C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air/ Intake packages...Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 AM
DroppinLs1Vette
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cold air/ Intake packages...Question...

I'm looking to add a cold air induction package to my C6...I know everyone has their own opinions, but i wanted to know what you guys thought....On my other vette (c5) I had a halltech system and it was okay for the money....

On my c6 z51 I have a diablo programmer, and b&b exhaust..and really need an intake..I was thinking the vararam or the callaway honker system...

But what kind of intake system to you guys reccomend or prefer? Or which system have people had good results with, backed by track or dyno numbers

Thanks!

Sonny
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Originally Posted by DroppinLs1Vette
I'm looking to add a cold air induction package to my C6...I know everyone has their own opinions, but i wanted to know what you guys thought....On my other vette (c5) I had a halltech system and it was okay for the money....

On my c6 z51 I have a diablo programmer, and b&b exhaust..and really need an intake..I was thinking the vararam or the callaway honker system...

But what kind of intake system to you guys reccomend or prefer? Or which system have people had good results with, backed by track or dyno numbers

Thanks!

Sonny
I'm using the BPP Vortex CAI. Works well, Looks Great, Superb Quality and installation is relatively easy. This is installed on my bolt-on only LS3 which runs the quarter in 11.2 @121mph. So I feel it does everything the manufacturer claims. My previous CAI on my bolt-on LS2 was the Vararam which also did a great job...BUT... It lacked the fit and finish of the Bpp Vortex. JUST MY OPINION...Good luck in your seection of a good CAI.

Last edited by theofel; 01-15-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 AM
slvr76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been happy with the vararam on my 07. Ported intake/tb;Kooks 1 7/8 headers;custom tune; 392/388
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by theofel
I'm using the BPP Vortex CAI. Works well, Looks Great, Superb Quality and installation is relatively easy. This is installed on my bolt-on only LS3 which runs the quarter in 11.2 @121mph. So I feel it does everything the manufacturer claims. My previous CAI on my bolt-on LS2 was the Vararam which also did a great job...BUT... It lacked the fit and finish of the Bpp Vortex. JUST MY OPINION...Good luck in your seection of a good CAI.
Also installed the BPP Vortex and am fully satisfied. I especially like the quality of the product.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DroppinLs1Vette
I'm looking to add a cold air induction package to my C6...On my c6 z51 I have a diablo programmer, and b&b exhaust..and really need an intake..I was thinking the vararam or the callaway honker system...

But what kind of intake system to you guys reccomend or prefer? Or which system have people had good results with, backed by track or dyno numbers.
IMO, it is possible to ingest water from the road surface into the Vararam or Vette-Air and it can go straight to the engine if it does. Water can't be compressed and as such the result is a hydro-lock because the engine can't compress or displace the volume of water in the combustion chamber that would normally be air. The Vararam intake by design mounts very low to the road surface in your front fascia opening below the headlights and above the fob lights. A sufficient puddle and either a good splash from another vehicle as well as the motion of your car hitting the puddle could raise up a wall of water that your intake may just suck in.

CAI's such as the BPP, LPE and Callaway Honker have their openings higher on the upper opposite side of the radiator, making it tougher (but not impossible) to ingest water.

The Callaway Honker has got to be one of the best intakes for street/strip use. Excellent quality, collects virtually zero bugs, no debris, no sucking noise and has a much larger filter area as compared to the Vararam. There is pressure created in the area that the Honker draws from. With the larger filter area, you could get the same power results and gains at speed as the Vararam. The only downer is you cannot get a Honker with an optional pre-cut shroud.

I gained .15 in the 1/4 mile by just propping my shroud open with the "free air mod". You can gain from .10 to .30 in the 1/4 mile with a true closed system Cold Air Intake. I picked up .20 in the 1/4 mile with my Xcelerator (Honker clone) CAI. Good Luck!

Last edited by siffert; 01-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
DroppinLs1Vette
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very happy with my Honker. Fit and finish is great! They even include pins to put into the upper radiator shroud to cover the holes left from removing the factory unit. I haven't seen another air intake manufacturer do that!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the BPP Vortex as well. I am very happy with it's appearance and performance.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
LAWLESS
Instructor

I have the bpp too!!! Its sounds and works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM
MLCZ51
Burning Brakes

Default Vortex....vararam

BOTH WORK VERY WELL I HAVE USE BOTH..
Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 PM
teuhl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MTI Racing in Atlanta is installing a Callaway Honker on my 08 C6 on Monday. They have tested all the intakes and Callaway is their recommendation.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:46 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VaraRam
Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

BPP's Vortex Ram Air. Great quality, fit and finish. Provides everything you want in a CAI.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,264 Likes on 922 Posts

To reap the benefits of a true "cold air" unit the air ingestion must come from outside the engine compartment. If not the air is superheated by the engine heat and the affect is lost. The most popular units here on the Forum seem to be the VaraRam or the Callaway Honker. Both pull cold air from outside the car through the radiator shroud which must be cut to access the air stream in front of the radiator. Not much price difference in the two units. There are many posts on this subject which can be accessed by using the search function. Good Luck in your quest.

On the subject of "Hydrolock" unless you drive through standing water about a foot deep there is no problem. Just don't try to play U-Boat captian and you will be fine.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Vararam
Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Vararam and Callaway are both good. It is just a matter of preference.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
To reap the benefits of a true "cold air" unit the air ingestion must come from outside the engine compartment. If not the air is superheated by the engine heat and the affect is lost. The most popular units here on the Forum seem to be the VaraRam or the Callaway Honker. Both pull cold air from outside the car through the radiator shroud which must be cut to access the air stream in front of the radiator. Not much price difference in the two units. There are many posts on this subject which can be accessed by using the search function. Good Luck in your quest.

On the subject of "Hydrolock" unless you drive through standing water about a foot deep there is no problem. Just don't try to play U-Boat captian and you will be fine.
Add the BPP Vortex to the above. It also is a true cold air unit requiring the shroud to be cut.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air/ Intake packages...Question...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
WRONG, try ankle deep! Read it on the forums from another Vararam user and thought he was nuts.....water that low can't get sucked it. Then it happened to me. Ankle deep is all it took, I was standing in it pushing the car out of this puddle, amazed and pissed that the water was only a few inches high.

I now run the Airaid intake for the LS2 and it pulls just as hard as it did with the Vararam. I left the cut shroud in place so plenty of cool air can reach the filter.....but being its not a scoop and another 7-8 inches higher I don't expect to have any water issues unless I really submerge the nose of the car.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
WRONG, try ankle deep! Read it on the forums from another Vararam user and thought he was nuts.....water that low can't get sucked it. Then it happened to me. Ankle deep is all it took, I was standing in it pushing the car out of this puddle, amazed and pissed that the water was only a few inches high.

I now run the Airaid intake for the LS2 and it pulls just as hard as it did with the Vararam. I left the cut shroud in place so plenty of cool air can reach the filter.....but being its not a scoop and another 7-8 inches higher I don't expect to have any water issues unless I really submerge the nose of the car.
Thanks for the info which confirms what I have been saying about those front end VR and Vette-Air scoops. As you say with your Airaid, the Honker etc. with the cut shrouds having their openings higher on the upper opposite side of the radiator, making it much tougher (but not impossible) to ingest water.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Silver05GTO, I appreciate you posting up your experience. Sorry it happened, but glad to see you're looking out for others. I'd like to know more about the details of what was damaged and what you wound up doing to fix it if you don't mind. PM me if you want.

San

Quick Reply: Cold air/ Intake packages...Question...