C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo 6L80E transmission research

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneOakDan
Mark,

A few of us are having the same problem with the Paddle shift not shifting under WOT. I have a 08 A6 Cont. with 5,000 miles and when I try to paddle shift at 5900-6000 rpm under WOT, it hits the rev. limiter and shifts after the rev's have dropped down. Trans works fine in auto and the paddle shift works okay under normal driving. Got any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dan Dement
I think a big contributing factor to this is the car accelerates faster than the computer can process the need to shift to the next gear. It seems to be amplified when you mod your car. It is even worse if your tires have broke traction (the rpm's increase extremely quick).

The only solution I have found to avoid hitting the rev limiter and bogging down is start my shift at aprox 5500rpm’s.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
StoneOakDan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark & Adam,

Guys, thanks for the help. I am an old gear head who just got his "dream car" even if it's not a 67 Big Block. Maybe someday if the market & Real Estate come back! the shifting late is the only real complaint that I have and it's more of a learning curve problem for me than it is a "real Problem". Thanks for all the expierence and recommendations and I am going to give it a try. I will keep y'all posted but I think I will buy the first upgrade Transgo has. Mark, I appreciate the straight talk!!!

Dan
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Ripped427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Updates???
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Flash99
Pro

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I'm not sure if you guys read my post #48?

I would venture to say I currently have one of the highest milage A6's with 41,600 right now. I am a H/C/Bolt-on car around 460-480rwhp. I have no issues what so ever 95% of the time.

Before I had Chuck COW (Corvettes of Westchester) tune the A6 TCM (there is no vacuum shift anymore, it's all electronic and it has it's own computer) I had 4-5 different issues. Now with his A6 TCM tune, the only issue, when cold and less than 5% of the time, it will flare a bit on the 1-2 shift when cold. It will do it once, that's it.

I could'nt be more pleased with this trans. Let it warm up before you hammer it and you would be surprised how well they will perform.

I do believe most of the issues in this trans are in the stock GM tune from the factory. IMHO. My A6 was crap before the tune. I would'nt even have kept the car if it was going to be that way (stock tune).

Now when TransGo has 700rwhp version available, sign me up.

Umm, lol I got you beat there 95,600 miles on my A6, swapped it out for a rebuilt OEM GM tranny, after the blower destroyed it. I have 8,000 miles on the new tranny, give me till October to catch up to you again.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ripped427
Updates???
Not at this time.

Mark
Old 06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash99
Umm, lol I got you beat there 95,600 miles on my A6, swapped it out for a rebuilt OEM GM tranny, after the blower destroyed it. I have 8,000 miles on the new tranny, give me till October to catch up to you again.

I didn't say I had the highest milage. This is exactly why I don't want to install a 150 shot.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Ripped427
Racer

Mark, any progress?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Ripped427
Racer

Did you guys give up
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripped427
Did you guys give up
The latest info. I received was that Trans Go is still working on things. Trans Go got some solid data from my C6, but need more testing to develop a trans/shift kit. The best way to contact Mark is either through his email address or telephone.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:20 PM
jpndave
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mark@TGO
I have found the bulletin & have ordered the parts to see whats included. I will let you know

Mark
Does anyone have the bulletin or part number for this fix? What does it include?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what ever happened to the TransGo research results ??

My A6 flares also when it is cold. Only when it warms up does it stop flaring. What I've read, apparently GM says this is "normal" for a GM trans.

You gotta love GM. Only GM would say something like that is normal. I had a GM dealer tell me that the numerous oil leaks on my Olds were "normal".
Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
I wonder what ever happened to the TransGo research results ??

My A6 flares also when it is cold. Only when it warms up does it stop flaring. What I've read, apparently GM says this is "normal" for a GM trans.

You gotta love GM. Only GM would say something like that is normal. I had a GM dealer tell me that the numerous oil leaks on my Olds were "normal".
Your description fits a GM service bulletin that has been out for quite a while. Many people here on the forum have had theirs fixed for free by GM. Do a search. The story and bulletin has been posted on here several times. It is caused by bad seals which leak, especially when cold. It does require your trans to be removed so I hope you deal with a competent dealership.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:24 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wbear
Your description fits a GM service bulletin that has been out for quite a while. Many people here on the forum have had theirs fixed for free by GM. Do a search. The story and bulletin has been posted on here several times. It is caused by bad seals which leak, especially when cold. It does require your trans to be removed so I hope you deal with a competent dealership.
Hmmm.... Wbear? Are you my long lost brother?

All kidding aside, do the "flares" actually hurt the reliability/longevity of the trans?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
Hmmm.... Wbear? Are you my long lost brother?

All kidding aside, do the "flares" actually hurt the reliability/longevity of the trans?
Brother bear.
The flare is caused by slow/low pressure build up in the clutch packs which means the friction plates are slipping more than they are supposed too. Eventually this will wear the plates out prematurely so it should be fixed. Since its a known warranty issue it won't cost you a dime now. Just the heartbreak of having your baby go thru a major operation. Get a good surgeon.

Quick Reply: TransGo 6L80E transmission research