C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Compression Ratio CHART

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Let's see what I can do. Refer to the attached thumbnail (click on it to open in a new tab): the red circle and line at the bottom represent the crankpin, Theta is the crank angle at which the intake valve closes (0.006" off its seat), the blue line is the connecting rod, and the green shape is the piston in a red cylinder.

If the connecting rod did NOT lean over during the stroke, (see dotted blue line to the right of the cylinder) the piston would actually be somewhat higher in the cylinder (dotted green line) by a value I call omega. The formula in the spreadsheet in my OP takes this into account and computes omega as a function of theta, and of the ratio of the rod length to the stroke of the crankpin.

Note that if we call the angle between the actual connecting rod and the straight line between the main bearing and the wrist pin beta, then

L*sin(beta) = (stroke/2)*sin(theta)

and you can use Pythagoras' Theorem to find omega as a function of theta.

Since omega always lowers the piston compared to the straight-rod scenario, the DCR is increased due to this affect. Ignoring it would underestimate the TRUE DCR and could lead to detonation and all its nasty consequences.

There will be a quiz on Monday .
And I thought I was smart. Guess it's kinda like racing, no matter how fast you go, there's always going to be someone faster.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

For anybody interested in making the degree symbol for angles or temperature, just hold the alt key while hitting 248 on the number keypad on the right side of your keyboard (not the numbers across the top). Releasing the alt key reveals your symbol.

Hold alt and press:
248 for °
A few others are:
251 for √
253 for ²
0179 for ³
234 for Ω the Greek letter Omega
233 for Θ the Greek letter Theta
There are many others starting with 1 and going through...well I haven't found an end to it. You can also start the code with a "0" for even more. And I really enjoy alt 12...especially when I'm "hittin' it".

Laptops without a separate numeric keypad can use the Fn key to turn certain keys into a numeric keypad.

A few links with more codes:
http://usefulshortcuts.com/downloads/ALT-Codes.pdf
http://www.questgems.com/alt_codes.htm (some of these didn't work)
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Last edited by glass slipper; 01-03-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
The consensus (from SpinMonster, of course!) is that with a tight quench (0.030" or so) the heads for the LS2 (and LS3) can run up to 8.7 to 1 DCR on pump (93 octane) gasoline.

Any thoughts on what the DCR should be for 91 octane at sea level?
I'm looking for the same answer...
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Thanx for repeating your experience here, Guy. I had seen a similar post of yours before.

According to the data Joe_G sent me, and assuming the ramps on his LG cam are similar to COMP XE-R ramps, his theta is about 75 degrees, and his DCR is about 8.2 to 1.

If he can avoid having the valves get friendly with the pistons in his new heads, he can bump up his static compression ratio from around 11.3 to 12 to 1 and still have a DCR of 8.7. Interesting, no?
Well time for me to bump up this great thread again!

Lee, two weeks ago I slipped on a set of AFR 205 heads with 59cc chambers...with .045 gaskets I'm at 11.9 SCR.

Right at the magic 8.7 number you calculated so long ago! Wow does the car feel different. Tune is not so different so far...took a degree of timing out all over, need to take out another around torque peak so far, and fueling seems the same believe it or not. Haven't hit the track yet for long periods of wot yet.

Hope you are well buddy. Missed you at the mod party.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ut-or-not.html

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-14-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Found some great information on why DCR matters for those interested.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/advanc...-pump-gas.html

Originally Posted by J-Rod
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

Dynamic Compression Ratio
(Will my engine run on pump gas?)

Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR) is an important concept in high performance engines. Determining what the compression ratio is after the intake valve closes provides valuable information about how the engine will perform with a particular cam and octane.

Definition: The Compression Ratio (CR) of an engine is the ratio of the cylinder volume compared to the combustion chamber volume. A cylinder with 10 units of volume (called the sweep volume) and a chamber with a volume of 1 has a 10:1 compression ratio. Static Compression Ratio (SCR) is the ratio most commonly referred to. It is derived from the sweep volume of the cylinder using the full crank stroke (BDC to TDC). Dynamic Compression Ratio, on the other hand, uses the position of the piston at intake valve closing rather than BDC of the crank stroke to determine the sweep volume of the cylinder.

The difference between the two can be substantial. For example, with a cam that closes the intake valve at 70º ABDC, the piston has risen 0.9053" from BDC in a stock rod 350 at the intake closing point. This decreases the sweep volume of the cylinder considerably, reducing the stroke length by almost an inch. Thereby reducing the compression ratio. This is the only difference between calculating the SCR and the DCR. All other values used in calculating the CR are the same. Note that the DCR is always lower than the SCR.

Dynamic compression ratio should not to be confused with cylinder pressure. Cylinder pressures change almost continuously due to many factors including RPM, intake manifold design, head port volume and efficiency, overlap, exhaust design, valve timing, throttle position, and a number of other factors. DCR is derived from measured or calculated values that are the actual dimensions of the engine. Therefore, unless variable cam timing is used, just like the static compression ratio, the Dynamic Compression Ratio, is fixed when the engine is built and never changes during the operation of the engine.

Two important points to remember:

The DCR is always lower than the SCR
The DCR does not change at any time during the operation of the engine

Determining seat timing: Since the early days of the internal combustion gasoline engine, engineers have known that the Otto four stroke engine is compression limited and that the quality of the fuel used determines the CR at which the engine could operate. However, it is not the Static CR but the actual running CR of the engine that is important. Compression of the air/fuel mixture cannot start while the intake valve is open. It may start slightly before the intake valve is fully seated. However, there is no easy way to determine this point so using the advertised duration number provided by the cam manufacture is the next best thing. Most cam grinders use .006" of tappet lift (hydraulic cam), although some use other values, with .004" being a common one. This duration is often referred to as the "seat timing". We will used advertised duration for calculating the DCR.

The special case of solid lifter cams. Solid cams are usually speced at an abitrary lift value (often .015" or .020") determined by the designer to be a good approximation of the cam's profile. This lift spec is not always correct for a particular cam. The correct lift point to determine the seat to seat timing of the cam is: Lash / rocker ratio + .004". This accounts for the lash. A cam with a .026" lash (given 1.5 rockers) should be measured at .02133" (.026/1.5+.004= .02133>"). This cam lash, with seat timing speced at .020", is actually a bit smaller than advertised since the valve has yet to actually lift off the seat. How much is the question (.024" lash is the only lash that is correct at .020" with 1.5 rockers). Without knowing the ramp rate, and doing some calculations, or measuring with a degree wheel, it is impossible to know. Again, we have to use the mfg's numbers. Here is some Chevy factory cam help.

Why it matters: A 355 engine with a 9:1 static CR using a 252 cam (110 LSA, 106 ICL) has an intake closing point of 52º ABDC and produces a running CR (DCR) of 7.93. The same 9:1 355 engine with a 292 cam (having an intake closing point of 72º ABDC) has a DCR of 6.87, over a full ratio lower. It appears that most gas engines make the best power with a DCR between 7.5 and 8.5 on 91 or better octane. The larger cam's DCR falls outside this range. It would have markedly less torque at lower RPM primarily due to low cylinder pressures, and a substantial amount of reversion back into the intake track. Higher RPM power would be down also since the engine would not be able to fully utilize the extra A/F mixture provided by the ramming effect of the late intake closing. To bring the 292 cam's DCR up to the 7.5 to 8.5:1 desirable for a street engine, the static CR needs to be raised to around 10:1 to 11.25:1. Race engines, using high octane race gas, can tolerate higher DCR's with 8.8:1 to 9:1 a good DCR to shoot for. The static CR needed to reach 9:1 DCR, for the 292 cam mentioned above, is around 12:1.
This lowering of the compression ratio, due to the late closing of the intake valve, is the primary reason cam manufactures specify a higher static compression ratio for their larger cams: to get the running or dynamic CR into the proper range.

Caveats: Running an engine at the upper limit of the DCR range requires that the engine be well built, with the correct quench distance, and kept cool (170º). Hot intake air and hot coolant are an inducement to detonation. If you anticipate hot conditions, pulling some timing out might be needed. A good cooling system is wise. Staying below 8.25 DCR is probably best for trouble free motoring.

>>Unless you have actually measured the engine (CCed the chambers and pistons in the bores), these calculations are estimations, at best. Treat them as such. The published volumes for heads and pistons can, and do, vary (crankshafts and rods, too). It is best to err on the low side. When contemplating an engine of around 8.4 DCR or higher, measurments are essential, or you could be building another motor.<<

Details: Long duration cams delay the closing of the intake valve and substantially reduce the running compression ratio of an engine compared to the SCR. The cam spec we are interested in to determine the DCR is the intake closing time (or angle) in degrees. This is determined by the duration of the intake lobe, and the installed Intake CenterLine (ICL) (and indirectly by the Lobe Separation Angle (LSA)). Of these, the builder has direct control of the ICL. The others are ground into the camshaft by the grinder (custom grinds are available so the builder could specify the duration and LSA). Changing the ICL changes the DCR. Retarding the cam delays intake closing and decreases the DCR. Advancing the cam causes the intake valve to close earlier (while the pistons is lower in the cylinder, increasing the sweep volume) which increases the DCR. This can be used to manipulate the DCR as well as moving the torque peak up or down the rpm range.

It is necessary to determine the position of the piston at intake valve closing to calculate the DCR. This can be calculated or measured (using a dial indicator and degree wheel). Since compression cannot start until the intake valve is closed, it is necessary to use seat times when calculating the DCR. Using .050" timing will give an incorrect answer since the cylinder is not sealed. At .050" tappet lift, using 1.5 rockers, the valve is still off the seat .075" and .085" with 1.7 rockers. While the flow is nearing zero at this point, compression cannot start until the cylinder is sealed.

Another factor that influences DCR is rod length. It's length determines the piston location at intake closing, different rod lengths change the DCR. Longer rods position the piston slightly higher in the cylinder at intake closing. This decreases the DCR, possibility necessitating a different cam profile than a shorter rod would require. However, the effect is slight and might only be a major factor if the rod is substantially different than stock. Still it needs to be taken into account when calculating the DCR.

Calculating DCR: Calculating the DCR requires some basic information and several calculations. First off, the remaining stroke after the intake closes must be determined. This takes three inputs: intake valve closing point, rod length, and the actual crank stroke, plus a little trig. Here are the formulas: (See the bottom of the page for a way around doing all this math.)

Variables used:

RD = Rod horizontal Displacement in inches
ICA = advertised Intake Closing timing (Angle) in degrees ABDC
RR = Rod Distance in inches below crank CL
RL = Rod Length
PR1 = Piston Rise from RR in inches on crank CL.
PR2 = Piston Rise from crank CL
ST = STroke
1/2ST = one half the STroke
DST = Dynamic STroke length to use for DCR calcs
What's going on: First we need to find some of the above variables. We need to calculate RD and RR. Then, using these number, we find PR1 and PR2. Finally, we plug these number into a formula to find the Dynamic Stroke (DST).
Calcs:

RD = 1/2ST * (sine ICA)
RR = 1/2ST * (cosine ICA)
PR1 = sq root of ((RL*RL) - (RD*RD))
PR2 = PR1 - RR
DST = ST - ((PR2 + 1/2ST) - RL)
This result is what I call the Dynamic Stroke (DST), the distance remaining to TDC after the intake valve closes. This is the critical dimension needed to determine the Dynamic Compression Ratio. After calculating the DST, this dimension is used in place of the crankshaft stroke length for calculating the DCR. Most any CR calculator will work. Just enter the DST as the stroke and the result is the Dynamic CR. Of course, the more accurate the entries are the more accurate the results will be.
Using this information: DCR is only a tool, among others, that a builder has available. It is not the "end all" in cam or CR selection. However, the information provided is very useful for helping to match a cam to an engine or an engine to a cam. It is still necessary to match all the components in an engine and chassis for the best performance possible. Pairing a 305º cam with milled 882 heads just won't cut it even if the DCR is correct. The heads will never support the RPM capabilities of the cam.

A good approach when building an engine is to determine the duration and LSA needed for the desired RPM range. Once this is know, manipulate the chamber size and piston valve reliefs (and sometimes the cam advance) to provide a DCR around 8.2:1. Now that the correct piston volume and chamber size is know, enter the actual crankshaft stroke in your CR calculator to see what static CR to build to. Often the needed SCR is higher that you would expect. Note: The quench distance (piston/head clearance) should always be set between .035" and .045" with the lower limit giving the best performance and detonation resistance.

Alternatively, with the SCR known, manipulate the cam specs until a desirable DCR is found. When the best intake closing time is derived, look for a cam with that intake closing timing, that provides the other attributes desired (LSA and duration). Often times the best cam is smaller than one might expect. Sometimes a CR change is needed to run a cam with the desired attributes.

The information given here should be used as a guideline only. There are no hard and fast rules. It is up to you, the engine builder, to determine the correct build of your engine. And remember, unless accurate measurements are taken, these calculations are approximations.

Here is a link to a discussion in which Jim McFarland discusses some issues regarding compression ratios and combustion problems.

http://www.n2performance.com/cgi-bin...=54&amp;SID=96

Here is an article on High Compression by David Vizard
http://www.motortecmag.com/archives/...JUN010101.html

I hope you find this information helpful and useful,

Pat Kelley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Automation, ain't it great: I have written a Visual Basic program to automate the calculations. It includes the Dynamic Stroke Length Calculator, plus a Valve Timing Calculator (to determine the intake closing point from the advertised duration), and a Compression Ratio Calculator.
There are two version. The larger file contains the required Visual Basic 6 runtime files. If you don't have these files on your system, this is the one to download. It will install these files for you. These runtime files do not come with any version of Windows and can be downloaded from Microsoft's site, if you prefer. If you have the VB6 runtimes, download the smaller file. It does not have the runtimes. If you have successfully run VB6 programs before, you have these files. If you have never ran a VB6 program before, you need the larger version. Un-Zip with your favorite archive program and run "setup.exe". This will install the program and register it with Windows. These files were compressed using WinZip 7.0. You can download a free demo copy of WinZip at www.winzip.com. If you have any problems, email me (my address is on the Home page http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/index.html ) and I will try to help. You can take a look the the

DCR FAQ's, the answer to your question could be here. http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DCR_FAQ.html

DCR Calculator with VB6 Runtime files 1.55 MB
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/dcrvb6.zip

DCR Calculator without VB6 Runtime files 423 KB
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/dcr.zip

*A note to users outside the United States.* The DCR Calculator was written with the Regional Setting of Windows set to the "English (United States)" setting. To run properly, you may need to change the Regional Setting of your Windows operating system to "English (United States)". This is due to the way various regions use the "," and "." place and decimal separators (there may be other factors I'm not aware of, also). After running the DCR Calculator, you should return the setting to your original region settings to insure the proper operation of your system. The Regional Setting applet should be located in Control Panel.

Home
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/index.html

I have received several request regarding what is the best DCR for lower octane fuels. At this time, I don't know. If you are running 87 or 89 octane successfully and know what your DCR is, I'd be interested in hearing from you (email address is on my home page). This would help those that want the best performance on lower octanes for drivers and tow vehicles.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Nexus9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default money on the table...?

Hey Kid,

Great info. In the Harley building world (where I come from) we commonly start a cam choice with IVC, which has a huge effect on shaping the torque curve in a motor. I was surprised when I started working on my LS3 that nobody seems to talk much about IVC in the car world, and dynamic compression (or what we call "cold cranking pressure") seems largely ignored.
One thought about your observation regarding a baseline corrected (or "dynamic", as you say) compression ratio: at 8.7:1, (if my math is right), you would be generating a ccp of about 177 psi in a liquid cooled engine with high tech spark management. My experience is that 93 octane gas should be fairly manageable in a clean engine up to about 190 psi ccp, which equates to a 9.2:1 dynamic comp ratio. I'm wondering if we might be leaving a little "money on the table" at 8.7... Your thoughts?

Jon
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

This is a pretty amazing thread but wow, a lot of it is over my head.

Taking what I've learned from reading, I'm trying to figure out my current DCR and what is needed to get to the optimal 8.7 DCR as recommended.

Looking at the spreadsheet, do I need to change the stroke or rod length? My car is an LS3 and not an LS2.

Also, looking at my cam doctor report for the cam in my car, I see 46.82 as the ABDC measurement at .050 lift. Is that the correct number to use for Theta? If so, my DCR is not even on the chart How do I fix that? I was going to try to adjust the cells in the spreadsheet to get back to a 46 Theta but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. If it is, that puts my current SCR at something like 9.8:1, could that be correct? I know I would have lost compression due to the new overlap of my cam, but I didn't think I'd lose that much.

Any help is appreciated. Attached is my cam doctor sheet.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinjor
This is a pretty amazing thread but wow, a lot of it is over my head.

Taking what I've learned from reading, I'm trying to figure out my current DCR and what is needed to get to the optimal 8.7 DCR as recommended.

Looking at the spreadsheet, do I need to change the stroke or rod length? My car is an LS3 and not an LS2.

Also, looking at my cam doctor report for the cam in my car, I see 46.82 as the ABDC measurement at .050 lift. Is that the correct number to use for Theta? If so, my DCR is not even on the chart How do I fix that? I was going to try to adjust the cells in the spreadsheet to get back to a 46 Theta but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. If it is, that puts my current SCR at something like 9.8:1, could that be correct? I know I would have lost compression due to the new overlap of my cam, but I didn't think I'd lose that much.

Any help is appreciated. Attached is my cam doctor sheet.

On the top right of the chart is says the Theta # is based on .004" of lift. The number you are using is .050" of lift.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I don't have the .004" measurement so I guess I'll have to use the .006 which gives me 72.40?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Also, the chart lists rod length at an even 6" but I thought the LS3 rods were 6.098, just like the LS1. That should have an impact on the calculation I would think.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

It has been a while since I revisited this topic, but Joe_G is a big fan and keeps bringing it back to life.

Both of the posts - #25 and #28 on page 2 above - with links to the live version of the spreadsheet are still active as of today - March 23, 2012 - so please go ahead and download a copy for your personal use and put in your stroke and rod length to four significant figures, and make any other changes you deem necessary. Happy figurin' !

Please remember that at a DCR of 8.7 on 93 octane pump gas you are getting close to the RAGGED EDGE, and if you stretch your head bolts and blow some gaskets, or melt some nice holes in your stock cast aluminum pistons, that was YOUR decision, not mine. When you start modifying your car to this extreme, you become your OWN warranty department.

If you have any specific questions for me, use the PM function, and I will try to answer, or tell you if I don't have the info or data to answer your inquiry.

- Lee
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

^^ Lee you should take my car for a spin. The heads and additional compression made a big difference. More than the .18 and 1.3 mph would indicate from the quarter mile (that 10.81 run was with a broken transmission).
Old 02-23-2022, 09:20 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here I am to revive a 10year old thread 😁

I've been looking at this excel sheet trying to adapt for LS3. I input the stroke and rod length, and assume things like bore and combustion chamber are automatically accounted for in the static compression ratio. Summit's cam calculator with "stock LS3 cam" specs of 204/211 117, show a closure at 39° ABDC. This gives me a DCR of 9.9:1. Surely this isn't right. What am I missing?

Reason I'm interested is for calculating DCR with Spins cam. I keep getting crazy high DCR values. According to summit, spins spec should close 49° ABDC
Plz help 😁
Old 02-24-2022, 12:35 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
Here I am to revive a 10year old thread 😁

I've been looking at this excel sheet trying to adapt for LS3. I input the stroke and rod length, and assume things like bore and combustion chamber are automatically accounted for in the static compression ratio. Summit's cam calculator with "stock LS3 cam" specs of 204/211 117, show a closure at 39° ABDC. This gives me a DCR of 9.9:1. Surely this isn't right. What am I missing?

Reason I'm interested is for calculating DCR with Spins cam. I keep getting crazy high DCR values. According to summit, spins spec should close 49° ABDC
Plz help 😁
The calculator I use requires "advertised" duration (measured at .006 lift) to arrive at your engine's DCR. Spin's cam initially was ground by Comp on different lobe styles for the intake and exhaust. I know Tx Speed will grind it and probably Cam Motion too. If it's ground by Cam Motion, I can figure it for you as I know to add 54* to duration at .050 lift to get to duration at .006. That duration at .006 info is also available from Comp if you know the lobe styles and want to do some digging. I have no idea how to get from .050 duration to .006 duration using Tx Speed lobes.

I use this calculator Jeep Strokers - Dynamic\Static Compression Ratio Calculator. It's the first one I learned how to use....so I still use it. I've had Pat G spec several cams for me. He includes the DCR with his cam specs. His DCR numbers agree with the numbers I get using this calculator.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:50 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
The calculator I use requires "advertised" duration (measured at .006 lift) to arrive at your engine's DCR. Spin's cam initially was ground by Comp on different lobe styles for the intake and exhaust. I know Tx Speed will grind it and probably Cam Motion too. If it's ground by Cam Motion, I can figure it for you as I know to add 54* to duration at .050 lift to get to duration at .006. That duration at .006 info is also available from Comp if you know the lobe styles and want to do some digging. I have no idea how to get from .050 duration to .006 duration using Tx Speed lobes.

I use this calculator Jeep Strokers - Dynamic\Static Compression Ratio Calculator. It's the first one I learned how to use....so I still use it. I've had Pat G spec several cams for me. He includes the DCR with his cam specs. His DCR numbers agree with the numbers I get using this calculator.

Thanks! Cam motion supplied me with what the advertised duration would be. I'm almost assuredly gonna go through them. My experience with TSP so far has been "use our cam, Spinmonster doesn't work" instead of them actually answering the questions I ask. I'll check out that calculator.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:37 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
Thanks! Cam motion supplied me with what the advertised duration would be. I'm almost assuredly gonna go through them. My experience with TSP so far has been "use our cam, Spinmonster doesn't work" instead of them actually answering the questions I ask. I'll check out that calculator.
I'm running a couple of Cam Motion cams now. Lots of miles and smiles with no valve train troubles. My LS3's cam in my Vette has .620 lift on both sides. Stock rocker arms and BTR springs were changed at 30K+ miles. It all looked perfect. I'm a fan of Cam Motion's stuff.

So, is advertised duration 284 on the intake for Spin's cam built by Cam Motion?
Old 02-24-2022, 07:42 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I'm running a couple of Cam Motion cams now. Lots of miles and smiles with no valve train troubles. My LS3's cam in my Vette has .620 lift on both sides. Stock rocker arms and BTR springs were changed at 30K+ miles. It all looked perfect. I'm a fan of Cam Motion's stuff.

So, is advertised duration 284 on the intake for Spin's cam built by Cam Motion?

​​​​​​Right on the money. 284 is exactly what they told me. Ive read a lot of good things about Cam Motion lobes so I'm excited to hopefully place an order Monday, either for a Spin spec or for their Titan 3. Just debating between the two. The valve events are very similar between the two so I don't know that I'd see much difference aside from two extra degrees of overlap

Last edited by kjcmusic17; 02-24-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dynamic Compression Ratio CHART

Old 02-24-2022, 11:38 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Spin's specs ground by Cam Motion in a stock LS3 would set the DCR around 7.9:1. Titan 3 would be around 8.1:1. Titan 3 would definitely have a rougher idle due to the higher overlap and, to a lesser degree, the higher DCR. Manners would probably suffer a little too. Titan 3 would probably have the edge down low with similar top ends. That's my WAG after watching 3 Yellowstone reruns. I wonder how they get away with killing all those bad guys....
The following users liked this post:
kjcmusic17 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 11:54 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Cool, that's right about what I'm calculating as well. Thank you for your input! Against my better judgement, I think I'm going to go with the Titan 3 for the down low advantage, increased exhaust duration, and higher DCR. I plan on using a thinner head gasket and milling the heads to get the DCR closer to 8.5:1.

Quick question: the calculator reference above asks for cam advance in crank degrees. Is groundhog advance typically listed in cam or crank degrees? Google didn't yield the answer to me 😪

Also, Yellowstone is a popular show in my household!
The following users liked this post:
old motorhead (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 10:12 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

You might check with Cam Motion on the head milling/thinner head gasket. They ought to have a clue as to what is safe. I think the limiting point dealing with PTV issues is on the exhaust side when you have a cam with mild intake duration along with a fairly big split. My cam has a little less duration on the exhaust with more lift. It is fine with a .010 mill and .011 thinner head gasket. Upped my static to around 11.2 and dynamic to around 8.45. You lose about 1.5 cc of head chamber volume for every 10 thou of milling. If you have a valve job done to your heads while they are off, the valves are "sunk" in the heads a little which helps with PTV clearance.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Compression Ratio CHART