C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does modding affect resale value of your c6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default does modding affect resale value of your c6 ?

I really like modding my vette. Every mod I did from CAI to CATBACKS
to LT HEADERS to PORTED TB & FAST and finally 4.10 Gears. This is a bolt on car and I can revert it back to stock in 1 day if I choose to do so. Would the car be worth nore with these mods on considering how it
runs or will it be worth less because it is modded. Im dying and the car is crying out for a cam. I love the sound of a cam nothing beats it but Something tells me if I put the cam in the car will be worth less. Whats wrong with this logic having a 07 and seeing what ls3's are doing especially when modding. ??
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
to LT HEADERS to PORTED TB & FAST and finally 4.10 Gears. This is a bolt on car and I can revert it back to stock in 1 day if I choose to do so. Would the car be worth nore with these mods on considering how it
runs or will it be worth less because it is modded. Im dying and the car is crying out for a cam. I love the sound of a cam nothing beats it but Something tells me if I put the cam in the car will be worth less. Whats wrong with this logic having a 07 and seeing what ls3's are doing especially when modding. ??
You mod for yourself and because You want to, and for no other reason. People will always assume modded cars were abused, and offer less for them, and rightfully so. You can expect to make stock value on a highly modded car or maybe a very small percentage over stock if you had an absolutely incredible amount of money put into the mods.
The only exception to this are big name tuners like lingenfelter, Henessey, etc. Their cars will net a slightly higher fraction of what they orginally cost, but in the end, you will always lose money by modding.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
Leon,

I mod not because of resale value, but the thrill of power gained and just plain good old fun. It really depends on the mod. Appearance mods generally enhance sales, where as a very radical cam might be quite offensive to most. I had a young man of 18 ask me if there was something wrong with my cammed engine couple of months ago?

In the end one has to weigh long terms goals, I will keep my C6 for a few more years, therefore I am not worried about modding radically. If you plan to trade yours in couple of years and looking to get back book value or slightly higher, then I would strongly recommend against radical mods.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

hi Leon, i think modding decreases the value too a larger market, but there will be a small percentage of the market that will gladly pay an increase. and even a smaller amount of the market with time slips to back it up, if good enough some would pay way more
Old 08-15-2008, 11:10 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
hi Leon, i think modding decreases the value too a larger market, but there will be a small percentage of the market that will gladly pay an increase. and even a smaller amount of the market with time slips to back it up, if good enough some would pay way more
But you always make the car into what you want but you just can't worry about resale.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:02 AM
BAADC6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by welcome2try
Leon,

I mod not because of resale value, but the thrill of power gained and just plain good old fun. It really depends on the mod. Appearance mods generally enhance sales, where as a very radical cam might be quite offensive to most. I had a young man of 18 ask me if there was something wrong with my cammed engine couple of months ago?

In the end one has to weigh long terms goals, I will keep my C6 for a few more years, therefore I am not worried about modding radically. If you plan to trade yours in couple of years and looking to get back book value or slightly higher, then I would strongly recommend against radical mods.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
BAADC6
Pro

Originally Posted by saplumr
But you always make the car into what you want but you just can't worry about resale.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:08 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I couldnt sell mine for book value and it has 14k miles on it.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:16 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold a modded Z28 to a friend for what it was worth without the mods. He knew my mechanical abilities so he wasn't afraid of the mods (bolt on LS1 with a 224R TSP cam). My experience is that a modded car has lower resale value than a stock car because people are rightfully scared of them.

However, I've kept all my stock items on my bolt-on C6 and I'll go back to stock if I sell the car. (notice I said "if" because I'm probably going to keep this car until I die). My reasoning is that a modded car is always harder to sell plus it still amazes me what people will pay for used headers and inlets.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree with the posts above. There is a strong chance you'll lose value and have trouble finding a buyer. But there are exceptions - you just can't count on whether or not you will be one of the exceptions.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:07 AM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default WOW some interesting points of view here.

Originally Posted by welcome2try
Leon,

Powerlabs you hit the nail on the head. Who are the mods for. FOR ME.
If I kept waiting for GM to come out with something better I would never buy one wondering what they will come with next. LS3 etc

Dennis I believe you would get a premium for your car because of the
NOTARIETY of a special car that has a record of performance that no
others have yet to attain. A CF member perhaps selling a c5 then looking for a c6 would find yours particullarly attractive in the FOR SALE
THREADS.

GLENNHL
, You make an interesting point with respect to retaining all stock parts if one day you decide to sell you can revert back to stock and sell the BOLTONS for a pretty good buck and the car will be stock with generally low mileage because I believe most who mod their
engines dont put high mileage on them nor constantly beat them up.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
You mod for yourself and because You want to, and for no other reason. People will always assume modded cars were abused, and offer less for them, and rightfully so. You can expect to make stock value on a highly modded car or maybe a very small percentage over stock if you had an absolutely incredible amount of money put into the mods.
The only exception to this are big name tuners like lingenfelter, Henessey, etc. Their cars will net a slightly higher fraction of what they orginally cost, but in the end, you will always lose money by modding.

Modify a car for your driving enjoyment...don't worry about the next guy.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might just find someone looking for exactly what your car has. Back in 03, I sold my 1995 Mustang GTS with full suspension, big ol brakes, heads/cam/intake, supercharger and every bolt-on available. I think the blue book value was $5K or so and I sold it for twice that. Not really worth but the buyer wanted exactly what my car had. You never know.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Dgatto
Pro

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Old 08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It really depends. If the car has mods most people can live with (catback, headers, CAI)...you may get the same or more. If it has something like a cam...the market for potential buyers goes way down.

I got more for my 07 LS2 car because it had headers, catback, and tune...and the dealer resold it at a slight markup.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 PM
C6roadster
Burning Brakes

Default My Dealer Story...

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
It really depends. If the car has mods most people can live with (catback, headers, CAI)...you may get the same or more. If it has something like a cam...the market for potential buyers goes way down.

I got more for my 07 LS2 car because it had headers, catback, and tune...and the dealer resold it at a slight markup.
Funny, my dealer WOULDN'T TOUCH MY MODDED CAR WITH A 10 FOOT POLE for fear of LIABILITY ISSUES! I had to pay $1100 labor to get the air intake, headers, cats, x-pipe, and mufflers off, rotors, 06 steering wheel, and cray wheels off the car and put ALL THE STOCK PARTS BACK ON FIRST BEFORE THEY WOULD TAKE IT ON A TRADE FOR MY O8. You must be very lucky or be dating or married to the dealer's daughter!
And that's not counting all the other little things like tail lite spears, fender spears, Z06 splash guard moldings behind both the front and rear wheel openings, a Z06 front bumper cover and a raised custom hood! The car looked exception, kicked a$$ at most cars shows and I loved it, but in the end, it all came off. Thats why I saved ALL THE PARTS-I figured, just in case....
My friend, you do what you gotta do in the end but just be aware of all the facts...good luck.

Velcro Sal

Get notified of new replies

To does modding affect resale value of your c6 ?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C6roadster
Funny, my dealer WOULDN'T TOUCH MY MODDED CAR WITH A 10 FOOT POLE for fear of LIABILITY ISSUES! I had to pay $1100 labor to get the air intake, headers, cats, x-pipe, and mufflers off, rotors, 06 steering wheel, and cray wheels off the car and put ALL THE STOCK PARTS BACK ON FIRST BEFORE THEY WOULD TAKE IT ON A TRADE FOR MY O8. You must be very lucky or be dating or married to the dealer's daughter!
And that's not counting all the other little things like tail lite spears, fender spears, Z06 splash guard moldings behind both the front and rear wheel openings, a Z06 front bumper cover and a raised custom hood! The car looked exception, kicked a$$ at most cars shows and I loved it, but in the end, it all came off. Thats why I saved ALL THE PARTS-I figured, just in case....
My friend, you do what you gotta do in the end but just be aware of all the facts...good luck.

Velcro Sal
Damn. These are facts that people don't typically talk about.

So it had a Z06 front fascia on it, and they charged you for taking it off and putting the original one back on?

Good thing it wasn't a total wide body.

Thanks for posting up.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-16-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:23 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I agree with the above posts. I modded because there were things about the car I wanted to make better: more power, better seats, better weight distribution. For a grand total of $58K spent, including the purchase price and mods, I have a C6 that is what a Z06 should have been: 550HP, 3,125lb, race seats, battery in the trunk, and huge, sticky tires. It sounds awesome, and I can go topless whenever I want, which is most of the time. It is a grocery getter and a race car at the same time, and it is exactly the way I want it.

Would I have trouble selling it? Probably. But I had trouble selling my last 2 Corvettes and they were bone stock. None of that matters though, because my car is SO DAMN GOOD, that I have no desire for a new C6 or another sports car for that matter. I had an 06 Z06 and sold it after 6 months because it was just boring compared to my car (had a put-back arrangement with my brother-in-law, so I lost no money on this).

So the way I look at it: I may not get any money for my mods when I sell, but they are saving me money every day, due to the fact I am not tempted to trade my car in (lose $18K in depreciation) and buy another one (another $20K immediately lost to sales tax, title, and depreciation off the lot). Besides, I need that money for my other toys and bad habits...nice cars are unfortunately only one of many expensive hobbies I have.

Last edited by TTRotary; 08-16-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I agree with the above posts. I modded because there were things about the car I wanted to make better: more power, better seats, better weight distribution. For a grand total of $58K spent, including the purchase price and mods, I have a C6 that is what a Z06 should have been: 550HP, 3,125lb, race seats, battery in the trunk, and huge, sticky tires. It sounds awesome, and I can go topless whenever I want, which is most of the time. It is a grocery getter and a race car at the same time, and it is exactly the way I want it.

Would I have trouble selling it? Probably. But I had trouble selling my last 2 Corvettes and they were bone stock. None of that matters though, because my car is SO DAMN GOOD, that I have no desire for a new C6 or another sports car for that matter. I had an 06 Z06 and sold it after 6 months because it was just boring compared to my car (had a put-back arrangement with my brother-in-law, so I lost no money on this).

So the way I look at it: I may not get any money for my mods when I sell, but they are saving me money every day, due to the fact I am not tempted to trade my car in (lose $18K in depreciation) and buy another one (another $20K immediately lost to sales tax, title, and depreciation off the lot).

Well said!

Quick Reply: does modding affect resale value of your c6 ?