C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Four Wheel Alignment Today - Toe Was Out of Spec On All 4 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
No, that's NOT what I said. I said that kind of wear could occur if you were within "recommended spec". It can come from the factory within "recommended spec" and still wear badly.
As Zpirate said, the recommended spec range is so broad it borders on a joke. My interpretation of On Spec is the Spec number, not the allowable range of ERROR. Yes, you can scrub your tires off in no time and still have the numbers in range. Another reason NOT to go to your dealer for an alignment check, rather pay to have it done right to the correct number.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 AM
mikeci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Modshack
As Zpirate said, the recommended spec range is so broad it borders on a joke. My interpretation of On Spec is the Spec number, not the allowable range of ERROR. Yes, you can scrub your tires off in no time and still have the numbers in range. Another reason NOT to go to your dealer for an alignment check, rather pay to have it done right to the correct number.
ok lets take the FE1 numbers. the allowable range on most points is up to and over 1 degree i.e caster, camber and toe. in your opinion what should the setup be for the street? the reason I ask is next week I am changing out all the parts in the suspension.
Mike
Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeci
ok lets take the FE1 numbers. the allowable range on most points is up to and over 1 degree i.e caster, camber and toe. in your opinion what should the setup be for the street? the reason I ask is next week I am changing out all the parts in the suspension.
Mike

IMO, the factory spec is fine for aggressive street use.
Use the SPEC though and stay out of the "tolerance" range. A little wander to either side of center is OK, but for the most part it should be on the money. Insist on a before and after chart from your alignment guy and be very specific about your requirements. These numbers are already in his machine. The cruiser types here who most whine about tire wear, like to dial the camber closer to Zero. If you don't go around turns and don't play in the twisties that's OK I suppose. Many Corvettes are used like that.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeci
Mike
Just ignore the + or - allowances. Set it exactly to the factory specs.

If you are changing parts you are on your own for alignment specs, factory specs are for factory parts. Get a good local suspension/alignment shop and ask for for advice, tell him what you want. i.e.; Maximum tire life or Maximum handling, you won't get both with any alignment on factory or aftermarket suspension parts.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from getting mine done. I originally wanted -0.4 camber but he told me that I can go up to around -1.0 degree w/o having to worry too much about tire wear, as most tire wear is the result of incorrect toe. I know my Firehawk has -1.0 degree and has no issues with inside tire wear with my driving style, so I went with that.

I guess he aligned a guys track ZO6 with some pretty aggressive specs (-2.5 camber front and -2.0 camber rear) before the RA event. The had to remove some spacers in order to get that much negative camber The car owner was an instructor at the Corvette RA event a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, here's mine....how's this for a "spot-on" alignment! I was sitting right there with him while he was doing it too, no sitting in the waiting room wondering what's going on. This is my second time to this place, as I took my Firehawk to get it aligned 5 or 6 years ago and I was just as happy with how that turned out back then as well.

My factory alignment wasn't all that bad, but the changes were definitely noticeable!!

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 08-30-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a Four Wheel Alignment Today - Toe Was Out of Spec On All 4 Wheels