C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade mustang to Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xstang
The LS3 with bolt-ons is capable of a 10.9 1/4...
While that actually hasn't happened (yet), I too believe that it is possible.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAT_FINK
apples and oranges boss... his excuse is that your car is faster...
I dont understand how this is apples to oranges. When I purchased my car brand new in 05 it had a sticker price a little over 50k. The new gt500 cobra has a sticker price of 60k and boast 500 hp and is supercharged. By the logic of both cars being around the same price the mustang having 100 more hp stock and having an upgraded supercharger as this guy did his power level should be higher than mine which in fact it is. My vette just happens not to be a heavy ugly terd. And with 60 or more less rwhp I can still beat his pants off.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Numbers are just numbers - that's what people say about dyno tunes and that's what I say about cars. I don't care what the paper says, it's what actually happens in REAL LIFE that matters. I don't give a crap if on paper I should lose because I'm going to be .5 seconds slower - there are so many things that account for someone being faster than someone else, half a second doesn't mean crap.

Example: put someone in a vette who doesn't know how to shift and pit them against a pro, and the pro will win. Its just as much about the driver as it is about the car.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Espresso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the thing though .
Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 AM
impactblue
Instructor

yes but anyone can get good with a car, its seat time that makes the world of difference.
my friend in a full suspension 03 mustang will out handle an average driving in a 04 z06.
knowing your car and being able to use its full potential isnt easy... modding something you cant use all the way??

im not knocking it, im all for DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN but... try to master what you have first. =)
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
bolivianpimp
Heel & Toe

I have to say that I love how my mustang looks. I have definitely personalized it like I wanted it so far just like I want it. The only thing that really makes me want to jump ships is because of the tiny 4.6 lol. The only way I can get decent power is with a turbo/ or s/c and then other parts might break or i would need to upgrade. With the vette, not only does it have a bigger engine and more potential, but it handles much better. If i didn't get multiple stares and people coming up to me in the stang i woudl ahve switched already. But damn i get some many stares and complements in my stang!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
I have to say that I love how my mustang looks. I have definitely personalized it like I wanted it so far just like I want it. The only thing that really makes me want to jump ships is because of the tiny 4.6 lol. The only way I can get decent power is with a turbo/ or s/c and then other parts might break or i would need to upgrade. With the vette, not only does it have a bigger engine and more potential, but it handles much better. If i didn't get multiple stares and people coming up to me in the stang i woudl ahve switched already. But damn i get some many stares and complements in my stang!!!
I'm telling you you will miss it. Wait until you can afford to keep it and get a vette!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
I'm telling you you will miss it. Wait until you can afford to keep it and get a vette!
I fully agree, as that is exactly what I did. But I do favor the C6!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This article is a pretty good comparison of the GT500 and an LS2.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/2007-s...-corvette.html
The 616 lb difference in the vette and the mustang is huge.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM
GTO4now
Intermediate

You really have to decide what is more important to you. Do you want a car that can be faster and handle better than your current ride or are you happy with the way that car looks and will you be satisfied with a low 12 sec. or high 11 sec. mustang? A h/c LS2 vette should be a solid mid 11 sec. car (maybe better). A FI mustang will probably range from mid 12's to high 11's depending on what all you do, the type kit you buy, etc. I personally regret buying my GTO...it's ok as a "muscle car", but the vette's are just a better platform for going fast...period. I will be moving to a vette...just not sure when.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you've got a nice car that you've put a lot of money into. If you're not happy with what you have then you won't be happy with a vette either. When I go to the drags, there are always a lot of super fast mustangs that blow away my stock vette. Add a turbo charger (or two).

Last edited by goatts; 03-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Velocity2008
Racer

Ok, from personal experience -Buy the Vette!!!

I owned a 2005 Mustang GT with all the bolt ons and had 305 at the rear wheels. I was thinking about adding a super charger then I saw the prices dropping on the C6's. I did my homework and compared the C6 LS3 against a 2008 Shelby Cobra. The Cobra had more hp, but weighed a ton more. The Shelby was going to cost $300 less but I decided to get the Vette. My insurance was less and my gas mileage is great.

I've had a HP tune added, and the TB and upper plenum ported. It's around 404 rwhp and 395 torque. Also added a larger AiRaid intake and cut the shroud to get cold air coming into the air filter. Now anything above 40 mph drops air temp coming into the motor.

I can do 0-60 mph in 4.11 seconds and that's at only 75% throttle. Added Z51 sways and again a huge difference in handling.

On gas milage - I drive agressively and get 15.5 to 16.5 mpg with stop light to stoplight. Where I can drive 50-60 mph range with less stoplights I can get 18-19 mpg. Intersate at 70 mph 28+_ mpg.

My 2005 Mustang GT could only get 25 mpg doing 70 mph on the intersate and had 100 less hp.

Buy the Vette you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:23 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Default Forget the specs and drive what you love.

Here is a video of my friend going 10.6 seconds with his six cylinder convertible (twin turbo):

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...urrent=106.flv

My point is simple: Opinions are like %$#holes, and everyone has one. Forget all the hype and drive what you love, because there is always going to be someone faster than you; regardless of make or model
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
RAT_FINK
Advanced

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
I dont understand how this is apples to oranges. When I purchased my car brand new in 05 it had a sticker price a little over 50k. The new gt500 cobra has a sticker price of 60k and boast 500 hp and is supercharged. By the logic of both cars being around the same price the mustang having 100 more hp stock and having an upgraded supercharger as this guy did his power level should be higher than mine which in fact it is. My vette just happens not to be a heavy ugly terd. And with 60 or more less rwhp I can still beat his pants off.
that's my point A vette with that much less horsepower will pull on a Gt500. Not fair comparison as IMHO the vette is the superior unit for power to weight, style handling and braking.. I personal wouldn't compare a GT500 to a vette as brute power out of the box is no comparsion for refined all around sports car performance ...Thats what killed me about my 04 cobra..modded up it went like a bat outta hell in a straight line. Brake and handling were sub par even after light upgrades in those areas.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
RAT_FINK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvee
This article is a pretty good comparison of the GT500 and an LS2.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/2007-s...-corvette.html
The 616 lb difference in the vette and the mustang is huge.
precisely
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM
warsurfer
Instructor

I had an 04 cobra with some minor mods. the blower sounded great and it pulled HARD. at the time I had a stage IV ported eaton waiting to be installed (couldn't find a tuner) and I met another mustang guy that had recently moved to DC from Houston. he kept talking about just how nasty the vettes were out there. after a couple months of hearing this from a guy with an 03 cobra with about 500whp, I started looking at used C5's.

I picked up a nice EB example from some rich guy up in Jersey. It only made 408rwhp, but with the 4.10 rear it pulled like a raped ape - WAY harder than my Cobra. It felt like a damn slingshot. I have since picked up a C6 that puts 468 at the rear wheels and based on what mods I have left to do, there is quite a bit more power still on the table.

Mustangs are fun cars, but they will never be in the same category as the vette. I'm not bashing, I had 7 of them. they are built and marketed to a different price point and as such lack the refinement/technology/handling of the vette.

I'd recommend picking up a nice c5 z06 with some tasteful mods, you will never look back.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=warsurfer;1569405876]
Mustangs are fun cars, but they will never be in the same category as the vette. I'm not bashing, I had 7 of them. they are built and marketed to a different price point and as such lack the refinement/technology/handling of the vette.

I fully agree. My 03 Cobra is putting 627 to the wheels and runs consistently in the mid tens. It's a real white-knuckled ride to say the least, and the car is totally useless on the street without slicks, or at least really wide MT drag radials.

I only have 1400 miles on my C6 Z51 (485RWH), but it feels a lot more stable on the street as compared to the Mustang. I did get rid of the stock run flats, which made a marked improvement. I'm anxious to get a real feel for the car on April 9th at our semi-annual track rental. I have no plans of turning the C6 into a drag car, but I am curious to see what she'll do in the quarter.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

All you guys keep saying they are two different animals, well **** I need to go drive a vette so I can see for myself! Are the shocks pretty good even with aftermarket wheels and tires, lowering? I think I would definitely try to look for a used c6 with all kind of mods already, but it seems like every vette i find is completely stock!
I would suggest you drive any C6 and get a feel for it. As you jump from an 05 to 06 to 07 etc there are small improvements. As far as comparing to a stang - no contest - the vette is simply a superior car - no question about it!

Quick Reply: Upgrade mustang to Vette?