C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Service Active Handling issue

My 2005 has been intermittently flashing-up the 'SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING' warning on the DIC for some time now and I need to fix it. I've read the fix on the forums, but haven't been able to find any pics. Has anyone got any? Otherwise, can someone let me know which cowling I should remove... the one surrounding the steering column, or the panel above the pedals / opposite your shins when sitting in the car? If it's the steering column cowling, a quick look and fiddle doesn't reveal any obvious way to remove it. Any pointers?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

i need a code to help
Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by patton
i need a code to help
Thanks, but doesn't need interpretation of a code... I know the fix (well-known issue with the 2005 MY), just need to have some pointers around the 'how'.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM
jmt1669
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

This bulletin may help. Look below under "Correction".

2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel - Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37 or N38)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to update the models and provide new correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-35-002A (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a Stabilitrak® or Active Handling System light being illuminated. Also, this warning light will be accompanied by a SERVICE STABILITRAK or SERVICE ACTIVE HNDLG message on the DIC.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may reveal a DTC C0710.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC C0710 on a vehicle equipped with telescoping/tilt steering wheel is high resistance in SWPS connector C202. Fretting terminal corrosion may be present in the SWPS connector due to the telescoping motion of the steering column. When the steering column is telescoped in and out, the female terminals within the SWPS connector may move on the male terminals of the SWPS. This movement between the terminals may cause a high resistance condition in the SWPS connector.

Correction
Remove the driver's side closeout (insulator) panel.
Locate the SWPS connector that connects to the steering angle sensor, located on the lower center of the steering column.

Install the clip (1), P/N 19179794, into the connector. This clip will act as a terminal positive assurance (TPA) and prevent any movement of the terminals.
Reinstall the closeout panel.
Clear the DTC with a scan tool and road test the vehicle.
If DTC C0710 resets during the road test, refer to DTC C0710 in SI.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Clip, Steering Angle

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E9464*
Install Clip into Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Connector
0.3 hr
Old 12-08-2008, 01:03 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmt1669
This bulletin may help. Look below under "Correction".

2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel - Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37 or N38)

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and provide new correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-35-002A (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a Stabilitrak® or Active Handling System light being illuminated. Also, this warning light will be accompanied by a SERVICE STABILITRAK or SERVICE ACTIVE HNDLG message on the DIC.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may reveal a DTC C0710.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC C0710 on a vehicle equipped with telescoping/tilt steering wheel is high resistance in SWPS connector C202. Fretting terminal corrosion may be present in the SWPS connector due to the telescoping motion of the steering column. When the steering column is telescoped in and out, the female terminals within the SWPS connector may move on the male terminals of the SWPS. This movement between the terminals may cause a high resistance condition in the SWPS connector.

Correction
Remove the driver's side closeout (insulator) panel.
Locate the SWPS connector that connects to the steering angle sensor, located on the lower center of the steering column.

Install the clip (1), P/N 19179794, into the connector. This clip will act as a terminal positive assurance (TPA) and prevent any movement of the terminals.
Reinstall the closeout panel.
Clear the DTC with a scan tool and road test the vehicle.
If DTC C0710 resets during the road test, refer to DTC C0710 in SI.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Clip, Steering Angle

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E9464*
Install Clip into Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Connector
0.3 hr

Thanks, I'm assuming the 'closeout panel' is the flat, upholstered panel between the steering column shroud and the pedals. Can anyone confirm?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but...

Are only cars with telescopic steering wheels having the Service Active Handling problem?

Does this Fix-it apply to Tilt only steering wheels?

I'm asking because the other day I was making a sharp U turn and the front right brake just locked for about 4 seconds. Then it released and it did it again 50ft down the road for about the same duration of time. Then my SAH light showed up. The light is not on anymore but it did put a scare on me. Imagine that happen at high speeds....
Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 PM
herbie1057
Instructor

Originally Posted by i_york
Thanks, I'm assuming the 'closeout panel' is the flat, upholstered panel between the steering column shroud and the pedals. Can anyone confirm?
I am wondering the same thing. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 PM
jmt1669
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by herbie1057
Yes it's a big problem and VERY dangerous!! Get it fixed ASAP!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ng-on-dic.html
Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 AM
C6 ROLLER
Burning Brakes

Default Sah

Originally Posted by Sparo2
Are only cars with telescopic steering wheels having the Service Active Handling problem?

I'm asking because the other day I was making a sharp U turn and the front right brake just locked for about 4 seconds. Then it released and it did it again 50ft down the road for about the same duration of time. Then my SAH light showed up. The light is not on anymore but it did put a scare on me. Imagine that happen at high speeds....
Originally Posted by herbie1057
The Service Active Handling comes on in my 05 A4 and it's usually when I'm racing at Moroso but the brakes have never locked up on me. The brake lights actually come on because I have it on video. Others ask why I hit the brakes prior to the finish line.

This has ALSO happened to a 05 A4 twin turbo owner that I know while he was racing and just short of the finish line the brakes locked up on him and he skidded across the line at around 120+ MPH.

I would have shat my pants
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration called me today regarding my formal complaint about SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING (WICH TURNED OUT TO BE Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Connector) They are actively investgating this problem,IMHO is a serious saftey issue,those who had this happen to them while driving understands the severity of this problem,he STRONGLY urged me to tell anyone dont hesitate to contact National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this issue has the potental to be a recall..
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was just a loose wire. I didnt fix it myself though I hate electronics. I just made chevy fix it for me.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a search here on the forum...there have been a few recent threads on this and one I recall had photos with a DIY fix (pretty much following what the TSB recommended).

FWIW, I believe there is a subsequent TSB on this problem with the letter "B" on the end...TSB 06.02.35.002B

This is a related post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...dling-fix.html
Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Barry Silliphant
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALEX HIDELL
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration called me today regarding my formal complaint about SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING (WICH TURNED OUT TO BE Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Connector) They are actively investgating this problem,IMHO is a serious saftey issue,those who had this happen to them while driving understands the severity of this problem,he STRONGLY urged me to tell anyone dont hesitate to contact National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this issue has the potental to be a recall..
Alex,
Just paid $161 to have the $9.39 clip installed by the dealer. My brake system went wacky sunday before last and I had to get it towed. All I was doing was making a slow sharp left turn. My 05 coupe only has TILT. How do you make a formal complaint to NHSF?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Barry Silliphant
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sparo2
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but...

I just had this happen to me. 05 coupe with 40,000miles. Brakes went nuts during a slow sharp left turn and had to tow the 44yrdrm away.
How about an update on your car and has it happened again?
Do you think I should have to pay for their bad connector? Cost me $161
thanks, Barry
thanks, Barry
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEX HIDELL
Alex - How'd things turn out with the NHTS filing? What was the outcome? How do you report this?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Grab a cup of Joe and read this thread.

As you'll see the clip ISN'T the fix

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...er-action.html
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
jhorton58
Advanced

Default Service Active Handling

I found this link helpful when I started getting erratic braking and "service active handling" messages go to

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...056-31583P.pdf

I hope this helps someone else

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling issue

Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
d3miller
Instructor

Any chance this is covered out of warranty?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Everyone having this problem should contact the NHTSA and file a complaint. It's very easy to do and if enough complaints are filed GM will be forced to take care of this issue. They don't want to be another Toyota.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
jhorton58
Advanced

As far as I know it isn't covered by warranty. The clip was 10.50 after taxes and took about 2 minutes to install it. The cover is the one between the the bottom of the dash and the brake pedal, the plug is attached just under the steering section and the clip just snaps in.

My problem has been solved. It was very easy, I would install it free for anyone that purchases the clip and comes to my shop, why dealers feel the need to charge 160.00 is beyond me - this is very dangerous and they are making money off a safety issue.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling issue