C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Base suspension enough for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Fuego
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Interesting, but is this the website? http://www.ttcautomotive.com/

It doesn't list the TR-6060 except in a paper at the end.
The tr-6060 is pretty new.
both 6-spd's are the same (gearing wise). The tr-6060 is a strength and smoothness upgrade from the t-56.The purpose for both is the same.

Last edited by Fuego; 02-29-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The base suspension is compliant for a sports car.

Enough said!

By the way this car has so much power that unless on track or strip your'll never see the potential of the C6.
And if you do you driving like a mad man on public streets. Not COOL
Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one very important detail that you are all missing.

Originally Posted by NB68
I'm looking to get into a new '08 Corvette and my budget is really tight.I like a lot of what I'm reading about the two options but if the car can perform very well with the Base, well that get's me that much closer to my $$ goal and may allow for other options.
If the choice is between a base C6 or no C6....well then that's a pretty easy decision to make.

Asking if you will be able to notice the difference implies that you will be regularly driving all 3 suspension types. I'm assuming you wont be. So you are not going to notice any difference. All you're going to notice is how much you're enjoying your brand new Corvette. To hell with all the suspension options. None are significantly better than the other. Just get what you can afford.

and this is coming from a Z51 owner
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Folks, let's remember one thing: the OP said his budget is tight, and he's not going to race or track it and seemingly he hasn't owned a Corvette before. I've sat in and looked very carefully at a 1LT---it is a helluva good bargain.

While I agree there is a reason and a good one for every option, be it 2LT or Z51, it all adds up. Three or five years down the road, if he can afford more and wants more car, he can always trade or buy another one.

No reason to put him into financial jeopardy in today's economy for the marginal gain or benefit of having something special but that he will eventually not be able to afford.

After all, it's not like the difference between getting two wheels or four.

Note: I see wisdom has preceded me in the form of Mr. Kobun. And this is from another Z51 owner. I second his opinion.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Folks, let's remember one thing: the OP said his budget is tight, and he's not going to race or track it and seemingly he hasn't owned a Corvette before. I've sat in and looked very carefully at a 1LT---it is a helluva good bargain.

While I agree there is a reason and a good one for every option, be it 2LT or Z51, it all adds up. Three or five years down the road, if he can afford more and wants more car, he can always trade or buy another one.

No reason to put him into financial jeopardy in today's economy for the marginal gain or benefit of having something special but that he will eventually not be able to afford.

After all, it's not like the difference between getting two wheels or four.

Note: I see wisdom has preceded me in the form of Mr. Kobun. And this is from another Z51 owner. I second his opinion.
It didn't precede you. You just explained it better than I did.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

You need to drive the base and Z51 suspensions to decide. I prefered the Z51 for several reasons:

1. The car feels more responsive in the turns and with less lean in the turns. The stiffer shocks and springs complement each other without giving a harsh ride.
2. The lower gearing allows you to accelerate a little quicker out of the turns and from a dead stop.
3. Cross drilled rotors look agressive and are larger than the base, thus filling in behind the rims more (cosmetics).
4. Added oil coolers.
5. Stickier tires.

I believe the Z51 package is a bargain.

I would also drive the NPP optional exhaust before you buy, that was a must have option for me.

Good luck!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I've found a lot of spirited comps btw the Z51 vs. F55 suspension but I'd like to know what's wrong with the Base suspension?

I'm looking to get into a new '08 Corvette and my budget is really tight.
I like a lot of what I'm reading about the two options but if the car can perform very well with the Base, well that get's me that much closer to my $$ goal and may allow for other options.

This will be my almost-daily driver (2-4 days a week ) and weekend car for "spirited" back road driving & such.
I'm not going to drag/track/autocross.

So, is the base sufficient?
In a word - YES !

I love my Z51. But the base model is STILL a Corvette. As they say: "it doesn't suck".

It's still a Corvette and it will be an awesome car. If that's what your budget needs - then buy the base model suspension, and it will still be a kick *** car. You will love it. You will smile everytime you drive it.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I have the F55 in my '05 coupe, and can't tell the difference between Tour and Sport unless you really start thrashing the car around.

I've driven a friends base suspension (not for a real long drive, and our roads in FL are pretty good).

I've got an '06 Z06.

I have never driven a Z51.

I've had my Z06 on the track, and it's a helluva beast!!! I thought it was going to be a lot stiffer on the street than my F55, but it's not - it's a great road car or track car.

Butt....driving around on the public roadways where you can't push a C6 to anything but about 30% of what it's really capable of, I can't tell the difference between the base, F55, or the Z06.

I say get the base suspension and you'll be very happy with it. Just my $.02, YMMV.

Bob
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 PM
AUSTINAMP
Heel & Toe

I have the base suspension and lowered my car 2" inches. Handling improved dramaticly and know it not a priority to do anything with the suspension.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

I just went through this very thing...analyzing Z51 vs Base suspension...

I test drove both, back to back, by myself, for the better part of an afternoon. The Z51 ride is utterly surprisingly very nice, and I have a bad back that would tell me otherwise.

The every day ride quality is very similar between the 2 cars, however, the performance difference is huge. The difference becomes very apparent when you drive it aggressively.

If you are not going to drive it like the world class sports car that it is, but rather more like a nice classy automobile instead, get the base suspension, and don't waste the bucks on something you are not going to use.

Food for thought:

You can not buy the parts you get in the Z51 pkg for anywhere near $1,695 - much less buy them plus have them installed for anywhere remotely even close to $1,695...

Also keep in mind, with the way dealers are currently discounting C6 prices, you are not even spending $1,695 more than a base suspension car...

All the Z51 items come installed for something more like $1400 - $1500 over what you'd pay for a base car, which is is ridiculously cheap for what ALL you get in a Z51 car:

Bigger Brakes with Cross Drilled Rotors - installed

Bigger Sway Bars - installed

Performance Shocks - installed

Performance Rear Control Arms with Grease Zerks - installed

Oil Cooler - installed

Z51 Transmission with lower gearing - quicker more responsive car throughout the rpm band

And then top ALL OF THAT off with a set of Goodyear SUPERCAR Tires

That is one tremendous amount of expensive installed parts at a truly amazing value.

After you think about it, it just might be the case of stepping over the dollar to pick up the nickel...now and at resale time.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks all! I'm amazed at how many detailed replies were given at it's really appreciated. You all REALLY love your Vettes!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I'm looking to get into a new '08 Corvette and my budget is really tight.

I'm not going to drag/track/autocross.

So, is the base sufficient?
Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie
Food for thought:

You can not buy the parts you get in the Z51 pkg for anywhere near $1,695 - much less buy them plus have them installed for anywhere remotely even close to $1,695...

And then top ALL OF THAT off with a set of Goodyear SUPERCAR Tires[/color].
It's unfortunate that so many Z51 fanatics either don't bother to read original posts closely enough, or else they don't care - they just want to impress everyone with their powerful logic and the wonderful things they have on their car.

1. OP said he was on a tight budget.

2. OP said he wasn't going to autocross or put the car on the track.

3. Tires - Supercar tires typically get half the mileage of supercar tires. In other words, you have to buy tires more frequently. Which returns us to no. 1. above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB68, get the base suspension and put a set of Z51 sway bars on it.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by JimTN

...It's unfortunate that so many Z51 fanatics either don't bother to read original posts closely enough, or else they don't care - they just want to impress everyone with their powerful logic and the wonderful things they have on their car...
Actually, what is truly unfortunate, is sharing bandwidth with judgmental narrow minded people who lack the ability to let others share their opinion without feeling the need to criticize and insult opinions they disagree with to make themselves feel better about being narrow minded.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
MSC6
Pro

I just traded my 07 with the Z51 package and ordered my 08 without it. Why ? Well because I never ran my car hard enough (in the twisties) to take advantage of the Z51. I never had a problem with the Z51 but the base suspension does ride better. A lot ? No, but it is noticeable. I test drove both before I bought my 07 and didn't think there was much difference. After spending more time in both though, there is a difference. As far as performance (gearing) in a straight line it's hard for me to say because the LS3 is definitely stronger than the LS2. Considering that you,like me, don't plan on road racing I'm sure the base suspension will be just fine for you.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSC6
I just traded my 07 with the Z51 package and ordered my 08 without it. Why ? Well because I never ran my car hard enough (in the twisties) to take advantage of the Z51. I never had a problem with the Z51 but the base suspension does ride better. A lot ? No, but it is noticeable. I test drove both before I bought my 07 and didn't think there was much difference. After spending more time in both though, there is a difference. As far as performance (gearing) in a straight line it's hard for me to say because the LS3 is definitely stronger than the LS2. Considering that you,like me, don't plan on road racing I'm sure the base suspension will be just fine for you.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie
Actually, what is truly unfortunate, is sharing bandwidth with judgmental narrow minded people who lack the ability to let others share their opinion without feeling the need to criticize and insult opinions they disagree with to make themselves feel better about being narrow minded.

That's okay, I understand. Maybe if you stay here long enough, read enough posts, get a little older, get a little wiser, you'll understand why people post the details they do when they're asking questions.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 03-01-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
VETTRLZ
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The base model is great. You won't be disappointed at all.

That said, the Z51 package is the best performance upgrade bargain in motorsports for a new car, hands down. If you think you'll be aggressive with the car at all, get the Z51 and don't look back. When you get to 75% of the car's capability, the Z51 really starts to shine compared to the base model.

I use my Z51 as a DD, and it's fine. Don't worry about ride harshness.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Base suspension enough for me?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
RACN1320
Pro

I was on a tight budget as well when I bought my Vette. I knew though that it would see auto-x and strip duty. I wanted to go for the best performance for the lowest dollar. So I bought it with only the Z51 option.

If I wasn't going to be racing it I would have gone for the base model to save money. When it comes down to it a Corvette is a awesome car no matter which options you get.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:28 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer you question "Is the Base suspension enough for me?" base on your budget and need.

It is a resounding YES, the base suspension is PERFECT for you. You can always upgrade the suspension later if you need to.

F55 owners are upgrading sways and Z51 are upgrading to Koni FSD.

One more thing, only believe 35% of what is posted on your thread.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:25 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Like I said in my other post, I am a Z51 owner. The only truely unfortunate thing is that with the 3 suspension options comes a subliminal brainwashing put into the minds of shoppers that the "Base" is somehow bad or not good enough to be in a Vette. This is rediculous. I'm glad everyone is proud of what they chose/own. That is really all that's important. However do you really think your Z51 is that much better than someone elses F55? Or that the Base suspension doesn't even count? Show me one, ONE documented example of when a C6 lost out to another C6, in any type of driving/racing event, soley because of the suspension option. GM's supposed testing for the car doesn't count. I want real results from real drivers. Because most who aggressively compete with their cars on a regular basis will change out the suspension to aftermarket parts anyway.

NB68 if you can't afford the Z51 or F55 or you don't feel they're what you want or worth it, get the base and don't look back.

Quick Reply: Is the Base suspension enough for me?