C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to mod my vette, if i get it

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
bolivianpimp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mod my vette, if i get it

Ok guys so i currently have a mustang and I made a previous post about whether to sell it and get a used (hopefully modded) c6 vette (Probably 06-07, maybe an 08) instead of doing forced induction on the stang. I want to stay N/A because that is the whole point of me getting a vette instead of boosting the stang. Since i am new to the corvette world, i was hoping you guys could help and tell me the following info about these parts. I was thinking about CAI, tune, headers, and cam. This is my DD, but i only drive like 4 miles. So my question is,
1)Who makes the best/best value?
2)How much does it cost?
3)How much HP can i expect from each mod, and all together?

Before i get flamed, i used the search button but i want to get the most up to date information about people and the mods they use.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Ok guys so i currently have a mustang and I made a previous post about whether to sell it and get a used (hopefully modded) c6 vette (Probably 06-07, maybe an 08) instead of doing forced induction on the stang. I want to stay N/A because that is the whole point of me getting a vette instead of boosting the stang. Since i am new to the corvette world, i was hoping you guys could help and tell me the following info about these parts. I was thinking about CAI, tune, headers, and cam. This is my DD, but i only drive like 4 miles. So my question is,
1)Who makes the best/best value?
2)How much does it cost?
3)How much HP can i expect from each mod, and all together?

Before i get flamed, i used the search button but i want to get the most up to date information about people and the mods they use.
There are a ton of very good vendors and installers. First question is, where are you located? In the East, you have Cartek, Corvettes of Westchester, the Vette Doctors, ECS, and many others. In the South, there are many fine shops in the Carolinas, Florida, and Texas. In the West, lots of good shops in California.

CAI, headers, and tune are pretty much a no-brainer, except for deciding WHICH CAI and headers. Do a search on Vararam, Halltech, Callaway, and Breathless and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about CAI systems and their relative merits. I have a Vararam, and love it, but if I had to do it again today, I might just pick the Breathless system.

Headers are the same story, with ARH, LG Pro, and Kooks leading the way. I have LG Pro's, which gave me over 20 RWHP. Others have reported even bigger gains.

Most vendors who install CAI's and headers can also do dyno tuning, and do it well. You can also get mail order tunes from vendors such as Texas Speed or Corvettes of Westchester.

Total package of CAI, headers, install, and tuning should run $2K to $2.5K.

Don't forget the 160 degree thermostat, that adds at least $25.

Cams are a whole other story, can give you close to 50 more HP, although 25-30 is more typical. Cam choice depends on your driving style, other mods, and the compromises you are willing to make. As a starting point, consider a 224/228 duration, 114 LSA grind, with around ".575 lift. This grind will give good power, drivability, reliability, and economy, and allow you to pass emissions tests. Go much more aggressive than that and you will need gears, and will have to make some compromises. Cams with kit (springs, retainers, pushrods) will run around $500. Installation costs are higher on a C6 than on some other vehicles due to the need to drop the steering assembly.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said not to mention F/I, but I figure you can ignore me if you'd like

I will just say, for SLIGHTLY more than LG super pros, gt4 catback and 3.42 diff with z06 shaft + install & full tune, I could have Dallas Performance install and tune a $4500 A&A supercharger kit (today only special).

Lets see, about 30rwhp & gears . . . or 150-175rwhp?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyphp
I know you said not to mention F/I, but I figure you can ignore me if you'd like

I will just say, for SLIGHTLY more than LG super pros, gt4 catback and 3.42 diff with z06 shaft + install & full tune, I could have Dallas Performance install and tune a $4500 A&A supercharger kit (today only special).

sounds like a plan
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
sounds like a plan
Ignoring me sounds like a plan huh? I'll show you

I'm actually going to be doing, you guessed it, all what I mentioned
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

get the car first! then you can dream
Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
bolivianpimp
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=HITMAN99;1569536071]
Total package of CAI, headers, install, and tuning should run $2K to $2.5K.

Don't forget the 160 degree thermostat, that adds at least $25.
QUOTE]

Why do you purchase a new thermostat?

Hmmm well $4500 is a dif story. What is an A&A s/c? that is a really cheap price to be installed and tuned…
Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Hmmm well $4500 is a dif story. What is an A&A s/c? that is a really cheap price to be installed and tuned…
It was only yesterday at that price of $4500:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...or-4500-a.html

And the install/tune is $2250.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Ignoring me sounds like a plan huh? I'll show you

I'm actually going to be doing, you guessed it, all what I mentioned
how is that ignoring you, doing all you mentioned is a very good plan, thats why i said it, when you get it done post up your time or come give me a run
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

how is that ignoring you, doing all you mentioned is a very good plan, thats why i said it, when you get it done post up your time or come give me a run
I'm just mixing your meaning around

Thanks, I will post up my dyno sheets for sure, and time if I take it to a strip ever. I think I'll have 3 dyno sheets, 1 for stock, 1 for after headers/catback/gears/fast intake, 1 for after the s/c install and tune. You're too far to give a run! It'd take me a week to drive up there
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

I'm just mixing your meaning around

Thanks, I will post up my dyno sheets for sure, and time if I take it to a strip ever. I think I'll have 3 dyno sheets, 1 for stock, 1 for after headers/catback/gears/fast intake, 1 for after the s/c install and tune. You're too far to give a run! It'd take me a week to drive up there
how do you like that charger, i know a few guys who love it and 4,500 is a steal can you get it to hook
Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

how do you like that charger, i know a few guys who love it and 4,500 is a steal can you get it to hook
Unfortunately it's not installed yet... I haven't received it yet. I'm waiting on LG to get the super pros and gt4 and gears in that I ordered, and I'm waiting for the A&A s/c kit I bought yesterday to come in, after that, I just have to schedule the install @ LG for their parts and then schedule an install @ Dallas Performance for the supercharger.

I am looking into some new tires... thinking these runflats aren't going to cut it.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Unfortunately it's not installed yet... I haven't received it yet. I'm waiting on LG to get the super pros and gt4 and gears in that I ordered, and I'm waiting for the A&A s/c kit I bought yesterday to come in, after that, I just have to schedule the install @ LG for their parts and then schedule an install @ Dallas Performance for the supercharger.

I am looking into some new tires... thinking these runflats aren't going to cut it.
yea they wont the mt dr 305 18 works good on the street and 1/4
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
bolivianpimp
Heel & Toe

So your getting a ton of bolt'ons and a s/c?

What is that thermostat 160 for?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You're not cool if you don't have the 160 therm.

Get notified of new replies

To How to mod my vette, if i get it

Quick Reply: How to mod my vette, if i get it