C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Default weird noise

I'm trying to locate a weird noise (sounds like a rattle) which only happens between 2300-2500rpms, while rpms are maintained in that range. If I let off, it goes away, if I lean into it (accelerate) it goes away. I can only reproduce it in the first 3 gears (so far), and it seems to be softer as the engine warms up.
Does not make that sound if I power thru the gears, nor at any other rpms.
HP tuner logs do not show the knock sensor picking anything (like if it was related to internals).
The only think I can relate it too when it comes to "sounds and weird noise" would be a wrist pin going out on an engine (early stage).
I'm also not able to reproduce that weird sound in neutral on the driveway. I have to be moving.

looking for ideas where to check for something loose, because I honestly have no clue where to start!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Korvette225
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I'm trying to locate a weird noise (sounds like a rattle) which only happens between 2300-2500rpms, while rpms are maintained in that range. If I let off, it goes away, if I lean into it (accelerate) it goes away. I can only reproduce it in the first 3 gears (so far), and it seems to be softer as the engine warms up.
Does not make that sound if I power thru the gears, nor at any other rpms.
HP tuner logs do not show the knock sensor picking anything (like if it was related to internals).
The only think I can relate it too when it comes to "sounds and weird noise" would be a wrist pin going out on an engine (early stage).
I'm also not able to reproduce that weird sound in neutral on the driveway. I have to be moving.

looking for ideas where to check for something loose, because I honestly have no clue where to start!

Could be your upper hatch seal. Mine came loose and bunched up and when closed it caused a very low sucking noise in inside the cabin. About 3-4 inches of it had come out of the groove. Very difficult to see but easy to fix. Drove me nuts for weeks. Couldn't seeit from inside the car and also from the outside due to tinted window.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Korvette225
Could be your upper hatch seal. Mine came loose and bunched up and when closed it caused a very low sucking noise in inside the cabin. About 3-4 inches of it had come out of the groove. Very difficult to see but easy to fix. Drove me nuts for weeks. Couldn't seeit from inside the car and also from the outside due to tinted window.
my noise is coming from the front of the car, under the hood...but never the less, I'll check what you have suggested.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:18 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

so I went under the car to check the exht, shields and what not...couldn't find anything loose...I confirmed that the sound is not there while reving and holding the rpms while parked on the driveway...

Get notified of new replies

To weird noise

Quick Reply: weird noise