C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show Me Your Honker

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 AM
SvetteC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show Me Your Honker

I think I've decide on the Callaway Honker CAI. Mostly because of quality issues with the Vararam. With the exception of a recent Hydrolock (inherant risk with all CAI) and some idle issues with the LS3 the Honker seems trouble free. Post your pictures and comments of the Honker. Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been running it for about a year, works great, looks great. Very easy to access the filter for cleaning. No hydrolock issues here and I live in South Florida where it rains quite a bit.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM
SETc6
Racer

If you deciede on something diff i have slp blackwing thats brand new I can sell you for a fraction of the price :P
Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
SvetteC6
Racer

Originally Posted by SETc6
If you deciede on something diff i have slp blackwing thats brand new I can sell you for a fraction of the price :P
I looked at the blackwing but to be honest I like the way the Callaway looks. It has an almost stock look while still delivering better then stock performance.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They also removed the winglets from the new version, which I like better.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun removing the shrowd.

Other than that little fun fest it it a quality piece but you would expect nothing less from Callaway.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by SETc6
...there was also that test showing the blackwing not adding muchpower, once one shut the hood (while on the dyno)

Honker kept on honkin' and made the power

I have a Honker. no issues 60,000 miles
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

30K here no probs
Old 04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

The BPP Vortex Rammer is also a high quality product that you might want to check out. I have one and am very satisfied.
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
SETc6
Racer

Originally Posted by *89x2*
...there was also that test showing the blackwing not adding muchpower, once one shut the hood (while on the dyno)

Honker kept on honkin' and made the power

I have a Honker. no issues 60,000 miles
good to know :P

I have it just sitting here since i just ordered the A&A kit.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I have had my Honker on for two years now and no issues. It looks good and is a high quality product. I smoothed mine out and painted it base-coat/clear-coat. Looks great!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
C6VetteMan
Racer

I installed mine without removing the shroud. Here's the procedure:

1)Remove the shroud cover and slide a ¼” piece of plywood in between the shroud and condenser coil. I attached two pieces of duct tape on the top of the wood to hold it in place.

2)Remove OEM air box and install Honker.

3)Drill two “small” pilot holes on the left and right side through the assembled unit to get the reference points.

4)Remove unit and take the ring that holds the filter and attach it using two screws into the shroud. Using a white marker, trace the cut out area. Remove the ring.

5)Very carefully, cut out the opening for the filter assembly. I used a “small hand held” right angle drill with a small circular saw blade. This part was a little nerve racking. I’m sure someone can come up with a better way!

6)Now for the last part of the install, attach the filter ring again with a couple of screws, and using the right angle drill, drill the number of pilot holes using the correct size bit for the rivet through the entire ring (ring is hollow) into the shroud.The very bottom is a little tight and you should test the angle of the size gun you have in order to decide where you will eventually drill the holes.

7)Remove the two screws and the ring and you should have the hole cutout and the pre-drilled holes to attach the filter ring with rivets. Note: I did not use the template or the rivets that come with the kit!

8)To install the filter ring, I used a small rivet gun with a “very short nose”. The ring now has the pilot holes pre-drilled. Remember, the ring is hollow! I used the top pilot hole and drilled a larger hole the diameter of the rivet gun through the top of the ring. Be careful not to go through the back side of the ring. Now you can fit the nose of the gun with a rivet down through the larger hole and mount the ring to the shroud using pop rivets. I used some black RTV on the back of the ring before I started to rivet in place. After I had it attached, I used the remainder to apply a thin bead around the entire ring. The entire install took about two hours. The best thing is to visually plan out this type of install before you start and have all the proper tools. Remember, the key is a “small” handheld right angle drill and the shortest “nose” rivet gun you can find. Hope this helps.

Last edited by C6VetteMan; 04-03-2009 at 07:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Show Me Your Honker

Quick Reply: Show Me Your Honker