C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my Spec clutch sticking to the floor ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:45 PM
z0sicks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my Spec clutch sticking to the floor ?

Just put in a Spec 3plus single disc and when racing or shifting real fast it will stick to the floor between shifts and then pop back up.

My car is an 07 Z06 that makes 530rwhp.

any help ? Fluid was just changed also.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
red06c6hm
Instructor

If you overheat the fluid, ANY TIME, it will stick to the floor, and will need to be changed out again. I slid the clutch too long on a start today myself, and the clutch stayed on the floor. It was fine the rest of the day, but when I came home and looked at the fluid, it wasn't clear anymore, was dark again. So more work for me.... My guess is your fluid is cooked, and your driving is the cause.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Considering the mechanics of a pressure plate/clutch assembly, I am still at a loss to figure out how the hell the clutch fluid condition can affect the pedal staying down. Somewhere in there is a **** poor design. The C6 is the only car I have ever owned that had/has this particular issue. Can anyone explain the mechanics of why the pedal sticks? I mean the pressure plate still pushed back out, is the fluid so poor that it loses is compressability?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
z0sicks
Pro

My clutch fluid was just changed,driven about 10 miles and then I got on it and it stuck to the floor a few times ???
Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Cerino:

Actually, I've had this happen on the first year G35 coupe, and I was shocked (relatively torquey car but no 400+ lb. ft. of torque!!!). Had never had it happen before on any man trans car, and I've owned quite a few. Nor has it happened yet, on the C6.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

One thing to try since it's cheap and easy is to reduce clutch throw. My stock '05 used to have this problem, but never again in 4 years. Now when my fluid is cooked, the clutch is not as smooth, but doesn't get hung up anymore.

Here's how I did it with a 50 cent window track lock:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...00/ppuser/6747

This gizmo clamps backwards onto the clutch arm 'nubbin' that engages the floor cut out switch. Now the head of the track lock bolt sticks out about a 1/2 inch closer to the switch, effectively reducing clutch throw.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
z0sicks
Pro

Originally Posted by Hoonose
One thing to try since it's cheap and easy is to reduce clutch throw. My stock '05 used to have this problem, but never again in 4 years. Now when my fluid is cooked, the clutch is not as smooth, but doesn't get hung up anymore.

Here's how I did it with a 50 cent window track lock:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...00/ppuser/6747

This gizmo clamps backwards onto the clutch arm 'nubbin' that engages the floor cut out switch. Now the head of the track lock bolt sticks out about a 1/2 inch closer to the switch, effectively reducing clutch throw.
So this makes it so the clutch can't depress all the way ? And if it can't go the the floor, it can't stick to the floor ?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicks
So this makes it so the clutch can't depress all the way ? And if it can't go the the floor, it can't stick to the floor ?
actually, i believe the intent is to keep it from going overcenter.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig
actually, i believe the intent is to keep it from going overcenter.
That's it.
It also tends to let the clutch engage sooner 'off the floor', instead of way back in never land.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Considering the mechanics of a pressure plate/clutch assembly, I am still at a loss to figure out how the hell the clutch fluid condition can affect the pedal staying down. Somewhere in there is a **** poor design. The C6 is the only car I have ever owned that had/has this particular issue. Can anyone explain the mechanics of why the pedal sticks? I mean the pressure plate still pushed back out, is the fluid so poor that it loses is compressability?
I am aware of the posts caused by a correlation that lead a member to push the idea of the fluid being responsible for the pedal sticking issue (I change my fluid and it doesnt stick doesnt mean the fluid chage prevented the problem). Proof of this is simple: people with a sticking pedal who change fluid still get the dead pedal.....it doesnt fix the problem. Heated or discolored fluid doesnt cause the fluid to not be a fluid which doesnt compress. If the volume of a fluid in a line is constant, the pedal will operate hot or not.

The pedal sticks to the floor only when the disc super heats. That then heats the pressure plate/springs making them less effective until it cools down a few seconds later. Slipping a clutch heats the disc. Hard shifts cause heat because its again slipping. More clamping power = less slippage and less prone to the dead pedal because the springs are stronger with a different heat weakening threshold for a dead pedal.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I am aware of the posts caused by a correlation that lead a member to push the idea of the fluid being responsible for the pedal sticking issue (I change my fluid and it doesnt stick doesnt mean the fluid chage prevented the problem). Proof of this is simple: people with a sticking pedal who change fluid still get the dead pedal.....it doesnt fix the problem. Heated or discolored fluid doesnt cause the fluid to not be a fluid which doesnt compress. If the volume of a fluid in a line is constant, the pedal will operate hot or not.

The pedal sticks to the floor only when the disc super heats. That then heats the pressure plate/springs making them less effective until it cools down a few seconds later. Slipping a clutch heats the disc. Hard shifts cause heat because its again slipping. More clamping power = less slippage and less prone to the dead pedal because the springs are stronger with a different heat weakening threshold for a dead pedal.
yeah, what he said.

imo, there are a multitude of potentials that will cause the pedal to remain on the floor.

imo, i would look at: the 'adjustment', then clamping strength, then (internal) return strength (spring/fingers,etc.). this assumes () the fluid is fresh and full.

which spec did you get? what is it rated at?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 AM
z0sicks
Pro

Originally Posted by Zig
yeah, what he said.

imo, there are a multitude of potentials that will cause the pedal to remain on the floor.

imo, i would look at: the 'adjustment', then clamping strength, then (internal) return strength (spring/fingers,etc.). this assumes () the fluid is fresh and full.

which spec did you get? what is it rated at?
It is a single disc 3 plus
Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z0sicks
It is a single disc 3 plus
sorry about that, i was, more-or-less, referring to the part no.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is my Spec clutch sticking to the floor ?

Quick Reply: Why is my Spec clutch sticking to the floor ?