C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check if the frame got damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
suzuki_gixxer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check if the frame got damaged?

I am looking for the measurments and measurement points for how to check the straigthness of my frame/chassi after a (smaller ) damaged on a track day.

Please post in mm if possible.

Pictures are preffered as well..
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by suzuki_gixxer
I am looking for the measurments and measurement points for how to check the straigthness of my frame/chassi after a (smaller ) damaged on a track day.

Please post in mm if possible.

Pictures are preffered as well..
Having demolished the front end of my track car, let me give you some hard earned advice:

Take it to a body shop that has the newest computer / laser frame straightener and have them check it out.

These new machines have all the appropriate points programmed into the computer. They will attach your car to the rack and then touch various points on your frame. The computer will be able to tell you what your frame is compared to ideal.

It might cost you $100 bucks, but then you will definately know.

FYI, my front end was pushed up by more than 2" and to the left almost three. However, just by "eyeballing" it, I never would have guessed it was that bad. Fortunately with this technology and a superb frame technician, my car was repaired to less than 1mm of perfect which is probably better than when it left the factory.

From this:

To this:

Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking repair job!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 AM
suzuki_gixxer
Heel & Toe

Yes, I would love to take it to someone that can put it in a rack and have it checked by laser.

Problem is there are no one in my area that have the programs for Corvette not even the distributor or GM.

Therefore I am was wondering if some one has the measurments and points, so that I could pre-check it.

Only good thing with crashing is that the result afterwards always seems to be better..

Nice JOB!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good shop that has a collision tech that knows what they are doing can do a couple quick measurements without even having any specs.

You do diagonal measurements (imagine drawing a big X) in the engine compartment, frame mid section, and rear. It's just like checking if a deck is square if you've ever bult a deck. The two diagonal measurements should be the same.

Also have them look in a 2005 Vette Service Manual it gives diagonal measurements in the engine compartment, door jambs, and width of front frame rails. How well the hood, doors, and rear hatch fit are also real good indicators. If the hood, doors, and rear hatch all have the same good fit and gaps, do a four wheel aligment - measure each side's wheel base. If it aligns easy with minimal adjustments... it should be fine.

A bent frame is generally pretty easy to see, especially on a collision repair rack. You just do measurements to frame points from the rack if one side is out of whack it shows pretty easy.

You really only need all the specs if your pullling out damage. If it's just checking if it's still square, just throw it on the rack and start measuring. Sure the lasers and specs all help, but if it's really out of whack it will show up with much cruder measurements.

Last edited by Michrider; 09-16-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Check if the frame got damaged?

Quick Reply: Check if the frame got damaged?