C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 problem that everyone cannot find solution to fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM
bruceappelbaum
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 problem that everyone cannot find solution to fix

I have a C6 automatic with the z51 suspension,2009. Since I bought the c6--there is a popping noise coming from above the rear driver's side tire when I make left turns into a sloped driveway. As I come into the driveway, there is one pop when the front tires are up on the apron and a 2nd pop when the rear tires come up on the apron. I also will get this noise when making a left turn where there is a rough road. The rear left sway bar link has been replaced--this did not solve the issue.
Any ideas???
Thanks
Bruce
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the bolt in the swaybar link isnt torque properly...replacing the endlink wont fix the issue, it needs to be tightened.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If it is not suspension, you might check the axle nut torque.
If loose, retorque to 118 ft-lbs.
If that is the source of the popping noise, just tightening the axle nut may not make the noise go away. You may need to back off the nut, push the axle in a bit, and lubricate the inner bearing surface and axle spline. Then retorque the nut.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
fenderowner
Pro

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Sounds like the bolt in the swaybar link isnt torque properly...replacing the endlink wont fix the issue, it needs to be tightened.
Agree. Make sure all the bolts associated with the swaybar are properly torqued, including where it attaches to the end links. Have a Z51 and swapped my rear swaybar for a Z06, and had exactly the same problem. I re-torqued all the bolts, including the sway bar brackets, and it went away.

HTH. It's worth a try before going further! (And while you are at it, do what Texhawk0 suggested, too)
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was also a problem with a missing weld on the frame just in front of the rear tire during assembly on some cars. I'd say the sway bar link also, though.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
bruceappelbaum
Advanced

Default Thanks to all for responding!!

I will take all these suggestions to my dealer--after 3 visits-I would just like it fixed.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
-- -- I had a popping noise after I changed to Z51 bars on my F55. I re-tightened the links and the noise went away.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 problem that everyone cannot find solution to fix

Quick Reply: C6 problem that everyone cannot find solution to fix