C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing A Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM
SKYGOD II
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing A Vehicle

Will be leaving my 2007 in storage for three months and have been told to just disconnect the positive lead from the battery and it will be okay.
Anyone have experience with this, good or bad, or recommendations?
Skygod II
Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disconnect the NEGATIVE first terminal first. If your wrench touches a ground while disconnecting the positive terminal, you will get a spark and possibly a explosion. I learned this from experience.

NEVER DISCONNECT THE POSITIVE BEFORE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:04 AM
vegasrebel29
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Mez
...If your wrench touches a ground while disconnecting the positive terminal, you will get a spark and possibly a explosion. I learned this from experience.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

three months...

fill the tank with premium and add some stabilizer to the fuel. disconnect the negitive battery, or put on a battery tender if you have on. go ahead and change the oil if you haven't in a while.. (gets rid of any moisture or acid)

or you can just park it and forget it. but everything ive mentioned wont hurt it...

i leave two months at a time for 'military work' all the time. i just fill it up and put a battery tender on it. i come home. check the air pressure in the tires, check for any leaks, and press the starter button and she fires right up,, take it around the block a couple times and warm up the tires, then run it up and down the local interstate to get rid of any mild flat spots on the tires. ..

-carl
Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 AM
SKYGOD II
Intermediate

Default Car Storage

Thanks to all for you input. I bought a battery tender and will put that on. I did put some stabilizer into a full tank. Recently changed oil so that should be okay.
Skygod II

Get notified of new replies

To Storing A Vehicle

Quick Reply: Storing A Vehicle