C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
jptonks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam Quality

Hello all,

I have a street driven 2008 convertible, F55 and MN6. I am considering getting a MGW shifter, tune, CAI, and 4.10 gears this spring from a famous Westchester NY area tuner (guess who?). The car is in storage for the winter and I can't wait! He is recommending a Vararam.

I am reluctant to do the Vararam because I don't want anything on the car that looks second rate because of a lack of quality materials or first class assembly. There are other choices in CAIs out there, such as Callaway. Since the car is street driven only, I do not need the absolute very last HP or LB/FT of TQ from the CAI, just a reasonable improvement from a quality mod.

Has the build/asembly quality of the Vararam unit improved lately to the point where this is no longer a crticism?

Thanks for your help.

jptonks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jptonks
Hello all,

I have a street driven 2008 convertible, F55 and MN6. I am considering getting a MGW shifter, tune, CAI, and 4.10 gears this spring from a famous Westchester NY area tuner (guess who?). The car is in storage for the winter and I can't wait! He is recommending a Vararam.

I am reluctant to do the Vararam because I don't want anything on the car that looks second rate because of a lack of quality materials or first class assembly. There are other choices in CAIs out there, such as Callaway. Since the car is street driven only, I do not need the absolute very last HP or LB/FT of TQ from the CAI, just a reasonable improvement from a quality mod.

Has the build/asembly quality of the Vararam unit improved lately to the point where this is no longer a crticism?

Thanks for your help.

jptonks
look at any other cai then look at the vararam, how much better can one look, plastic all looks the same. they all look black, but VARARAM works best and is the fastest
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't know if there have been quality improvements since I bought mine nearly a year ago. At that time, some were horrible (mine) and some were great. I'm more of a performance person, so I've modified it to make it work with duct tape, wire, screws, etc.

If I were buying again, and my suggestion to anyone desiring quality of fit and finish, I'd physically inspect the product before laying my money on the counter. JMHO
Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my vararam 1 year ago. I have my car apart right now due to a part failure but noticed my intake had warped. Obviously being less than pleased I sent vararam a pm with pics of what happened. They immediately responded and sent me a new cover for free. The new cover is definitely higher quality than my older one. The plastic is more rigid and is finished in a higher quality looking gloss black. I was very pleased with the new design and when you combine that with the customer service, I wouldn't consider any other intake.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1.8t
I bought my vararam 1 year ago. I have my car apart right now due to a part failure but noticed my intake had warped. Obviously being less than pleased I sent vararam a pm with pics of what happened. They immediately responded and sent me a new cover for free. The new cover is definitely higher quality than my older one. The plastic is more rigid and is finished in a higher quality looking gloss black. I was very pleased with the new design and when you combine that with the customer service, I wouldn't consider any other intake.
I do not mean to highjack this thread, but how is the rebuild coming along? What is needing to be replaced, due to the timing chain failure? Have you or anyone found out the reason for the failure?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your pm's.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen good, bad and ugly comments regarding the quality on the VR here over the years. Many swear by it, and others swear at it.

I will say I never saw any negative comments regarding the installation, quality or performance of the Callaway Honker. You decide.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
look at any other cai then look at the vararam, how much better can one look, plastic all looks the same. they all look black, but VARARAM works best and is the fastest
Good point. It sits under the hood (where dust and dirt tend to accumulate as well anyway) and completely out of site most of the time. As long it's installed/positioned correctly the Vararam will deliver years and years of happy motoring (and track results).
Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1.8t
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

jptonks
Since you brought up Callaway -

The C6 Honker:
- Uni-directional airflow, gets cool air from outside of engine compartment.
- Precision, simplified construction and premium quality hardware for trouble-free installation.
- Lowest restriction / highest flow rate of any system tested.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcv

The C6 Honker:
- Precision, simplified construction and premium quality hardware for trouble-free installation.

Mike, I sent you an e-mail today, concerning the Honker on my 08 MN6, trigerring a repeated check engine light along with some surging. Please reply, as I read you all have come up with a fix with some replacement parts.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I went with the BPP Vortex Rammer because of it's quality and it breathes outside cool air just like the Honker or Vararam. I haven't read any complaints about this product.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by mcv

The C6 Honker:

This is exactly what I have. Great build quality and looks great on the car. I have had absolutely no problems what so ever. I would recommend this unit to anyone. I am very satisfied and will buy another if I ever trade cars.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj

I have the VaraRam. The instructions for installation were done by a 9-year old, but this is the best CAI you'll ever get....especially when you are cruising on the freeway about 75 MPH and decide to tromp it (when it's time to humiliate a Porsche or whatever), then you'll be glad you have it, feels damn good!
Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

jptonks
Before you purchase a CAI...Look at the BPP Vortex. Great performance linked to superb quality. You must live with you decision...So please compare. Iv'e owened both and I'm much more confortable with the fit and finish of the BPP Vortex! Dennis has the fastest c6 in the universe and is very happy with his custom built Vararam. Iv'e owned both and there is no comparison between the standard Vararam and the BPP Vortex CAI, when it comes to fit and finish. By the way I'm the second fastest C6 Bolt-0n. Dennis is king!

Last edited by theofel; 01-23-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PAUZAO
Mike, I sent you an e-mail today, concerning the Honker on my 08 MN6, trigerring a repeated check engine light along with some surging. Please reply, as I read you all have come up with a fix with some replacement parts.
Saw your email. I'm still trying to find out where this "fix" rumor started. We haven't identified a problem to fix.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

Vararam looks ok and to me, appears to be the only system that brings in completely cold air even at a stop (usefull if you launch your car hard). If they do a carefull install when they cut, it will look factory.

Try not to drive with the hood open and most of the concerns about looks will fade away and the performance will put a smile on your face.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Quality

Old 01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Gofan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chuck just put one in my car last night

want me to snap a pic for you? I can hear a slight whiz from the intake with the top down. Not sure the tune has fully taken but the performance is more than noticeable and the driveability is fantastic. I have an A6 with 273. Bone stock.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the quality of all of them are about the same. It comes down to which CAI you want. You can't go wrong with any one of them.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:12 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Try not to drive with the hood open and most of the concerns about looks will fade away and the performance will put a smile on your face.

Quick Reply: Vararam Quality