re-centering the steering wheel. I have not had a "service active handling system" message. The car drives straight and true under acceleration and braking.

I'm still glad I took a moment to read and familiarize myself with this valuable information, if something should arise in the future.

Thanks to everyone’s input….great thread.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 AM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
Thanks, I'll take notice. My particular issue was that my steering wheel was not centered when driving in a straight line. It had about 8 degrees to the right of center. Once I followed BEZ06 thread on adjusting the steering linkage and re-centering the steering wheel. I have not had a "service active handling system" message. The car drives straight and true under acceleration and braking.

I'm still glad I took a moment to read and familiarize myself with this valuable information, if something should arise in the future.

Roy, check the wheel speed sensors. My drivers front had a cut in the wire. We spliced it and it was fine since.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM
txjimmy34
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service active handling

I had a scary thing happen to me 7-6-14.driving out of a store at 20 mph my corvette locked up breaks. Scared the hell out of me. It had done this a few other times,but nothing like at the store. Pulling into parking spots at very low speeds..felt something grab thought a tire was rubbing or something. I see here there are very old posts,is this something i can get fixed ? I am not under a warranty any more. I am scared to drive my dream car on the highway now.....its my everyday vehicle....please help
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Originally Posted by txjimmy34
I had a scary thing happen to me 7-6-14.driving out of a store at 20 mph my corvette locked up breaks. Scared the hell out of me. It had done this a few other times,but nothing like at the store. Pulling into parking spots at very low speeds..felt something grab thought a tire was rubbing or something. I see here there are very old posts,is this something i can get fixed ? I am not under a warranty any more. I am scared to drive my dream car on the highway now.....its my everyday vehicle....please help

Check out this link:

http://s680.photobucket.com/user/NVL...?sort=6&page=1

Anthony Kim did a great picture write up. I followed the instruction and installed the part and since then, the problem has not occurred going on 4yrs. The part is $11 or so.

Good luck. It is a very scary occurrence when the brake locks up and we have little to no control.

Dino
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by txjimmy34
txjimmy34,

I absolutely realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a serious concern like this, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Although we are unable to guarantee anything, we may be able to explore some options on your behalf. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

No, all "fixes" are only temporary.

This is a systemic problem that GM has NOT properly addressed.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Temp resolve

Originally Posted by Ahzuz
I had this issue twice so far. One after hard acceleration and one after a hard turn. Very scary, any ways to fix this?
2007 base here
I have been disengaging the active handling and traction control by holding the button down for about 6-8 seconds each time I drive mine & I have not had any issues since. Make sure the gauges indicate both systems have been turned off and you should be alright until someone comes up with an answer......hopefully.

PS. I did forget one time to disengage and while doing a hard acceleration I felt that crazy feeling again.................I held that button down as soon as I slowed down............no more problem.

My opinion about turning these systems off is that you should be able to correct any issues without the aid of these systems......just like we did back in the day............especially if you own and operate a Vette!

In addition, until GM "man's up" and takes a look the problem without charging the vehicle owner two arms & a leg for "diagnostics", I guess they plan on waiting until we lose one or critically injure some fellow Corvette owners before we get some resolve...........Damn shame

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 07-15-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Ahzuz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
My opinion about turning these systems off is that you should be able to correct any issues without the aid of these systems......just like we did back in the day............especially if you own and operate a Vette!
Altough I understand that old school mentality, I do not agree with it. I am an engineer myself and if we ship a feature or a functionality that vital and with high risk as this handling system, you must be sure to have work around or quick fix in case it fails. Gm have no idea what they're doing here and that's in their flagship car. Imagine in lower budget car, this is mind bogging
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Ahzuz
Instructor

My 07 did it again, wheel locked, almost hit a pole again.... this is my last GM.

Last edited by Ahzuz; 07-27-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM
racerxr
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just my two cents

I agree that when a wheel locks up its f'n scary, but I bought mine new in Oct 05 for a grand total of $98,816.16 Something so inexpensive is bound to have at least one poorly engineered system. It's happened so many times , including $7000 in front end damage the day the recall notice was delivered, I'm used to it, How much is a new GTR?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car does this on hard acceleration as well! I thought it was a spark plug or coil.

Guess I was wrong.

Always greeting with "Service Active Handling"

Car off and then warning gone.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM
baileysade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Svc active handling

Originally Posted by Ahmer
My car does this on hard acceleration as well! I thought it was a spark plug or coil.

Guess I was wrong.

Always greeting with "Service Active Handling"

Car off and then warning gone.
Very aggravating. I've had to shut my Vette down while driving just to re-boot the computers so the DIC notice is eliminated.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Ahzuz
Instructor

Originally Posted by racerxr
I agree that when a wheel locks up its f'n scary, but I bought mine new in Oct 05 for a grand total of $98,816.16 Something so inexpensive is bound to have at least one poorly engineered system. It's happened so many times , including $7000 in front end damage the day the recall notice was delivered, I'm used to it, How much is a new GTR?
I love your irony.
That being said, I recommend any close friends now to not buy a C6 service handling prone. Go Buy a mustang gt instead, better bang for the buck.

I know gm doesn't give a ratass about the used cars but eventually people will talk to each other and stop buying them and the value will drop. Gm will eventually get their heads out of their asses
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 AM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default GM Customer CARE??

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
txjimmy34,

I absolutely realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a serious concern like this, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Although we are unable to guarantee anything, we may be able to explore some options on your behalf. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I don't hear of GM pursuing any answers on their own.........only if a customer files some type of complaint or issue. What is going on Customer Care, why are you people sitting on your hands.........maybe waiting on someone else to make a move, so man up.....get a set of ***** and let's get some answers for these Corvette owners (not just one or two) who are having potentially life threatening issues. Personally, you should have not stuck your nose in this thread if you were not going to shake things up and DO something other than LIP SERVICE! I will probably be censored or banned from this forum for my comments......too radical....to personal, but damn it who is will to step up to the plate here. So Customer Care, what therapy or massage job will you offer this time?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM
baileysade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
txjimmy34,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I've been through this Rodeo with your designated Customer Experience Manager at my "preferred dealer". Quote" Yes,please bring your car in & we'll wave the "look & see" fee. What a come on, break out the checkbook once we "look & see"
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM
rchiavola
2nd Gear

Default Service Active Handling Trouble Light

I have the Service Active Handling light coming in which I have not brought in yet for the recall. The weird thing is that I have trouble also with my differential clunking when I am turning in reverse. It gets really bad. Each time I have changed out the differential fluid, after not that many miles the clunk comes back. The funny thing is the SAH light stays out and does not come in until the differential starts clunking again. I've changed the fluid out three times according to GM specs. Once I did use Royal Purple with the added GM friction modifier and it didn't last. I did read where the GM friction modifier actually reduces the life of the fluid. This last time I used Dexron LS 75/90 gear fluid instead of the stuff the dealer was giving me which is what the service manual calls for. I didn't use any friction modifier additive. So far no clunking and no SAH trouble light. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still will take it in for the recall. It's a 2006 and there is a couple recalls now.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rchiavola
I have the Service Active Handling light coming in which I have not brought in yet for the recall. The weird thing is that I have trouble also with my differential clunking when I am turning in reverse. It gets really bad. Each time I have changed out the differential fluid, after not that many miles the clunk comes back. The funny thing is the SAH light stays out and does not come in until the differential starts clunking again. I've changed the fluid out three times according to GM specs. Once I did use Royal Purple with the added GM friction modifier and it didn't last. I did read where the GM friction modifier actually reduces the life of the fluid. This last time I used Dexron LS 75/90 gear fluid instead of the stuff the dealer was giving me which is what the service manual calls for. I didn't use any friction modifier additive. So far no clunking and no SAH trouble light. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still will take it in for the recall. It's a 2006 and there is a couple recalls now.

Check out the loose axle nut problem many of us battled. I think I've finally found my problem and it was the axle nut. Replaced them both with new nuts and so far so good. No clunking. My noise seemed to be a higher pitch clicking though. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GM is a bunch of scum bags! Always blaming safety and quality issues on customer actions... they did this to me with my broken transmission and i just happened to read this service bulletin in regard to the traction/ABS issue lots of us are having:

CHEVROLET: ABS/TCS LIGHT ON AND DTCS C1225/C0035 AND/OR C1226/C0040 DUE TO AFTERMARKET BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES. *PE

UNREAL!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Number1
Cruising

Default Service ABS and AHS lights

Wow. This $#@* has been going on since 2009 (beginning thread date) and there is not a fix yet. What the ......

My active handling has been very touchy over the last couple of months, going over speed bumps and such. Last Friday both the ABS and AHS service lights came on when I started the car. Scheduled it for service this Thursday but it looks like I will just be throwing away money and buying frustration.

I agree with one of the previous posts - If you chime in Customer Service you should have something substantive to add - not just lip service.

It is hard to believe there hasn't been a recall and fix for this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action