C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear o2 sensor...check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Sik Six
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Rear o2 sensor...check engine light on

On my last run Saturday, my check engine light came on. I took it to get scanned and it is showing bank 1 sensor 2, which is the driver's side rear o2 sensor. My question is should I replace the sensor for about $100 or just have it tuned out? I am worried if I replace it that the same problem might happen again. I have LT's and hi flo cats and have been reading that this is a somewhat common problem. What have others done with this problem?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 AM
c6-pwr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have them tuned out, and never worry about it again
Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I turned mine off, but when I remove them I get a light. Diablo says that is normal because even if they are turned off, the computer looks to make sure they are there.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Chevy uses a dual O2 sensor system on each side to test the Cats. O2 sensors operate by sensing how much oxygen is left in the mixture and outputting a voltage signal. If combustion is complete and there is no O2 left, their output is zero or flat. The front O2 sensor inputs are used for AFR changes and the rear should be flat as the CATS completely burn any excess fuel. However, for the Cats to light off, they must reach a very high temperature. This happens almost immediately in the stock system with the cats up front, but when you install long tube headers and place them downstream they take longer to heat up. When the ECU runs a cat check and the second O2 sensor output is not flat, it sets a P0430 or P0420 code meaning the Cats are not working. This usually happens before the cats have reached the light off temp. The car will still run fine; you will just be staring at the check engine light periodically.
Replacing the rear O2 sensor, will not fix it. You must tune out the rear sensors.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 AM
susiejasmine
Advanced

Originally Posted by c6-pwr
Have them tuned out, and never worry about it again
I just came thru this. Save yourself a lot of grief and tune them out.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 AM
clockworks
Pro

So what exactly do you mean when you guys say "tuned out". If they are simply turned off and report "not ready" in an OBDII scan, it will fail emissions in Texas.

As of October 15th 2008, Texas emissions test only allows for one sensor to be in the "not ready" state. If rear O2s are tuned out, that means two sensors will be in the not ready state.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc....htm#Readiness

A lot of people running long tubes in Texas... hell, even LG is located in Texas. I'm curious to know if any Texas long tube guys have gotten inspected after Oct 15th.

Or am I misunderstanding what "tuned out" means?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 AM
harrower
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed LT Headers with Cats. I got the engine control light right away. My HP Tuner Scan shows what codes are turning the light on and allows me to un checks the codes that turn on the CEL. All of mine were the rear O2 Sensors. If you leave the CEL on, you would not know if other conditions existed that were not related to the rear O2 Sensors.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
susiejasmine
Advanced

Originally Posted by clockworks
So what exactly do you mean when you guys say "tuned out". If they are simply turned off and report "not ready" in an OBDII scan, it will fail emissions in Texas.

As of October 15th 2008, Texas emissions test only allows for one sensor to be in the "not ready" state. If rear O2s are tuned out, that means two sensors will be in the not ready state.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc....htm#Readiness

A lot of people running long tubes in Texas... hell, even LG is located in Texas. I'm curious to know if any Texas long tube guys have gotten inspected after Oct 15th.

Or am I misunderstanding what "tuned out" means?
Tuned out means taking it to a tuner and when they do a performance tune to the car the way you want they can also turn off the rear sensors so it reads ready at the emission site. Mine was doing like yours till I took it to FastLanes and got it tuned. Put 50 miles on the car and took it back to the site that failed it previously and it passed. That was yesterday Nov. 24th
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
clockworks
Pro

Originally Posted by susiejasmine
Tuned out means taking it to a tuner and when they do a performance tune to the car the way you want they can also turn off the rear sensors so it reads ready at the emission site. Mine was doing like yours till I took it to FastLanes and got it tuned. Put 50 miles on the car and took it back to the site that failed it previously and it passed. That was yesterday Nov. 24th
Very interesting. So it's turned off, but still reports "ready" in an OBDII scan? If so, wow... that makes me feel a lot better about these long tubes... now if only I can get rid of this leak and rattle...
Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
c6-pwr
Advanced

Originally Posted by clockworks
Very interesting. So it's turned off, but still reports "ready" in an OBDII scan? If so, wow... that makes me feel a lot better about these long tubes... now if only I can get rid of this leak and rattle...
Yes, tuned out sensors will report as "ready" at your emissions site.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone have knowledge of using a Tech II to tune out the rear sensors? I have two customers that get this frequently on stock cars. One is an older guy who doesn't drive it hard enough to really light off the cats. I can scan & watch the mv on the 2nd scanner, after a 2 min run at 2k rpm it works fine....
Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
oneblackvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trog
Anyone have knowledge of using a Tech II to tune out the rear sensors? I have two customers that get this frequently on stock cars. One is an older guy who doesn't drive it hard enough to really light off the cats. I can scan & watch the mv on the 2nd scanner, after a 2 min run at 2k rpm it works fine....

Can not be done with a Tech II.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear o2 sensor...check engine light on

Quick Reply: Rear o2 sensor...check engine light on