C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention A6 Owners!!! Finally, The Wait Is Over!!! @ C.o.w.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
THen you really need to drive a stock one so you can experience the rev matching downshift when using paddle mode that you refer to in post 20. Comon guys, Chuck thinks I'm nuts. Can some of you 08
A6 guys jump in here and confirm that when downshifting in paddle mode on an 08 A6 the engine revs up to match the next lower gear..
Yes, the throttle blips to match revs on down shifts
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
I can put the 08 software by itself or better yet, the 08 GM software with MY A6 tune. Then you're ROCKIN! Chuck CoW
What does your A6 tune change?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Everything.

Originally Posted by blazeone
What does your A6 tune change?
Everything.

Everything from shift firmness, throttle response, shift times, adaptive learns, WOT shift points, torque managment, You name it...I changed it.

Chuck CoW
Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Here's what we think.....

THen you really need to drive a stock one so you can experience the rev matching downshift when using paddle mode that you refer to in post 20. Comon guys, Chuck thinks I'm nuts. Can some of you 08
A6 guys jump in here and confirm that when downshifting in paddle mode on an 08 A6 the engine revs up to match the next lower gear..
Here's what we think.....Last night I had a long A6 conversation with a guy in Austrailia....

We spoke about the 08 A6 rev matching and we collectively agree that removing the torque management for up and downshifts is why it seems to have disappeared after an aggressive tune.

I think it's a worth while trade off.
Chuck CoW
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 AM
mikea074
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blazeone
Yes, the throttle blips to match revs on down shifts

I noticed this as well. its really cool keeps the rpm's high with chucks A6 tune its even more.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To the O.P ~I know someone thinking of getting an 07' A6 so I will tell him this because he thought the 07's response was too long when he test drove one. He'll be happy to hear about this, I will give him your #
Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Thanks VERY much!

Originally Posted by Vetteoholic
To the O.P ~I know someone thinking of getting an 07' A6 so I will tell him this because he thought the 07's response was too long when he test drove one. He'll be happy to hear about this, I will give him your #
Thanks VERY much!

Chuck CoW
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mikea074
I noticed this as well. its really cool keeps the rpm's high with chucks A6 tune its even more.
Now wait a minute. Are you saying Chuck did your tune and your car still blips the throttle to match the downshift when using your paddles?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default ah HA!

Now wait a minute. Are you saying Chuck did your tune and your car still blips the throttle to match the downshift when using your paddles?
ah HA! See....

It's all in your head!

Seriously though...I absolutely believe that if we turned on the torque management throttle blip would come back....but then the car would be more of a dog.

I don't think the car is "blipping" the throttle...I believe that the PCM closes the throttle body and drops the spark timing and when you change to a lower gear, the rpms jump up as a result of the gear change no different than if you just yanked the stick back...

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 07-30-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM
jimhild
Pro

Our 2008 A6 Convertible does rev matching with all downshifts using the paddles. We have the LS3 and NPP option.

Works great!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
NYC Vette
Race Director

Chuckie's tune on the '08 is awesome!! You get what you pay for. He touches every single aspect of the computer. Guaranteed no one else can come close to his magic. He spent a lot of time playing with stuff on my car, and it is absolutely awesome! No short cuts with turning off codes, and taking the easy way out to get performance gains. You car will still LEGALLY pass inspections.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

ah HA! See....

It's all in your head!

Seriously though...I absolutely believe that if we turned on the torque management throttle blip would come back....but then the car would be more of a dog.

I don't think the car is "blipping" the throttle...I believe that the PCM closes the throttle body and drops the spark timing and when you change to a lower gear, the rpms jump up as a result of the gear change no different than if you just yanked the stick back...

Chuck CoW
Nope - you are wrong on this one Chuck. The computer actually blips the throttle just as you would manually with a manual trans when downshifting. Seriously, go drive a stock 08, you can't miss it. It's quite noticable. I went from the 07 A6 to the 08 A6 and it's night and day different on paddle downshift. Go drive one and figure out how to make it work with your tune.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Hey man....Call me....

Nope - you are wrong on this one Chuck. The computer actually blips the throttle just as you would manually with a manual trans when downshifting. Seriously, go drive a stock 08, you can't miss it. It's quite noticable. I went from the 07 A6 to the 08 A6 and it's night and day different on paddle downshift. Go drive one and figure out how to make it work with your tune.
Hey man....Call me....I wanna explain what I meant by my statement.

Chuck CoW
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
mikeci
Racer

hmmm.... I was payin attention when I was drivin today in paddle mode. My 08 A6 does slightly over shoot the rev match when I downshift, just like if I had a stick. On a brighter note just a few more miles for the shakedown on my 08 then it's off to Chucks for the tune!
Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
RES-N-8R
Heel & Toe

ah HA! See....

It's all in your head!

Chuck CoW

I gotta go with the other drivers of stock A6s. I don't know what is meant by 'blipping' the throttle, but it definately increases the RPM when you downshift. In fact I would say it is almost scary when you experience it for the first time. Right when you expect (or even need) some engine braking - when you downshift you actually speed up before you start to slow down.

At 4000 miles on my 08 now it is merely annoying enough that I avoid downshifting, and this certainly takes a lot of the fun I thought I would have from having the best of both worlds - an automatic that I can shift and downshift myself.

All my Corvettes have been automatics, and I have always been able to enjoy a downshift every now and again. It seems kind'a sad that those days are gone...
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mikeci
hmmm.... I was payin attention when I was drivin today in paddle mode. My 08 A6 does slightly over shoot the rev match when I downshift, just like if I had a stick. On a brighter note just a few more miles for the shakedown on my 08 then it's off to Chucks for the tune!
Mike
When you go to Chucks, make sure he drives your car FIRST and show him what we are talking about. I don't know much about PCM tuning but I really don't think teh rev matching has anything to do with torque management.

Chuck - can't you just call your contact at GM and ask about this? They've been asking you lots of questions about what you do for the A6 tune. Ask them how they are doing the rev match.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RES-N-8R
I gotta go with the other drivers of stock A6s. I don't know what is meant by 'blipping' the throttle, but it definately increases the RPM when you downshift. In fact I would say it is almost scary when you experience it for the first time. Right when you expect (or even need) some engine braking - when you downshift you actually speed up before you start to slow down.

At 4000 miles on my 08 now it is merely annoying enough that I avoid downshifting, and this certainly takes a lot of the fun I thought I would have from having the best of both worlds - an automatic that I can shift and downshift myself.

All my Corvettes have been automatics, and I have always been able to enjoy a downshift every now and again. It seems kind'a sad that those days are gone...
I know what you are referring to and it does seem to hold the speed a bit longer at some speeds that you downshift at but I'd rather have that back then have it practically drag the rear tires on downshift.

Get notified of new replies

To Attention A6 Owners!!! Finally, The Wait Is Over!!! @ C.o.w.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
fright88
Safety Car

I think I am going to have to break down next summer and take a trip to NY
Old 08-03-2008, 12:29 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default You don't have to.....

Originally Posted by fright88
I think I am going to have to break down next summer and take a trip to NY
Hey man...You don't have to! The point of this post was that I've finally figured out how to do a MAIL ORDER A6 TUNE!

You can just send me the controller....

Chuck CoW
Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey man...You don't have to! The point of this post was that I've finally figured out how to do a MAIL ORDER A6 TUNE!

You can just send me the controller....

Chuck CoW
Chuck, I know you are out until Tuesday or Wednesday but I am actually yanking the TCM as we speak. When I get it out and ready tomorrow, I will post plenty of pics on a seperate thread for you and let me say this is MUCH easier than I thought. Just please tune my ECM and TCM as well as you can! I needs to go faster!

Quick Reply: Attention A6 Owners!!! Finally, The Wait Is Over!!! @ C.o.w.