C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Oil cooler install, missing a clip

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:43 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default Help! Oil cooler install, missing a clip

I am installing a Z06 engine oil cooler, but I am missing the little snap ring clip labeled as part #10 in the following diagram, and GM only has it available as part of the assembly.

Has anyone ever lost or broken one of these small snap rings, or had to replace one? If so, can you share any info you might have as to what I can use as a replacement, short of buying a whole new cooler?

Thanks much!

Last edited by scottycards; 03-15-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:10 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like a standard e-clip retainer.
Should be able to pick one up at any of the automotive stores if you know the inside diameter.
NAPA, Checker, PEP Boys, Grainger, Harbor Freight, or Home Depot, etc.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:05 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

ID looks to be 13mm, and I just found one at NAPA.

Brief panic, back to work.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

The E-clips worked. Note to self, the GM manual says to just snap the lines in, but if you're using E-clips, no amount of force (believe me, I tried) will get the lines to snap in with the clips already in place.

Lines go in, then install the clips.

I got it all installed, and with 50* ambient running the car hard, oil temps at only 198* so far. Oil capacity is a little over a quart more, almost 7 quarts to fill her up.

This is the TICKET for lower oil temps.

1. Put the car on ramps, drain oil and remove filter.
2. Take off the two 10mm bolts on the blockoff plate just above the oil filter.
3. Route your lines- it's a bit of a struggle, but they just feed up front.
4. Remove intake at throttle body, and remove the air cleaners and assembly to get room to work on the side of the shroud.
5. Make a template for the holes and drill them. I used a drill bit for the 8mm mounting bolts (8mmX1.25X25) with washers. Use a hole saw (about 1 1/4") for the lines to go through the shroud. Mount on the shroud as low as possible, just in front of the radiator. This step is a hassle, so some may wish to buy the Z06 shroud (it should have the holes already in it).
6. Mount cooler using 8mm bolts.
7. Connect the lines to the oil cooler.
8. I had to remove two bolts near the cats/oil filter hookup. They held some heat shielded (alum foil looking stuff). I stuffed the elec lines up out of the way while I mounted the oil cooler block that comes off the engine block, and then replaced them once I had the engine block oil cooler mount on (two 10mm bolts on the cooler mount).
9. About 7 qts to fill it up.
10. Drive till it's warm, and HAMMER it, and enjoy your low oil temps.
11. Basque in smugness that you just saved a bunch of cash with your factory external oil cooler versus a lot of the other solutions that you considered before going this route. The cooler is big, and functions very well.

The following users liked this post:
72greg (05-15-2022)
Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scottycards
The E-clips worked. Note to self, the GM manual says to just snap the lines in, but if you're using E-clips, no amount of force (believe me, I tried) will get the lines to snap in with the clips already in place.

Lines go in, then install the clips.

I got it all installed, and with 50* ambient running the car hard, oil temps at only 198* so far. Oil capacity is a little over a quart more, almost 7 quarts to fill her up.

This is the TICKET for lower oil temps.

1. Put the car on ramps, drain oil and remove filter.
2. Take off the two 10mm bolts on the blockoff plate just above the oil filter.
3. Route your lines- it's a bit of a struggle, but they just feed up front.
4. Remove intake at throttle body, and remove the air cleaners and assembly to get room to work on the side of the shroud.
5. Make a template for the holes and drill them. I used a drill bit for the 8mm mounting bolts (8mmX1.25X25) with washers. Use a hole saw (about 1 1/4") for the lines to go through the shroud. Mount on the shroud as low as possible, just in front of the radiator. This step is a hassle, so some may wish to buy the Z06 shroud (it should have the holes already in it).
7. Connect the lines to the oil cooler.
8. I had to remove two bolts near the cats/oil filter hookup. They held some heat shielded (alum foil looking stuff). I stuffed the elec lines up out of the way while I mounted the oil cooler block that comes off the engine block, and then replaced them once I had the engine block oil cooler mount on (two 10mm bolts on the cooler mount).
9. About 7 qts to fill it up.
10. Drive till it's warm, and HAMMER it, and enjoy your low oil temps.
11. Basque in smugness that you just saved a bunch of cash with your factory external oil cooler versus a lot of the other solutions that you considered before going this route. The cooler is big, and functions very well.

Scotty

Did you do anything with the existing oil cooler lines in the radiator?

Thanks

bill
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM
racingfast
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHOSE COOLER is this? FACTORY C6 Z06? What are the dimensions???

If you couldnt reach 200 after hard running this is a good system... Is the HARD running on the street? I am looking to get out of the 280-290 temps after hard running on the track- and others in my group are seeing the same temps... THANKS!

Last edited by racingfast; 04-25-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Very nice write up!!!

I have an 08 C6 Z51, with the tiny oil cooler. I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at trying to just swap out the little Z51 cooler for the much larger Z06 cooler. I too saw high temps at the track.

Do you know if the connection to the cooler is the same on both, can I just buy the Z06 cooler and connect it, since I already have lines there???

Thanks,
JB
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Very nice write up!!!

I have an 08 C6 Z51, with the tiny oil cooler. I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at trying to just swap out the little Z51 cooler for the much larger Z06 cooler. I too saw high temps at the track.

Do you know if the connection to the cooler is the same on both, can I just buy the Z06 cooler and connect it, since I already have lines there???

Thanks,
JB
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
455HOGT37
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to add this cooler to my 08 coupe, so two questions:

1. Does the parts list shown on the first post incorporate all the parts required for install?

2. Where is the best place to buy factory GM parts (I'm sure it isn't my local dealer!)?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike
Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
m_LeDez
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Houston, Tx.....'05 Corvette M6 LS3 Magnuson Heartbeat
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It is a factory Z06 oil cooler & lines (I sold it to scottycards). The oil cooler extends almost the full width of the shroud air passage (~18 long). It's a direct bolt-up to any C6. The parts diagram shows all the GM parts required for the swap.

I wish I could have used it, but no room due to my Maggie inner-cooler.
I don't know if you can swap the Z-51 oil cooler for the larger Z-06 oil cooler, good question.

Gene Culley sells the Z-06 oil cooler (new) for ~$390 and the hoses (new) for ~$130 (est. prices). Here's the link : gculley@gmpartshouse.com
or you could try Katech for a used one.

Last edited by m_LeDez; 05-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice write up!!!

Thanks,
JB
I want to know too. I have a call into Quality Motorsports about doing a direct swap to the Z06 oil cooler on my '08 Z51. The Z51 oil cooler is obviously too small as I saw 292F oil temp at the track last month.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Zteve
Racer

Very nice write up!!!

Thanks,
JB
Can someone check if the lines and the clip part numbers are the same on an 08 MN6 coupe and Z06? If so, 99% chance the cooler element would be a direct swap.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Zteve
Can someone check if the lines and the clip part numbers are the same on an 08 MN6 coupe and Z06? If so, 99% chance the cooler element would be a direct swap.
The part #s for the Z06 lines, and Z51 lines are different, but they look very close in the picture.

Someone needs to try this out, or speak to someone how has.

I"ve got a line on a Z06 cooler, and just need to decide weather to buy the lines as well...
Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I want to know too. I have a call into Quality Motorsports about doing a direct swap to the Z06 oil cooler on my '08 Z51. The Z51 oil cooler is obviously too small as I saw 292F oil temp at the track last month.
Let us know if you find out.
Thanks!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
silvervettesyco
Racer

Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

The part #s for the Z06 lines, and Z51 lines are different, but they look very close in the picture.

Someone needs to try this out, or speak to someone how has.

I"ve got a line on a Z06 cooler, and just need to decide weather to buy the lines as well...
Do a search, if memory serves me, some one did and they fit with just a little persuasion to the lines.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I am installing a Z06 engine oil cooler, but I am missing the little snap ring clip labeled as part #10 in the following diagram, and GM only has it available as part of the assembly.

Has anyone ever lost or broken one of these small snap rings, or had to replace one? If so, can you share any info you might have as to what I can use as a replacement, short of buying a whole new cooler?

Thanks much!

I went through the same excersise last spring for my C6 M. After my oil temp got to 315 F on a cool day at the track, I began looking for a Z06 cooler. I found one but it too was missing this clip. I had no luck anywhere ordering one, until I began asking local GM corvette mechanics. These guys don't throw out everything from past jobs and a local guy had one in his tool box. It made sense for me to give my mechanic friend $20.00 for the missing clip. Sounds like a lot of money but the next time I was @ the track the temps were 45 degrees F cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Oil cooler install, missing a clip

Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So, scottycards, If my reading comprehension skills are OK, I see that I can drill the mounting holes in the shroud (baffle) without taking the darned thing out of the car... also install the Z06 oil cooler also without removing the shroud. Right?

This is good news!

Thanks for the great write-up!

Rb
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RFP

So, scottycards, If my reading comprehension skills are OK, I see that I can drill the mounting holes in the shroud (baffle) without taking the darned thing out of the car... also install the Z06 oil cooler also without removing the shroud. Right?

This is good news!

Rb
________________________________________ ____________________

I second your conclusion.
You do not need to take the shroud out.
Just first make a template of the z06 heat exchanger out of something like a 2 X 4. I screwed 4 wood screws into the ends of the wood that reprsented the positions of the 4 ports. This will allow you to line up everything before you drill and cutt your holes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 AM
scottycards
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RFP

This is good news!

Rb
Correct, Rob. You don't have to remove the shroud. I made a little paper template and drilled the holes with the shroud in the car.

Quick Reply: Help! Oil cooler install, missing a clip