C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Hot Coating

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Jet Hot Coating

We added jet hot coating to my headers and mid section this winter because the ls7 was generating a lot of heat on the track. We felt that the oil lines were too close to the headers to be comfortable with continuing with heat wrap and the inside tunnel was extremely hot so we sent everything out for extreme coating.

Jet hot located in PA returned my headers on schedule within the 10 days they stated which was nice.

Last weekend at NJMP I did some temp checks against another header on a 346 H/C car with headers.

After we got in the garages I checked my temps and then the uncoated headers temp. I found my temps to be a bit over 200 degrees cooler (180 vs 380).

I also noticed that my temps would drop faster than the uncoated headers while we sat there. This was good news but threw off my initial testing because from the end of the session to the garage I was dropping faster so I don't know what my high temp was compared to the high temp of the uncoated.

We will be at WGI next month and I want to do more testing, but for now I am very happy. The coating is also very shiny so I wonder how long that will hold up.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Gold Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

The headers on my 02 Camaro are Jet Hot coated. They are still bright and shiney after six years.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JetHot is great stuff; I wouldn't run uncoated headers on any car of mine after seeing how much of a difference the coating makes...

Here are my Kooks after about 15,000 miles of use:

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

How much does it cost to have a set of headers done?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a dramatic difference. I've always believed in coating headers but most guys don't because of the extra cost. Many think coating is simply for appearance...they don't realize the functional, real world benefits. This is from Jet-Hot:

"The coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat. Also, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently."

Thanks for sharing your findings...good post!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
455HOGT37
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used them for the exhaust on my airplane. I didn't use the silver coating because it can't stand the prolonged high temperature that an aircraft engine sees, but their Jet-Hot 2000 product has held up fine. The Jet Hot 2000 is flat black and rough (looks like hell, actually), but has not shown any wear after 200 hours of 1500+ EGT. Good company, good products.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:27 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 192 Posts

I did the Jet-Hot coating thing on my LS7 pipes too. I had the stock manifolds, the Cat Pipes, and the long H-Pipe coated with Extreme. Cost was right around $400 for all. (Plus new gaskets).

I also thought the stock exhaust ran too close to oil lines and engine components. So I bought a package of 2" wide heat wrap and did the downpipes. I was very pleased with myself until I started the engine. That heat wrap really stinks! After two months of occasional driving, the smell has gone away.

While I had the car up on jacks, I decided to do some simple insulating in the tunnel area. I bought some really nice peel-n-stick insulation that has a shiny, thick aluminum face, about 1/8" thick insulation, and then the adhesive. It's the same stuff that's on the Thermal-Abs. I removed my Thermal-Abs tunnel plate and put a layer of this insulation above the tunnel plate (but not along the edges where the screws go through). Since I had the tunnel plate off, I covered some places near the shifter that the factory left exposed. I then added insulation along the sides of the tunnel just below the plate.

I love driving this car, but last summer it was way too hot when the windows were down and the A/C was off. After all this, I'm expecting a much more civilized ride this summer.

John
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
That's a dramatic difference. I've always believed in coating headers but most guys don't because of the extra cost. Many think coating is simply for appearance...they don't realize the functional, real world benefits. This is from Jet-Hot:

"The coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat. Also, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently."

Thanks for sharing your findings...good post!
I get the coating everytime, Keeps the underhood temps down. Plus I never liked the blued look. Coated headers last a lot longer also!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRR
I bought some really nice peel-n-stick insulation that has a shiny, thick aluminum face, about 1/8" thick insulation, and then the adhesive. It's the same stuff that's on the Thermal-Abs. I removed my Thermal-Abs tunnel plate and put a layer of this insulation above the tunnel plate (but not along the edges where the screws go through). Since I had the tunnel plate off, I covered some places near the shifter that the factory left exposed. I then added insulation along the sides of the tunnel just below the plate.
John
Where did you buy the peel-n-stick insulation?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 192 Posts

I bought the peel-n-stick material off of eBay. The seller said he bought it as surplus from the Shelby factory. If I can find his name and address, I'll shoot you a message.

John
Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
BIGB23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of good info on this post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I had my LG's coated as well, although I went to a local shop and it was about half the cost of Jet Hot and they did an awesome job.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WW, could you detect any change in the sound of your exhaust with the jet coating? Quieter?

Last edited by tsts; 04-08-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
JetHot is great stuff; I wouldn't run uncoated headers on any car of mine after seeing how much of a difference the coating makes...

Here are my Kooks after about 15,000 miles of use:

Did your exhaust sounds lessen? Any quieter? Different?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tsts
Did your exhaust sounds lessen? Any quieter? Different?
What, with the headers or the coating?
The coating is thinner than a sheet of paper; it has no effect on exhaust noise.
The headers make the car louder and meaner at high RPMs but don't make too much of a difference at low RPM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

For people that are following :

We will be testing 2 ECS built 427s at WGI in 2 weeks. Mine has the coating and the other doesn't. Unfortunately we have different headers ARH vs. LG but such is life.

I will try to get measurements at different spots since last time we only did one specific area.

Btw my setup is coated all the way to the exhaust.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm a believer!!!!
under hood temps on my car are 130 cooler than before I had mine coated.
as soon as I get my new Lg Super Pros they will be getting coated!!
and I'm also doing the X pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Jet Hot Coating

Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
For people that are following :

We will be testing 2 ECS built 427s at WGI in 2 weeks. Mine has the coating and the other doesn't. Unfortunately we have different headers ARH vs. LG but such is life.

I will try to get measurements at different spots since last time we only did one specific area.

Btw my setup is coated all the way to the exhaust.
Hey Bob, great post, I will ask the guys what they would charge to get the same thing done on my Z.

Great mod and should be done when you get the headers done saves money in the long run.

Ernie
Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by oliveiraej
Hey Bob, great post, I will ask the guys what they would charge to get the same thing done on my Z.

Great mod and should be done when you get the headers done saves money in the long run.

Ernie
Yeah if you think you want it then get them coated prior to putting them on. Not that it is alot of extra money to take the headers off and reinstall, but your car will be down for 10 days or so while they get coated.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Yeah if you think you want it then get them coated prior to putting them on. Not that it is alot of extra money to take the headers off and reinstall, but your car will be down for 10 days or so while they get coated.
Too late the header were done 2 years ago. I'll do it in the off season, I will also be getting some additional cooling work, new radiator, new trans diff coolers. The radiator may wait but the coolers I may be soon.

Quick Reply: Jet Hot Coating