C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Sounds when open

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 PM
vcrz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NPP Sounds when open

So of you guys have have the 2008 NPP set to open all the time (without the fuse in place or with an after market controller), how does it sound? Anoying after 20 minutes, hum? Or is it just really cool? Do you have it open often?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
9secz
Pro

Mine is nearly always open, probably for 1190 of the 1200 miles I've put on the car so far. It sounds even better with the long tubes I installed last weekend! Best of all, if I'm on a long freeway upgrade and want some quiet, I just poke my visor button and the SunsetOrange NPP controller shuts the flapperjammers. As soon as I crest the hill, the flaps get opened again. The NPP is an amazingly nice sound given that it's stock.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've got a Z06, and I've got a M2W remote control switch. The valves are open when my wife isn't in the car and I'm just driving around town.

I usually leave them closed when my wife is with me.

When driving on the highway they are closed. Between about 65 to 75 mph there is a very annoying drone. It doesn't take 20 minutes to bother you - it's pretty unbearable as soon as you shift into 6th and settle down at highway speed.

I don't know whether the LS2 or LS3 with NPP experiences the same amount of drone or whether it occurs at the same speed/rpm, but if so then, IMHO, you definitely want to be able to control the valves instead of pulling the fuse and leaving them open all the time.

I like the M2W remote very much.

Bob
Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Revving High
Pro

M2W switch here. i drive with the butterflies open almost all of the time except when on the phone on the highway. A little drone. Only thing i dont like is the machine gun popping on decel. Sounds like a racecar lol
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Revving High
M2W switch here. i drive with the butterflies open almost all of the time except when on the phone on the highway. A little drone. Only thing i dont like is the machine gun popping on decel. Sounds like a racecar lol
Pretty much the same answer here.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
BetaShave
Advanced

For me, the sound is really cool, and I keep the flaps open probably 80% of the time. Nice deep tone at idle and cruising in 6th on the highway. Nice roar under acceleration. Yes the popping on decel may seem a little overkill at times, but it's cool in it's own way. I don't know that there is much of a "drone." I've had a Mustang with Flowmasters...now THAT's a drone!

The 20% I run with the flaps closed is not really due to the wife...she doesn't mind the flaps open. I mainly keep them closed on the few long road trips I've taken just to enjoy some quiet cruising, or if I just want to run around town with them closed. I like the sound of the car with them closed almost as much as with them open. Having the option is fantastic!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
NHNASCAR24
Instructor

I keep mine open 99% of the time. I only close it when I start up in the garage in the morning so I don't wake the wife!

I had a Corsa Sport Exhaust on my C5 and was going to put one on my C6 unitl I got to hear the NPP. I know it doesn't sound exactly like the Corsa, but it sounds good enough to me and it was about half the price.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

I love the "race car" sounding popping during decel. I try to make it do it as often as possible...... I only turn it off when: 1) wife is in the car (and I want to talk to her), 2) trying to talk on the cell phone, or 3) trying to go through a drive-through restraunt.

I don't know about the other after market exhaust, but with the mild-to-wild switch its great to be able to turn it on or off on demand.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Revving High
Pro

Originally Posted by RACE U
I don't know about the other after market exhaust, but with the mild-to-wild switch its great to be able to turn it on or off on demand.
It is awesome. everyone thinks its the coolest thing!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
thegreenman
Burning Brakes

I just got my M2W today, quick install and it works great. I like riding with it open all of the time but I close it for the wife or “wife mode” as I call it. I have some drone when going up in the gears but not at highway speed. I don’t mind the drone; it is music to my ears.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

'07 A6 here with NPP installed and the mild 2 wild (exhaust in a box). I leave it open 90% of the time. The only time I close it is coming home late at night from the GF's house.

Oh, and I love it too. I almost ordered Corsa Sports. I went with this and people just can't believe how much of a difference there is from open to closed!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 AM
james1990
Burning Brakes

i have them open 99% of the time. they sound great! loud but not too loud. the best is downshifting from 2nd to first when slowing down. Gotta love the crackle!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 AM
statman
Racer

NoCA Events Coordinator

For those of you that leave it open all or most of the time -

Have you noticed any improvement in gas mileage? Seems to me it should help. Or does the great sound add some lead to the right foot, thereby negating any mpg increase?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Revving High
Pro

Originally Posted by statman
For those of you that leave it open all or most of the time -

Have you noticed any improvement in gas mileage? Seems to me it should help. Or does the great sound add some lead to the right foot, thereby negating any mpg increase?
Definitely decreases gas mileage because you always want to lay into the throttle to hear the roar
Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Revving High
Definitely decreases gas mileage because you always want to lay into the throttle to hear the roar
I have to agree lol. I didn't use my paddle shifting much until installing these bad boys. Now I use it almost every day to have control over the sound!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Deja Vu 2 U
Racer

Location: Somerset Kentucky... Life's Abundant For Those Who Believe

Open all the time was very annoying to me and my passengers when I took the fuse out.
I love having the option and most of the time.. unless I want to show off I keep them closed.
ALSO
Don't forget there are 2 choices of controllers including the
Exhaust Commander... also gets nice reviews from members on this site.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 AM
MannyS
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

NPP A6 with fuse pulled = monster drone.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Sounds when open

Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by mannys
NPP A6 with fuse pulled = monster drone.

I use the M2W integrated with my Homelink visor.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
AO-08
Racer

Default different appraoch

interesting comments so far....

I only use the NPP open about 5% of the time... when the wife is in the car trying to talk to me.

Really, I use it open between 50-75% I'd say. I love the popping during decel and the pure power sound. The down side is worst fuel mileage either from just more air flow or more right foot making fun noises!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Ron H
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B84RADR
I have to agree lol. I didn't use my paddle shifting much until installing these bad boys. Now I use it almost every day to have control over the sound!
Same here.

Quick Reply: NPP Sounds when open