C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk HPS versus Wagner Thermoquiet Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hawk HPS versus Wagner Thermoquiet Brake Pads

Alright guys... so I took the plunge and bought myself a set of Hawk HPS brakes... (though I'm not a track runner) I did it. and all I have to say yes.... WOW! yea they stop beautifully, but OMG must I have to always pull up to any destination of mine squeaking away like a freaking school vbus... and the dust.... OMG the dust.... I have to be hoenst... I swear that there was more dust on my wheels than with the stock z51 brakes... so in m yopinion I say NO to the HPS...

Now the Wagner thermoquiet ($78 at Oreily Auto Parts) can we say SILENT???? Yes the noise was gone and I have to admit the brakes do have a softer "BITE" but after I flushed the brake llines and loaded Pennzoil Synthetic DOT3 brake FLUID... HEEEEE HAWWWW!!!! Oh yea... do they bite... oh and by the way just drive 60 miles from my work to back home and have to say... brake dust....??? WHAT BRAKE DUST?????

yup still clean... I dont think I have ever seen my front wheel shine so beautifully before.... another happy wagner "el-cheapo" brake pad user.

BTW if you want my old Hawk HPS front c6 brakes... give me an offer and I will give them to you. they were used for exactly 72 hours before I could not stand the freaking noise.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 PM
mrebikr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had HPS on a C6, Z51. Squeal like a pig. Dust is a given. But they went away in 2k miles, and two hard track days. I'm with you, el-cheepo's, the best way to go. NO nose, and half the price or better. I'm trying a race pad, for the track only. I cant stand the squeal for street. Don't know how they last, but they bite like a bull-dog. I had them on for a day. Went to the cheep ones.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
yellowzhz
Advanced

Does anyone have anymore issue's with the wagner. I know many people have used hawk pads but terrible noise. I here more and more people going with wagner. How are they still working for you? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your experience is the same as mine. I threw those HPS in the trash. They weren't good on the track either for me, fading and nowhere near the performance as the Hawk HT-10 or 14's which are great.

I've been saying this for years to anyone who will listen. Looks like there's two of us now.

My store brand ceramics have given me 50k miles of great daily driving service and are still good, even after 3 185 mph runs and 433 dragstrip passes.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
yellowzhz
Advanced

Joe, how much are the ones you are using. Are they nice to the rotor and where can I find those. Please let me know.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by yellowzhz
Joe, how much are the ones you are using. Are they nice to the rotor and where can I find those. Please let me know.
Just go to any auto parts store and get their house brand ceramics. I have Advanced Auto house brand. You can step up to a name brand, even GM ceramics from Gene Culley here on the forum (gmpartshouse.com), if you like, but I've had great luck with mine on two Vettes and my truck for years and years.

They are kind to the rotors. I am getting some spider cracks around the holes in my z51 rotors after 50k...and I think I got them slowing down from the 185 mph runs. FYI I had no fade and had to make one stop pretty fast on one of the runs when the end of the track snuck up on my chatting with my buddy. After 180, 120 feels pretty slow!

Watch my speedometer at the end of this video. These are my ceramic store brand pads.

Beware, this is my FLIP camera taped to my helmet and I forgot about it so the beginning is a little jerky as I get started.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm posting this as a revival of my original thread...

It's been 3.5 years and almost 50K miles later and I am now REPLACING my Thermoquiets... FOR FREE...

That's right FREE. Unlimited Warranty on these bad boys!

You just take your old ones in and get new ones... FREE!.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if you guys did proper break-in for the HPS?

They are silent on my XLR-V
Old 09-14-2023, 10:10 PM
Pschultz91
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get them from auto zone?
Old 09-15-2023, 09:14 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Just to add that my HPS rarely squeal. I did follow the standard break in and did use plenty CRC disc brake quiet. There is dust to deal with.

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk HPS versus Wagner Thermoquiet Brake Pads

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS versus Wagner Thermoquiet Brake Pads