C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who have Torque Management disabled

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Those who have Torque Management disabled

Have you had any reliability issues and for those who have what did the dealer say when you took it in?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

no issues with dealer cuz i havent been there. 2/3 tenths off et,car is nasty and u should use care relearning it.dont do it if you are a weekender or have pretty boy tires on the car
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it wan't meant to be disabled, there would not be a button for it. I have it off most of the time...except in rain..
Old 08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmudreamvette
If it wan't meant to be disabled, there would not be a button for it. I have it off most of the time...except in rain..
The OP was talking about Torque Management...that is something a tune can disable.

I have TM disabled on my A6....would like to here long term if anyone had issues with the durability of the trans .
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Purdue
The OP was talking about Torque Management...that is something a tune can disable.

I have TM disabled on my A6....would like to here long term if anyone had issues with the durability of the trans .
might be worth a call to chuck cow. 914 332-0049 he is very knowledgeable on the A6 transmission
Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cranky
might be worth a call to chuck cow. 914 332-0049 he is very knowledgeable on the A6 transmission
I have a Chuck CoW tune .
Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Disableing TM will cause more stress on the car at each shift, how much it affects things at launch I'm not too sure. I think the stock clutch is the real enemy at launch(at least in the z). The one thing that helps relieve that stress is wheelspin and you'll get more of that. For those that powershift, if that shift isnt right on point it will put more stress on those driveline parts and could cause something to break, even with a sloppy flat shift it can happen. That being said , I haven't heard of or seen much about broken parts unless the car had DR's on a large bump in HP. As patton already said it will be nasty and feel like a different car but if your into drag racing remember wheelspin hurts your et. DR's kill stock parts, I'll never use them unless I upgrade for strength. Dgdoc...

Last edited by walterm32; 08-04-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Nothing to worry about.....

Originally Posted by walterm32
Disableing TM will cause more stress on the car at each shift, how much it affects things at launch I'm not too sure. I think the stock clutch is the real enemy at launch(at least in the z). The one thing that helps relieve that stress is wheelspin and you'll get more of that. For those that powershift, if that shift isnt right on point it will put more stress on those driveline parts and could cause something to break, even with a sloppy flat shift it can happen. That being said , I haven't heard of or seen much about broken parts unless the car had DR's on a large bump in HP. As patton already said it will be nasty and feel like a different car but if your into drag racing remember wheelspin hurts your et. DR's kill stock parts, I'll never use them unless I upgrade for strength. Dgdoc...
Don't worry about turning it off....It'll likely never hurt anything.

The primary goal of the torque management system is to minimize loss of traction to keep the driver and the vehicle (and other people) safe.

The secondary goal is to minimize part/component failure so that GM spends less on warranty claims.

Our experience in the past few years has been that removing TQ MANAGMENT DOES NOT break parts or cause failures. Drivers do.

Most tuned A6 vehicles have it totally disabled and there are few if any failures as a result.

Turn it off and have a good time.
Chuck CoW
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

for TM, disable everything, except the downshifts! no fun downshifting before a turn and the rear looses traction and you go round and round.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlrx7
for TM, disable everything, except the downshifts! no fun downshifting before a turn and the rear looses traction and you go round and round.
I didn't know the downshift was a different entity. I guess in dragracing you don't downshift much anyway.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Don't worry about turning it off....It'll likely never hurt anything.

The primary goal of the torque management system is to minimize loss of traction to keep the driver and the vehicle (and other people) safe.

The secondary goal is to minimize part/component failure so that GM spends less on warranty claims.

Our experience in the past few years has been that removing TQ MANAGMENT DOES NOT break parts or cause failures. Drivers do.

Most tuned A6 vehicles have it totally disabled and there are few if any failures as a result.

Turn it off and have a good time.
Chuck CoW
I think you have your primary and secondary reversed.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default If you think so......

If you think so......Then, what do you think is more valuable???

A tranny, or maybe a driveshaft.... or someone's life after they spin out in the snow or rain and die.

Corvette would not sell too well if people thought it was dangerous. Additionally, GM dosen't like lawsuits and hopes you live to a ripe old age so you can keep buying Corvettes from them....

Chuck CoW
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Well, I don't know what GM's primary reason for TM is, but if I had to guess I would put driveline stress as number one.

Any car in the wrong hand's can be dangerous, including an 80hp Toyota Tercel. I don't think that putting TM on a 400+ hp 186+mph car was to keep drivers out of trouble. That can be easily attained with a press of the right foot. Active handling will save you but TM won't. No amount of TM in the world will keep a ZR1 from walking sideways with some slighly worn tires on a slightly slick surface. Active handling will, but not TM. JMO.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I wouldn't say that there weren't any, but yes there are certainly very few I'm sure.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
walterm32
Drifting

If you think so......Then, what do you think is more valuable???

A tranny, or maybe a driveshaft.... or someone's life after they spin out in the snow or rain and die.

Corvette would not sell too well if people thought it was dangerous. Additionally, GM dosen't like lawsuits and hopes you live to a ripe old age so you can keep buying Corvettes from them....

Chuck CoW
I know whats more valuable, thats obvious . I think there is no doubt GM started using and continue to use TM to limit broken parts first, AH is more there to save our butts. If you buy a car with this kind of power, TM or no TM if you can't handle it your going to lose it and could get hurt or worse. I could be wrong but I'd say there wouldn't be much grounds for a lawsuit if you go infront of a judge and said you lost it because the car's too powerful and doesn't come with TM. I really hope not too many people out there are using their Vette in the snow, if they do then they almost deserve to wreck. I tried it in my 5.0 coupe a long time ago and I didn't go very far.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
Well, I don't know what GM's primary reason for TM is, but if I had to guess I would put driveline stress as number one.

Any car in the wrong hand's can be dangerous, including an 80hp Toyota Tercel. I don't think that putting TM on a 400+ hp 186+mph car was to keep drivers out of trouble. That can be easily attained with a press of the right foot. Active handling will save you but TM won't. No amount of TM in the world will keep a ZR1 from walking sideways with some slighly worn tires on a slightly slick surface. Active handling will, but not TM. JMO.
I should have read this first before I put my last post up. I guess my statement was a little redundant.

Get notified of new replies

To Those who have Torque Management disabled

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this in A6 cars only? Or MN6 also?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Originally Posted by tomiboy
Is this in A6 cars only? Or MN6 also?
Both. How much different its effects are between the two I don't know. If I had to guess I'd say its effects are felt more with a mn6.. I'm sure Chuck could elaborate on that if he sees this.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
slvr76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to have the car tuned definitely have the tuner disable TM. You paid for the advertised hp/tq, so you may as well be able to use all of it whenever you want

Quick Reply: Those who have Torque Management disabled