C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation kit or DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
The main reason I did mine frankly is that heat is killing my batteries.

The fact is that even with coating, headers cook everything nearby including the battery electrolyte. I had the third and most recent dead battery tested (a 850CCA Exide Orbital Select) and the three cells forming the corner of the battery facing the engine were almost totally dead. The corner cell on the opposite end was 95%.

I could have constructed some sort of a ducted enclosure, but it was just easier to use the rear compartment since the battery just drops right in.

I'll be curious to see how Tavarez does with the Braille battery.
I have a 06 coupe with uncoated LG headers and Im still on my original battery. I dont see how you can be cooking batteries like that.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

As heavy as a battery is, I would be concerned about whether the rear compartment floor will support the weight without a frame member under it. The Z06 battery is on the right and I think there is an extension from the frame to support the weight. Not so sure that the left side is designed for the added weight.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:45 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
As heavy as a battery is, I would be concerned about whether the rear compartment floor will support the weight without a frame member under it. The Z06 battery is on the right and I think there is an extension from the frame to support the weight. Not so sure that the left side is designed for the added weight.
The same bracket exists on the left side, and in the Coupe's case, they are both steel, crimped like an I-beam. If it were Al as on the Z, I might worry, but not with 2mm thick steel. Believe me, there is more than enough strength there.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
I have a 06 coupe with uncoated LG headers and Im still on my original battery. I dont see how you can be cooking batteries like that.
Wish I knew. The original Delco went about a year, the first Exide failed in 11 mos, and the latest one 12 months. Exide doesn't get very good reviews, so maybe it is a poor battery, but there is no doubt the cells closest to the heat were dead and the others were OK. I do drive the car very hard, almost race-like conditions, so there is more heat there.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Yep 2 FDs, 2 Turbo IIs, and a '85 GSL-SE with the 13B, my first car out of college.
Awesome!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Originally Posted by Tavarez
I'm interested in moving my battery from the front engine area to the rear passenger compartment much like a Z06. What would it take, any kits, or any write ups on this yet? I'm also curious if this would really help in weight distribution, considering I will also purchase a very light weight battery. Braille 6-11.5-15pounder...
I just finished installing a Braille (15 pound) battery in my o8. A little more time consuming than I thought. The small Braille Battery fit perfectly in the smaller rear compartment. I did not have to re-locate any of the electronics in that compartment. I purchased a good quality 4 guage wire from Boat Owners Wharehouse. I did not have to drill any holes in the fire wall or any other location. I found some wires under the rear carpet and threaded the new battery cable through those openings ( no new holes needed). I then traced these wires to the engine compartment and through the allready made hole in the firewall. All the new cable is in the car and tucked under the passenger side carpet. This is the exact location that GM ran their wires from the engine to the rear of the car. The only holes that had to be drilled was for the battery hold down bracket which was supplied with the Braille Battery. Very neat installation and nothing exposed to the elements. The high quality marine grade 4 guage wire is all that is needed. I used approx 13 feet of red and 13 feet of black. I would guestamate the weight of the cable to be about 5 pounds. I hope this helps anyone attempting to relocate there battery. The reason I chose the Braille battery is because if the small size. If you own any year C6 other than the 08...you could use almost any battery. But the 08 has some extra stuff in that compartment for on-star making it almost imposible to install a full size battery. The compete install took about 4 hours.

Last edited by theofel; 09-23-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theofel
I just finished installing a Braille (15 pound) battery in my o8. A little more time consuming than I thought. The small Braille Battery fit perfectly in the smaller rear compartment. I did not have to re-locate any of the electronics in that compartment. I purchased a good quality 4 guage wire from Boat Owners Wharehouse. I did not have to drill any holes in the fire wall or any other location. I found some wires under the rear carpet and threaded the new battery cable through those openings ( no new holes needed). I then traced these wires to the engine compartment and through the allready made hole in the firewall. All the new cable is in the car and tucked under the passenger side carpet. This is the exact location that GM ran their wires from the engine to the rear of the car. The only holes that had to be drilled was for the battery hold down bracket which was supplied with the Braille Battery. Very neat installation and nothing exposed to the elements. The high quality marine grade 4 guage wire is all that is needed. I used approx 13 feet of red and 13 feet of black. I would guestamate the weight of the cable to be about 5 pounds. I hope this helps anyone attempting to relocate there battery. The reason I chose the Braille battery is because if the small size. If you own any year C6 other than the 08...you could use almost any battery. But the 08 has some extra stuff in that compartment for on-star making it almost imposible to install a full size battery. The compete install took about 4 hours.
nice
Old 05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI: Just bought 25 ft of 1 gauge welding cable. It's 7.8 lbs & I only plan on using about 20 ft. of it in total. The cost was $55 + tx & connectors.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation kit or DIY