C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sneezabit
I just wanted to post a follow-up after the dealership looked at my car. It doesn't sound like my issue was the same as the one being discussed here.

I bought the 2005 with only 5K miles on it, and it had been sitting for a while. The dealership indicated that because the battery had likely run down, the computer basically "lost contact" with all of the perirpheral sensors, etc, and they all needed to be reset. I don't have enough experience with these cars to know whether or not its true. I did run it for a while yesterday with no trouble. And I'll post again if it shows up again.

Thanks for the insight in this issue, too, as I will be on the look out for it.

So they said the car battery that had enough cranking power to start your car couldn't power the recievers that make contact with all your sensors?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
SoCal LS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I received my letter today from the government notifying me of this issue and if I had any problems with the Active Handling system.

I filled out the questionnaire truthfully stating that this problem "Service Active Handling System" has come up on my 2006 C6 LT3 more than once. Actually it has happened 5 times, and twice while I was driving home to read this thread. I have also experienced a message on the DIC stating "ABS OK" or "ABS ON" while braking and going over a pot hole that I didnt see while driving home.

Obviously the short term "fix" is taking it to the dealer and having them provide their "fix" but will driving with the TC off prevent this problem for the mean time. I dont have time to take the car to a dealer (my DD) until the 19th-23rd of July when I will be out of town on business.

I have not had my brakes seize yet, but my question is should I still file a complaint even after mailing the questionnaire from the government?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll have to disable the AHS (Active Handling System) which is different than the TCS (Traction Control System). F.Y.I.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
You'll have to disable the AHS (Active Handling System) which is different than the TCS (Traction Control System). F.Y.I.
and even then, once disabled it CAN and WILL come back on if it detects an error in the system.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM
sneezabit
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Yeah, that was their answer. I don't really buy it, but if it's BS, I'm sure the same symptom will show up again.

I guess I can buy a little that if the computer lost power for long enough, the memory could clear. Then just getting a charged battery with power would get the car started and moving, but the sensors might provide some data that had no reference point thus causing it to default to a trouble mode. Not really sure yet and new to this stuff. I haven't bought a car in 10 years and not one with this level of monitoring.

Steve
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sneezabit
I guess I can buy a little that if the computer lost power for long enough, the memory could clear.
Steve
Steve - Most modules today (when compared to cars 10 years ago) use non-volatile memory. In the case of FLASH memory, the data in memory is retained for at least 10 years with no power at all.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have experienced the "Service Active Handling System" DIC Message several times. I followed the TSB suggested fix by adding dielectric to the connector on the telescoping steering wheel column. This fixed the problem for approximately 1 year and now the message on the DIC has returned. I will again perform the TSB suggested fix and hope that this will eliminate the problem. I have reported this problem via the NHTSA and ODI per this thread. I have never experienced performance problems as a result of the DIC Message but am concerned that performance problems or catastrophic failure may occur. My 06 Vert is under warranty until June of 2010. I have never taken the Vette in to the dealership for service as I trust my work over their's.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I made a formal complaint last year with nhtsa,and send a copy of repair of swps(steering wheel positioning sensor...130.00 repair out of warranty) I kinda complained about this in c6 general and got mixed emotions,all I can say if this happens to you while in the flow of traffic you better hope nobody is next to to you this is a issue that should not be taken litley,imho this is a deffinatly a safety issue
Old 06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
455HOGT37
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by valdeztke
I know three people who have had the problem (myself included) who DO NOT have a telescoping wheel

Well that's just great! I thought I was safe with the 08 1LT... I've had mine for about a year and in 20,000+ miles I have never seen the message nor had the AH misbehave. I guess since it's my DD, I just have to drive it with a death grip on the wheel until we can figure out what the REAL solution is.

On another note, I'm shocked at the appathy in this thread. There have been many instances over the years of "unsafe cars"; the first well known example being the Corvair and everybody's buddy, Ralph Nader . Many of these cases were trumped up, exagerated, a result of driver stupidity, or poor maintenance , but THIS situation, where the brake can lock for no apparent reason, is a SERIOUS problem. I know GM is on the ropes right now, but if they allow people to die as a result of poor engineering, they need to be held accountable, no matter what happens. If it takes a 100% recall and the cars are crushed, so be it. The brakes are one of the primary controls on the car; they MUST funcion - every time! This is as serious as having the steering just randomly disconnect, or have the throttle go to the floor due to a glitch in the computer.

The bottom line is that it seems there are a few Corvettes out there just waiting to kill their drivers - is one of them in your garage?

Last edited by 455HOGT37; 06-28-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:24 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 455HOGT37
Well that's just great! I thought I was safe with the 08 1LT... I've had mine for about a year and in 20,000+ miles I have never seen the message nor had the AH misbehave. I guess since it's my DD, I just have to drive it with a death grip on the wheel until we can figure out what the REAL solution is.

On another note, I'm shocked at the appathy in this thread. There have been many instances over the years of "unsafe cars"; the first well known example being the Corvair and everybody's buddy, Ralph Nader . Many of these cases were trumped up, exagerated, a result of driver stupidity, or poor maintenance , but THIS situation, where the brake can lock for no apparent reason, is a SERIOUS problem. I know GM is on the ropes right now, but if they allow people to die as a result of poor engineering, they need to be held accountable, no matter what happens. If it takes a 100% recall and the cars are crushed, so be it. The brakes are one of the primary controls on the car; they MUST funcion - every time! This is as serious as having the steering just randomly disconnect, or have the throttle go to the floor due to a glitch in the computer.

The bottom line is that it seems there are a few Corvettes out there just waiting to kill their drivers - is one of them in your garage?
The following users liked this post:
Isaiah48 (01-09-2020)
Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
I've notice mine only errors at low speed "tight" turns. I took it into to a local service center and they checked the zip tie fix - and it was still in tact.

Not sure what to do next...
Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by valdeztke
I've notice mine only errors at low speed "tight" turns. I took it into to a local service center and they checked the zip tie fix - and it was still in tact.

Not sure what to do next...
Not that I'm an expert on this particular issue, however it sounds to me like a connector pin/socket has been "exercised" to much and that the tight electrical connection is somehow starting to get loose. From earlier in this thread, I posted something to the effect of replacing both ends of the harness and connectors (including pins and sockets) with all-new ones and then make sure there's a strain-relief in the harness so that when the harnesses flex the connectors do not see any of the stress/strain.

This is definitely NOT an item to mess around with.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

In one post it was stated this was with the telescopic steering wheel. Is this correct?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
orange06c6
Instructor

i just got done putting a cam in my car, and now i have the saem service active handling light on, just got done tonight have to check it out tomorow
Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
In one post it was stated this was with the telescopic steering wheel. Is this correct?
I heard too that the telescopic was mostly the problem. I set it once on my 2007 and never used it again, maybe that's why I never had the Active Handling problem?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM
455HOGT37
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert
I heard too that the telescopic was mostly the problem. I set it once on my 2007 and never used it again, maybe that's why I never had the Active Handling problem?
Asked and answered in post #20... ALL types.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just filled out my complain notice

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM
runningonempty
Intermediate

Default Not just a telescopic steering problem

My light comes on intermittently and I DON'T have telescopic steering.
I'll be bring it to the service soon.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
fieldskr
Intermediate

Got the Service Active Handling message this morning on my 06 Z06 with 9600 miles. Took it to the dealership. They performed "the fix" and lightened my wallet by $506.36 (out of warranty).

After seeing what some others paid to have the fix applied, I'm beginning to feel like I got taken to the bank.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Mine had the TSB performed twice and it didn't solve the problem.

For those that are paying hope it doesn't come back. If DOT releases a new TSB you might be able to petition for a refund from the service department.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action