C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right turn signal flashing fast

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems I am kinda having the same issue. The front turn signals and side marker lights are on. However, the right side turn signal and marker lights do not flash when hazard switch is on or signaling for a right turn. Any idea what is causing it?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05C6400
It seems I am kinda having the same issue. The front turn signals and side marker lights are on. However, the right side turn signal and marker lights do not flash when hazard switch is on or signaling for a right turn. Any idea what is causing it?
Sounds like a blown bulb to me?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Just to update this, I'm still having the issue I described in my original post. Very odd... ALL bulbs appear to be perfectly fine, the side (fender-mounted, as I'm in the UK) turn signals are also fine. Everything appears fine except for the fast flashing on the right turn signal. Think I'll try disconnecting the battery for >30 secs and re-connecting just to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, I guess I may try replacing the bulbs just to see if it makes any difference (although, as I say, they are all working perfectly).
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
flor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, i'm having the same problem and was wondering if you allready found a solution. Would be great to hear from you, thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:44 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flor
Hello, i'm having the same problem and was wondering if you allready found a solution. Would be great to hear from you, thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, not. I've tried disconnecting the battery (for >30 mins) and that made no difference. My left side has also now started to flash fast intermittently. Very weird.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by i_york
For the past few weeks, my right turn signal has been flashing at about double-speed. I'm well aware that, usually, this is down to a blown bulb. However, I've done a full walk around the car with every conceivable combination of lights on and every bulb seems to check-out fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ian.
Could be that on a dual filament bulb, one filament broke and then shorted to the remaining filament. This may give the appearance that the bulb is good, but one filiment may be broken.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by calemasters
Could be that on a dual filament bulb, one filament broke and then shorted to the remaining filament. This may give the appearance that the bulb is good, but one filiment may be broken.
Which bulbs are dual filament in the C6? Surely, if that were the case, I'd notice a difference from one side to the next?? I've looked very closely at ALL the lights from outside the car and they all seem identical across sides and fine?!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2 daytime running lamps, and the 4 tail lamps, i.e. the turn signals.

Also, the BCM controls the turn signals. Could be a BCM issue?

Last edited by calemasters; 06-18-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by i_york
Just to update this, I'm still having the issue I described in my original post. Very odd... ALL bulbs appear to be perfectly fine, the side (fender-mounted, as I'm in the UK) turn signals are also fine. Everything appears fine except for the fast flashing on the right turn signal. Think I'll try disconnecting the battery for >30 secs and re-connecting just to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, I guess I may try replacing the bulbs just to see if it makes any difference (although, as I say, they are all working perfectly).
Dont you guys in england run on a different voltage.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 AM
flor
Intermediate

I will bring the vette to the dealer next week and will let them check if there is something wrong with the bcm, keep you informed.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
flor
Intermediate

I also checked if swapping the bulbs left and right would make a difference, it didn't.
What was even more strange was that with the left front bulb removed, it still behaved the same. So left flashed at normal speed and right at double speed.?????????
Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

I'VE FOUND THE SOURCE OF MY PROBLEM...

On UK cars imported from the US (which mine is), the car must pass something called the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test on arrival to the UK and before the car can be registered (title issued). This test, among other things, requires that DRL be disabled. As part of the wiring modifications, I found 3 20W bulbs wired on each side of the car at the rear, behind the rear fascia panel. These were visible when I removed the rear lamp housings. Although these bulbs illuminate, they are not visible from outside the car and have evidently been put there to provide a certain electrical impedence/resistance. On my passenger-side (the side with the fast blinking), I found 2 of these bulbs had blown.

This particular case will be specific to UK cars (and possibly European) which have been imported from the US and have had a similar SVA conversion done to them.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
flor
Intermediate

Great to hear, mine is also an english car imported from the states in 2005 by the american carriage company. I myself imported it to the netherlands last March.
Can you tell me where those bulbs are located, the rear fascia panel doesn't ring a bell. (my guess would be somewhere behind the rear taillights?)
was your car also imported by the american carriage company? Would be a nice coincedense.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
flor
Intermediate

If it is the same for me i"m in your debt, maybe a bottle of whiskey?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Great to hear, mine is also an english car imported from the states in 2005 by the american carriage company. I myself imported it to the netherlands last March.
Can you tell me where those bulbs are located, the rear fascia panel doesn't ring a bell. (my guess would be somewhere behind the rear taillights?)
was your car also imported by the american carriage company? Would be a nice coincedense.
flor, on the side you have fast-flashing indicators, remove the outer tail light (x1 torx screw on the outside) and you should see x3 bulbs behind the tail light (but separate)... they'll probably be zip-tied to the loom.

No, my car was personally-imported by a guy in the armed forces from New Mexico

Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

If it is the same for me i"m in your debt, maybe a bottle of whiskey?
If this turns-out to be your problem, you don't owe me anything... happy to help. However, if it would make you feel better, a bottle of whiskey or some Dutch beer would be very gracious!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
flor
Intermediate

I will look into it this weekend and will let you know.
This afternoon i took a bulb from the left side and very strange it kept flashing at the normal rate, the extra bulbs would explain this. So big chance it is the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Right turn signal flashing fast

Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
While they were working on it did you go out to get 100 yds of shore line and the keys to the oar locks
Flight,.... Radar,.... don't forget the prop wash for clean up afterwards.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM
flor
Intermediate

How did you guess my job??
Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Glory be to GOD
Account disables by request 13 July 2009

You need to get a new kanooter valve.:o

Quick Reply: Right turn signal flashing fast