C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

still waiting to hear what the actual problem is...I'm guessing from the posts that the Active Handling activates and locks up the front brakes randomly, but is that correct?

I've had it activate a couple times and get my *** out of trouble, but never noticed a problem with it. Please advise.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OP -thanks!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
1badf350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this for C6 models only or for C5s too? Not sure if the "Service active handling, traction control, etc." problems are the same ones the C5 guys have been plagued with.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badf350
Is this for C6 models only or for C5s too? Not sure if the "Service active handling, traction control, etc." problems are the same ones the C5 guys have been plagued with.
I can't really speak to that. I'd love any C5 guys to weight in.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
robertjr44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did as you suggested since I have had my active handling engage on the freeway doing 70 MPH. Lucky enough it only grabbed for an instant and released then left an error message to service active handling. It was a scary feeling when this occured for no reason. I since have the error come on occasionaly but it goes away on re-start.
Is the fix for this covered on cars out of warranty? I have an 05 and telescoping steering with about 23k on it. When I first bought the car I had the same error appear and the dealer fixed a bad connection and it went away for 2 years. This may be the fix that everyone is talking about but maybe it didn't last.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robertjr44
I did as you suggested since I have had my active handling engage on the freeway doing 70 MPH. Lucky enough it only grabbed for an instant and released then left an error message to service active handling. It was a scary feeling when this occured for no reason. I since have the error come on occasionaly but it goes away on re-start.
Is the fix for this covered on cars out of warranty? I have an 05 and telescoping steering with about 23k on it. When I first bought the car I had the same error appear and the dealer fixed a bad connection and it went away for 2 years. This may be the fix that everyone is talking about but maybe it didn't last.
I can only make suggestions here as I am no expert on this, but I wanted to pass along my thoughts. Based on what I have read, I would suggest that you get this looked at again. If I were experiencing this, I would take it to the dealer with very specific instructions.

Replace the connector on both sides of the harness (including the pins and sockets on both connectors - or replace both harnesses entirely). Then make sure there is plenty of slack in the area of the harness near the connectors. Finally, make sure there is a strain-relief mechanism installed on both sides of the harness conectors a couple of inches away from the connectors.

This is absolutely something to NOT monkey around with. Take it seriously. If the dealer doesn't want to do the work, document it and send it to the govt agency that is tracking the issue.

Last edited by inthehunt2; 06-17-2009 at 08:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by inthehunt2:
06Rawpower (07-15-2016), cjfast1 (05-01-2020)
Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robertjr44
I do know that SAFETY issues are covered regardless of warranty. This would be a safety issue. Until the engineers determine what is causing it - they can't really release a fix beyond the previously issues connector "wire tie" fix on the telescoping wheels.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM
tim87tr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default temporary fixes

Originally Posted by valdeztke
I do know that SAFETY issues are covered regardless of warranty. This would be a safety issue. Until the engineers determine what is causing it - they can't really release a fix beyond the previously issues connector "wire tie" fix on the telescoping wheels.
Here are my thoughts on GM correcting a safety issue, my response to the NHTSA inquiry/questions on my complaint filed.

Mr. McHenry

Thank you for your response. Attached are 2 scanned copies of the service bill, one color and one black and white, for a $88.15 repair total on the active handling.

Yes, the problem still occurs and surprisingly in even more frequency since the repair, on paved, packed or loose gravel, and grass surfaces. It occurs when I am traveling at normal speeds in lower speed situations such as pulling onto the paved road, turning in a parking lot or even in my gravel driveway turning prior to backing into the garage. It feels like the front brakes lock up and the car comes to a quick stop. I am unable to drive through the locked brakes, but the system resets enough at a restart that I can continue driving.

Feel free to call anytime for technical info related to the problem 217-251-6xxx. I've never filed a complaint on any car but have also filed a flying roof complaint 10273038 http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complai...e&refurl=email on my Corvette because of their refusal to correct the actual problem and denying my claim.

In both my complaint cases, the roof being a recall and activing handling a TSB, GM has created a temporary fix to address the symptoms yet not correct the actual problem. I feel it is a legal run around so they can meet the burden of the recall and no longer be responsible for future trouble. Injecting some foam under a roof that flys off does not correct the problem of the glue delaminating, and putting a clip or zip tie on a wire in a steering column does not correct the real problem of the computer or sensor malfunction causing the active handling to lock up the brakes.

Here is the link for the active handling complaint:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complai...e&refurl=email

If you do a search on the NHTSA site, for the 2005s there are 82 complaints, mostly roof and stability control. It also sounds like if the tire pressure monitoring system has an error showing a tire pressure very low, the active handling will dangerously engage at higher speeds. I'm really curious as to why the active handling and roof safety issues have not been addressed more directly by GM, since reading the complaints just for the 05s, it appears the problems have been around since the cars were manufactured.

Last edited by tim87tr; 06-19-2009 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tim87tr:
06Rawpower (07-15-2016), Isaiah48 (01-09-2020)
Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

There is always the class action lawsuit option, which I'd hate to do to GM, but we technically own 60% of them anyways, so its a bit like suing our own company -

I'd be interested to learn if this fault has actually killed anyone. Maybe digging through state vehicle deaths involving Corvettes 2005+ would turn over something that could be linked to this.
The following users liked this post:
Isaiah48 (01-09-2020)
Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default I've had enough

After buying your dream car and putting money into it, well a lot of money to me (4.5k). I cannot believe how disapointed I have become due to this.

I have been bounced around by my dealer with this issue for 5months now. This is my 3rd Vette and daily driver. Stated issue has taken up all my free time. Time that goes by that you cannot enjoy/trust your car is money lost due to depreciation, modification money and not to mention, this is DANGEROUS!

I love Corvette and we talk crap to viper owners for not having TC but maybe they were on to something. They only have to worry about thier stupidity killing them NOT the car they dedicate time and money to!

To GM and Corvette division I say this is BS

SgtRod
Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Whether it's a Vette or not, whether it's a GM or not, a faulty feature that can cause loss of life, loss of money, or simply is faulty is under the obligation of the seller to make things right. If the seller does not honor that commitment, then we as customers have the right to go after them legally if addressing them in an informal manner does not net a correction of an issue that can cause loss of life or severe damage and costs.

End of story.

GM should be treating this very seriously rather than just using a tie-wrap and saying things are good. The root cause may be a sensor and a connector, but like I said before in other threads on this topic, the software is lacking in terms of a DFMEA from the vehicle systems perspective. Software should recognize faults and then act on those faults in a safe manner, not steer a car right (into another car, into a bridge pillar, into an embankment, into an ATM, or through a plate glass window of a store front).

This seems pretty simple to me. Why GM doesn't get it I don't know. Maybe we should take this to the local news and see if it make the National news at 6:00pm and wake up GM???

Last edited by inthehunt2; 06-20-2009 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
06Rawpower (07-15-2016)
Old 06-20-2009, 01:06 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
This seems pretty simple to me. Why GM doesn't get it I don't know. Maybe we should take this to the local news and see if it make the National news at 6:00pm and wake up GM???
We could use FOIA (Freedom of Info Act) to obtain all the records of complaints along with data from each states accident history on 2005+ Corvettes. We wouldn't be able to definitively say the AH caused the issue in the cases, but at least pull ones that had a description similar to what would happen in the event AH engaged.

I'm all ears. DOT is doing their best, but like most large government entities they have a process. I was glad to hear they did acquire a test vehicle and are currently reproducing the same results listed in this thread.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:07 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

IF the DOT has a vehicle with the reported issue and they are able to reproduce the results, then at least I feel better that the issue won't get lost. Or will it....
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM
sneezabit
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I just took possession of an 05, M6 coupe yesterday - only 5300 miles on it. When I drove away from the purchase location, something happened (don't know if it was braking or not. I wasn't going that fast) and the "Service Active Handling" "Reduced Engine Power" message came on.

I went back to the guys place, plugged in his computer and got a P2138 code, which is a voltage inconsistency in the Accelerator pedal. We cleared it, and I left. It happened again later in the day. Cleared it again. I drove the rest of the day with traction control off and no problems. Went out this morning and got on it once. Something happened again (don't know if it was braking or not) and the Service Active Handling message came on again.

Do you think this is the same issue? I haven't had enough experience with it yet to really know. I'm going to the dealer in the morning to get it looked at.

Based on this information, here, I will definitely instruct him to look specifically for this problem.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sneezabit
I just took possession of an 05, M6 coupe yesterday - only 5300 miles on it. When I drove away from the purchase location, something happened (don't know if it was braking or not. I wasn't going that fast) and the "Service Active Handling" "Reduced Engine Power" message came on.

I went back to the guys place, plugged in his computer and got a P2138 code, which is a voltage inconsistency in the Accelerator pedal. We cleared it, and I left. It happened again later in the day. Cleared it again. I drove the rest of the day with traction control off and no problems. Went out this morning and got on it once. Something happened again (don't know if it was braking or not) and the Service Active Handling message came on again.

Do you think this is the same issue? I haven't had enough experience with it yet to really know. I'm going to the dealer in the morning to get it looked at.

Based on this information, here, I will definitely instruct him to look specifically for this problem.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
It depends on what "something happened"" means. If it started to pull to the left or right when the message came up, then you may be experiencing exactly what this threat is talking about.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM
sneezabit
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I understand. I just haven't driven it enough to know yet. However, it wasn't extreme like described above, so I'm thinking it wasn't the same thing.

That being said, I'll talk to the dealer tomorrow about anyway. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Let us know what you find out. It could be a very helpful clue to all of us!

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 AM
sneezabit
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

10-4
Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

This issue is very aggravating!!! You would have thought that GM would have learned how to resolve it since the C5 was plagued with it also!! SAD,,very SAD!!!

BC
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
sneezabit
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I just wanted to post a follow-up after the dealership looked at my car. It doesn't sound like my issue was the same as the one being discussed here.

I bought the 2005 with only 5K miles on it, and it had been sitting for a while. The dealership indicated that because the battery had likely run down, the computer basically "lost contact" with all of the perirpheral sensors, etc, and they all needed to be reset. I don't have enough experience with these cars to know whether or not its true. I did run it for a while yesterday with no trouble. And I'll post again if it shows up again.

Thanks for the insight in this issue, too, as I will be on the look out for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action