C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on Z06 exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 AM
YeeeeeHaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help on Z06 exhaust system

Is the stock cat back of a 2007 Z06 direct bolt on to the 2007 C6 couple mn6? Any sound inprovement? Does it worth the trouble?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
YeeeeeHaw
Racer

Ttt
Old 03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
pimpinvcu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't just buy the cat back portion and bolt it up. The cats on the regular coupe are 2.5" and the cat-back system of the Z is 3". The biggest gains from the Z06 exhaust system come from installing the Z06 exhaust manifolds (like shorty headers) and then the rest of the system. I recently did that and the love the sound but have not yet had the car dyno'd/tuned.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
YeeeeeHaw
Racer

Originally Posted by pimpinvcu
You can't just buy the cat back portion and bolt it up. The cats on the regular coupe are 2.5" and the cat-back system of the Z is 3". The biggest gains from the Z06 exhaust system come from installing the Z06 exhaust manifolds (like shorty headers) and then the rest of the system. I recently did that and the love the sound but have not yet had the car dyno'd/tuned.
I was hoping the size of the flanges are the same.
I have installed a 3" B&B cat back to the 2.5" cat on my CTS-V, and they fit well. I guess B&B made a special flange for this application.
So, if the flanges won't fit. I can weld a 3" - 2.5" adaptor to the Z06 over-axle pipe, connect it to the 2.5" stock H-pipe so I can use the Z06 muffler. Or, I can change the flanges to 2.5" so it will bolt on to the cat.
Will I gain any sound or noise, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks again.

Last edited by YeeeeeHaw; 03-24-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
pimpinvcu
Instructor

The stock Z06 exhaust will a little louder than the stock C6 plus it will give you the option to install the hardware to use the open/closed system for mild to wild. There is also a mod you can do on the Z06 muffler to make it louder as well.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
YeeeeeHaw
Racer

Originally Posted by pimpinvcu
The stock Z06 exhaust will a little louder than the stock C6 plus it will give you the option to install the hardware to use the open/closed system for mild to wild. There is also a mod you can do on the Z06 muffler to make it louder as well.
That's exactly what I'm looking at, I can install NPP in a box to open and close the butterful value. Before I take all the trouble, I want to know if this is worth it.
Let me ask you your experience with the Z06 exhaust, does it drone when the value is open? How about when it's closed? Is it loud enough for you when it is open?
I am debating between the Z06 and the B&B Fusion, Fusion sounds great to me, but it drones very bad!
Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by YeeeeeHaw
Is the stock cat back of a 2007 Z06 direct bolt on to the 2007 C6 couple mn6? Any sound inprovement? Does it worth the trouble?
No, not a direct bolt-on. You will have to do some cutting and/or welding to match up the C6 h-pipe to the C6z over-axle pipes. Length and diameter is different. And of course the flanges of the c6 H-pipe where they bolt to the exhaust manifolds are different for the c6z too.

Sound improvement is subjective, but the stock C6 system is so quiet that almost any change might be worth it.

Cheers,
kent
Old 03-24-2008, 04:01 PM
David Borla
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the stock flapper exhaust valve fully controlled by the operator? Or does it open and close at the same points every time like Volkswagen? What happens to performance when the valve is closed?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM
pimpinvcu
Instructor

Originally Posted by YeeeeeHaw
Let me ask you your experience with the Z06 exhaust, does it drone when the value is open? How about when it's closed? Is it loud enough for you when it is open?
I am debating between the Z06 and the B&B Fusion, Fusion sounds great to me, but it drones very bad!
Thanks.
If you have the money I would go with the Fusions. I am sure there is drone but not as bad as the bullets because you can close them. You can also add damplifier material to the trunk area to quiet it down. If you went with the stock Z06 exhaust you could see how loud it is for you then always do the mod where you remove the packing material and clamp the holes to make it louder in the open position.

Originally Posted by David Borla
Is the stock flapper exhaust valve fully controlled by the operator? Or does it open and close at the same points every time like Volkswagen? What happens to performance when the valve is closed?
Unless you buy the mild-to-wild kit they are set at a pre-fixed rpm range to open and close. If you get the kit you can choose the rpm and use the wireless remotes to open and close them
Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by David Borla
On the Z06 it opens based on RPM (3500) the car can run fine with them closed since the muffler has two separate internal pipes, one muffled and one straight through for the valved side. I make a product that allows you to open them anytime via a wireless control
Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Ron H
Burning Brakes

I am running the Z06 catback on my C6 coupe. It will drone a bit under load but not as bad as some other systems. It is not as loud as I hoped open but a nice improvement over stock. As someone metioned there is a modification you can make to the mufflers to make them even louder.

I went with Sunset Orange Creations all in one retro fit system so I can change as desired from quiet to louder. it is great to have the ability to close the flap and talk on the phone.

If you have any questions on installing them let me know. any good muffler shop can handle it for about $100. I paid $75.00

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on Z06 exhaust system

Quick Reply: Need help on Z06 exhaust system