C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbe question - clunks..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Don Gio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbe question - clunks..

I just bought a 2006 C6 with M6. Love the car but as this is the only one I have driven, I have a question. When shifting gears one has to be very smooth or there is a clunk sound coming from the rear end. In the old days I would say it sounded like U-joints. Any ideas or are they all this way?

Thanks for your responses,
Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Jim Nebraska
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm...hard to say from your description. The C6 shift is always a bit "notchy", especially when cold. I can't say that I've heard heard a discernible "clunk", however. There's also some known "clunking" when turning real slow....like in a parking lot. It had something to do with the clutch packs, and there was a TSB regarding the replacement of the clutch fluid with a more current type (my car is an '05). Maybe some of the Forum Intelligencia with chedk in with a more informed diagnosis.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
nalto
Racer

I experienced this from day one three years ago. I learned to keep the rpm's up between shifts as not to let the driveline go from acceleration to decelration back to acceleration with each shift. The clutch seems to be very quiet when keeping the rpms up. do not let it go back to idle between shifts.

Hope this helps. I have been told by service department representatives as well as others here on the forum that it is a high performance clutch and inherintly is notchy and clunky.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Don Gio
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's reply. It is as Nalto replied - there is kind of a lash when unloading the drive train between gears. The transmission shifts fine. I guess it will just take some adjustment to my driving style. I have a limted warranty so if it was abnormal I wanted to get it resolved quickly.

Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Newbe question - clunks..

Quick Reply: Another Newbe question - clunks..