C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-6 missed shift from 1st to second?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default A-6 missed shift from 1st to second?

has anyone else encountered this,go to S mode,shift from first to second,car revs up but stays in first.Ok so the first time this happens,I think I made an error,the second time I was more alert to the shift,and no second,
Do you have to hold the paddle down or is a quick flick okay?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Try paddling 1st to 2nd during WOT at 5500-5700rpms, that should help.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

that is what I was doing,or are you saying I was to late and was at the limiter? Will the car not shift after 5700 hundred?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
that is what I was doing,or are you saying I was to late and was at the limiter? Will the car not shift after 5700 hundred?
What I believe happens is once you are at/past aprox 5700rpms , by the time the computer reads the paddle engagement and decides to shift, you are already bouncing off the limiter and the tranny fails to shift. Only gets worse as you add more mods and acceleration increases. It's a software flaw. You can avoid it by hitting the paddle sooner/lower in the rpm band.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
What I believe happens is once you are at/past aprox 5700rpms , by the time the computer reads the paddle engagement and decides to shift, you are already bouncing off the limiter and the tranny fails to shift. Only gets worse as you add more mods and acceleration increases. It's a software flaw. You can avoid it by hitting the paddle sooner/lower in the rpm band.
What he said!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 AM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... or you were spinning in 1st, it does not like to do the shift into 2nd if it's spinning.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You can avoid it by hitting the paddle sooner/lower in the rpm band.
...or by simply not using the paddles (just full auto 'S' mode) at all when driving REALLY aggressively.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 AM
sampson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be the T/C holding the shift if you have any wheelspin. Try turning it off.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

wow,this is very informative.I can tell you it is not going to be easy to learn how to paddle,as the car is so quick,I have not played around to much before now.I have a vararram and just finished installing a Z06 exhaust with Ed's NPP in a box.I was getting on it in first,easy then hard,not much wheel spin,but it is so quick to build RPM's.
I think I will have to let the computer shift for me.Wow never would have thought that,
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My limited experience with my 1100 mile '08 A6;

If you even THINK about lifting the gas on a WOT shift with either a paddle or auto shift the computer gets confused and won't shift. Keep that right foot planted.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by haljensen
My limited experience with my 1100 mile '08 A6;

If you even THINK about lifting the gas on a WOT shift with either a paddle or auto shift the computer gets confused and won't shift. Keep that right foot planted.
I agree and it will sound aweful, until it figures out what you are trying to do. You are correct, if I'm at WOT, as soon as I back off the throttle the RPMs stay high, and the trans stays loaded. Sounds bad, but I suppose that's the way it is. Goes like stink though.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Mine does it if it is spining, happened twice...,TC off and in S mode, let the computer do it..
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Rob'sride
1st Gear

Default A-6 missed and went bang

I have had my 06 in the shop 3 times in the past 30 days for issues with it shifting. They tried reprograming, changing fluid then on July fourth when it shifted from 1st to second it went bang, no forward gears at all. After being in the shop since July 7th. they have decided to replace the tranny. So we will see.

Also all the questions about jacking up a corvette. The dealer just put a piece of 2 x 6 on the lift and voila they cracked the rocker panel on both sides. If I can figure how to post a pic I will.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
PatKrager
Advanced

If a dealer doesnt know how to jack up a car they sell I would seriously avoid it!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
RES-N-8R
Heel & Toe

Default A6 missed shift in S mode

I experienced the very same thing that NOCRISIS did ther very first time I tried WOT in my 08 after break in. I was in paddle mode and tapped it like I had been doing during normal driving - but it did not shift, and the rev limiter shut it down. Very scary. This happened to me the next time I tried the same thing - and I figured it is me not quick enough on the paddle.

Then yesterday I hit the rev limiter again - but this time was in S mode but NOT in paddle mode! (I really wanted to see where IT shifted on its own). It appeared to go into rev limit around 6200rpm (it climbs very fast, so it is hard to tell for sure) - but it never even tried to shift to 2nd. Tried again later at WOT in D mode, and it shifted to 2nd fine and spun the tires.

When I was searching the forum for info on similar experiences, I ran into a thread that indicated there is a temperature element to the functioning of the rev limiter. Is this true? Each of the 'rev limiter' experiences were within 5 minutes of startup. Could the limiter be shutting it down before the S mode normal 1st to 2nd shift point? Or do I have a real problem?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RES-N-8R
I experienced the very same thing that NOCRISIS did ther very first time I tried WOT in my 08 after break in. I was in paddle mode and tapped it like I had been doing during normal driving - but it did not shift, and the rev limiter shut it down. Very scary. This happened to me the next time I tried the same thing - and I figured it is me not quick enough on the paddle.

Then yesterday I hit the rev limiter again - but this time was in S mode but NOT in paddle mode! (I really wanted to see where IT shifted on its own). It appeared to go into rev limit around 6200rpm (it climbs very fast, so it is hard to tell for sure) - but it never even tried to shift to 2nd. Tried again later at WOT in D mode, and it shifted to 2nd fine and spun the tires.
When I was searching the forum for info on similar experiences, I ran into a thread that indicated there is a temperature element to the functioning of the rev limiter. Is this true? Each of the 'rev limiter' experiences were within 5 minutes of startup. Could the limiter be shutting it down before the S mode normal 1st to 2nd shift point? Or do I have a real problem?
this is very interesting,there could be more to this then just a missed shift,

Get notified of new replies

To A-6 missed shift from 1st to second?

Quick Reply: A-6 missed shift from 1st to second?