C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Exhaust Install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
N62XS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Exhaust Install HELP!

I tried once before, but got little response. Still stuck.

We are trying to install a set of American Racing Headers/X-pipe and a stock Z06 exhaust/ NPP in a box on an A6 2007 convertible. Everything is in and fits except for the area around the transmission/over the axle. There is either little little(Less than a 1/4") or no clearance at all.

I know this has been done, but little to no info available on issues/resolutions that lead me to think we either have a part (x-pipe or the headers) upstream of the axle/trans.

Any thoughts, help, advice, phone call, I told you so, part #s or give up, please let me know. I've never had one this strange.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
STLBLUES
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I have heard the 3" Z over the axle pipes will not clear the autos. My friend has the z muffs with stock c6 over the axle pipes welded to them on his auto. I am sure your x pipe is 3" so some fab/welding would come into play.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed two different 3" systems on my A6, first a Borla with long tubes and then a stock Z system with LS7 manifolds. There are three things that you need to do to get the pipe on the driver's side through:

1. Lower the rear suspension cradle by loosening the 4 nuts holding it to the body or frame. You can gain about 3/4", just don't over do it or they could come off.

2. Undo the transmission linkage.

3. Remove the aluminum support under the driver side fuel tank (it helps if the tank is nearly empty) Then bend the black tab out of the way to let the exhaust pipe slide by. Here's a photo of the area with the tank support removed:

And a close up of the bent tab:

After you get the pipe by then you bend the tab back and reinstall the fuel tank support.

Here's the completed 3" system, this one is of the Borla:

Notice the small spreader plate to keep the pipes from contacting the pan:

FWIW I was never able to completely stop the pipes from banging against the pan with either system so I eventually removed the 3" system and put in reducers just after the manifolds and used a 2.5" system:

Since I seem to be a chronic modaholic and can't leave things alone I will soon be using a 3" Corsa X-pipe and reducing it to 2.5" at the over axle pipe in search of a little bit deeper exhaust sound...

Last edited by vetracer; 02-02-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Exhaust Install HELP!

Quick Reply: Z06 Exhaust Install HELP!