C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Power and Service Traction Control

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
mo-shy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reduced Engine Power and Service Traction Control

I got this code yesterday
can any one help me pls.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
HPS MASTER TECH
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

need code # to help. P????
Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
mo-shy
Pro

i got this message on my Dic "Reduced Engine Power Then Service Traction Control"
Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen once in "Abuse Mode" where I tapped the limiter on a really bad shift a few times. Its been a while, but believe I used my EFI Live software to clear the codes. There are parameters you can edit to prevent this from happening. Not sure about C6 though.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
mo-shy
Pro

Default "Reduced Engine Power Service Traction Control"

i went to the dealer he found this codes:

p2135
p1153
p1133

and he told me the problem come from this code p2135 !! but i dont think that cause this code come from throttle body !!
what is the connection between Traction system and throttle body!
any one have this before??

Last edited by mo-shy; 06-18-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mo-shy
i went to the dealer he found this codes:

p2135
p1153
p1133

and he told me the problem come from this code p2135 !! but i dont think that cause this code come from throttle body !!
what is the connection between Traction system and throttle body!
any one have this before??
a lot of codes cause you to end up in powertrain reduction mode.
I suspect your TP sensor is not up to par. other codes indicate insufficient bank switching. I would reset the codes then wait for them to happen again. If so, you may need to replace the faulty parts. I would suggest you buy EFI LIVE V2 to work w/your processor. You can tune, datalog, and do lots of diagnostics.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:27 AM
mecanico1950
2nd Gear

#PIP3089B: SES Light And Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135 - keywords accelerator actuator APP blade body connector connection DTC L33 L59 LH6 LR4 LM7 LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 module position reduce sensor - (Oct 31, 2006)

Subject: SES Light and Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135

Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rainer

2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Monte Carlo, Silverado, SSR, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer

2003-2006 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2003-2006 Hummer H2

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

Equipped with a 4.8 5.3 6.0 or 7.0 V-8 Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated.
Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.
On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.
If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved. There is a throttle body pigtail connector available through GMSPO, but installing this pigtail connector may cause other intermittent TAC module/TP codes at a later date. If this pigtail must be used, please follow the SI procedures for Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves. (the proper Kent-Moore crimping tool must be used for this repair)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved
hope this helps you.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 AM
mo-shy
Pro

Originally Posted by mecanico1950
#PIP3089B: SES Light And Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135 - keywords accelerator actuator APP blade body connector connection DTC L33 L59 LH6 LR4 LM7 LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 module position reduce sensor - (Oct 31, 2006)

2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Monte Carlo, Silverado, SSR, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer

2003-2006 Hummer H2

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated.
Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.
On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.
If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved. There is a throttle body pigtail connector available through GMSPO, but installing this pigtail connector may cause other intermittent TAC module/TP codes at a later date. If this pigtail must be used, please follow the SI procedures for Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves. (the proper Kent-Moore crimping tool must be used for this repair)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved
hope this helps you.
Thanks alot.
i wait my dealer finish his jop and see!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Joe Lynch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I know this is not likely on your car, but if you have a frayed fan belt, the threads will hit the wiring at the throttle position sensor while the engine is running and can cut them, resulting in this code. Check your fan belt and check the wiring at the throttle body position sensor right above the fan belt for damage.

I had to repair a driving instructor's C5 at a track day when this happened to him. Can happen on a C6 as well.

Hope you find it.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Lynch; 06-22-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 PM
boattrash9
Advanced

Default Just my 2 cents!!

Hey I had this problem one evening...I had drove the car for about 15 mins and made it to the store...Well after getting back in the car boom!!! Service traction reduced power...The car would not even barely move!!! Well to my amazement I looked at the gas guage and realized that I had more gas then it was showing.

I took it over to the pump and filled it up and the problem went away!! I know it sounds crazy but this is the GODs honest truth...It made me believe that maybe there was a sensor that is going out in my fuel tank... I hope it is this easy for you.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
mo-shy
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Lynch
I know this is not likely on your car, but if you have a frayed fan belt, the threads will hit the wiring at the throttle position sensor while the engine is running and can cut them, resulting in this code. Check your fan belt and check the wiring at the throttle body position sensor right above the fan belt for damage.

I had to repair a driving instructor's C5 at a track day when this happened to him. Can happen on a C6 as well.

Hope you find it.

Joe
Thanks that great info.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
mo-shy
Pro

Originally Posted by boattrash9
Hey I had this problem one evening...I had drove the car for about 15 mins and made it to the store...Well after getting back in the car boom!!! Service traction reduced power...The car would not even barely move!!! Well to my amazement I looked at the gas guage and realized that I had more gas then it was showing.

I took it over to the pump and filled it up and the problem went away!! I know it sounds crazy but this is the GODs honest truth...It made me believe that maybe there was a sensor that is going out in my fuel tank... I hope it is this easy for you.
I think my case is different
i just wait my dealer finish his jop then see if he was true when he said the problem come from this code(p2135).
p.s i went to the dealer since week and my car still there
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

here's hoping it's all easy and good stuff that the dealer takes care of. or you might have to go see this fellow's technician in Lynchburg (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2057251)

let's hope not; that's a big trip for a car that's running in reduced power mode.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
boattrash9
Advanced

Default I hope all is well

Well never the less I would give it a shot.....How would you like to throw 20 dollars in there and be about your business??? Worse case secenario siphon it out after words... Good luck bud
Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
MSC6
Pro

Originally Posted by mo-shy
I think my case is different
i just wait my dealer finish his jop then see if he was true when he said the problem come from this code(p2135).
p.s i went to the dealer since week and my car still there
I just had this problem and was back 2 times to the dealer. The first time it went out on it's own but stored the code. Dealer just reset it and "checked all the sensors". The second time the code it threw was for the throttle position sensor. I limped to the dealer with no power. The tech told me they would need the car for days to get one in. I advised him that it usually happens after I wash the car and he said just coincidence. Well it wasn't !

Just before I left he checked for service bulletins and IMAGINE THAT he found one pertaining to the problem. The connector to the left of the battery (not for the battery) but for the sensor was getting wet. He blew it out, sprayed it with silicone grease and repositioned it because the way it was sitting it collected water like a cup. No problems since. Have them look into this option it might help. I'm at work so I don't have the TSB number. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
MSC6
Pro

I'll post a picture of it if you need.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

please post a pic for all of us.

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power and Service Traction Control

Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Inthewoods
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MSC6
I'll post a picture of it if you need.
please send a picture to mwiherle@comcast.net
I just power washed the engine area and it happen after about 24 hours and 15 miles. thanks mgw
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mecanico1950

2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2006 Hummer H2

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

Condition/Concern:

hope this helps you.
Good info.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
cgw
1st Gear

Default same problem - getting frustrated

Hi Guys - I have been experiencing the "Reduced Engine Power, Service Traction System" on my 2005 Z51 (14K miles) for a month now. I live near Jupiter, FL and there is a "corvette only" shop nearby where I frequent. It was throwing Code P2135 and they were 100% convinced that I need to replace my throttle position sensor. Unfortunately, as you know it is part of the throttle body so I was forced to replace the entire part. I did that two weeks ago and then yesterday it came back while driving. The same error and the same code. I then cleared the codes and this morning, as soon as I started the car, it came back before even moving.

I don't know what to do at all and I no longer trust my corvette guy. I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power and Service Traction Control