C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why No Spikes in Some Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Why No Spikes in Some Headers?

Why do many headers have spikes and some dont? The spike is a collector with an actual spike welded into the center of the collector at a point where the four tubes converge. The spike guides the flow to the center of the collector and that is supposed to increase flow and add hp.

I know LG Pro's have merge collectors. I wonder why they dont have spikes in their collectors, while others do. Anybody know why? I know Kooks and AR headers have spikes with their merge collectors.

LG Pro with pinched merge collector and no spike:

My Kooks 6600-EX 1 3/4 Jet Hot coated headers with spiked merge collector with no "pinch":

American Racing headers with pinched merge collector with spike:

Cheap Chinese Clone with off-center spike and the color of the stainless already showing discolor and possible rust:

Last edited by siffert; 01-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Maybe it reduces torque.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Cost? A dollar is a dollar!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Cost? A dollar is a dollar!
Could be.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:24 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

This is strictly speculation on my part but I base it on intake tuning technology.

I believe the spike is used to give the effect of a longer tube without actually using a longer tube. It continues the separation of the gas flow prior to merging in the collector. This is the same effect of runner extensions in intakes. The extension doesn't extend top to bottom but in a 'D' shape at the port entrance.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

siffert,

With that 1 7/8" straight collector Kooks headers and the spike I ran an 11.80 @ 118.62 mph in warm weather (77*) with only other mods an Xcelerator and tuning. I would have ran 11.5s the only time I've been out in cold air had I been able to hold traction. I had my best ever 60' going but on the 1-2 I lost traction and hit the rpm limiter.

Can't say if the merge is better than the straight but don't think the straight is hurting power terribly much.

By the way, my headers are not blue inside. My photography abilities is somewhat limited. Those had been ported to remove the excess weld build-up.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i know with the 1 3/4 KOOKS LT i went 11.14 with a low 1.54 60 ft. in bolt/on form only thanks George
Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
i know with the 1 3/4 KOOKS LT i went 11.14 with a low 1.54 60 ft. in bolt/on form only thanks George
With your converter it becomes a whole new ball game. A properly sized stall converter is worth .6-.7 improved et.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
With your converter it becomes a whole new ball game. A properly sized stall converter is worth .6-.7 improved et.
they are available for your car
Old 02-15-2008, 01:51 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Kooks, obviously being the superior product has them.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NavyC4S
Kooks, obviously being the superior product has them.
Both systems perform great. Both companies are great companies. If you drag race, you might see a tenth more with the kooks in the 1/4 mile, but the seat of the pants feel from the LGs on the street might appeal to another consumer.

In the end, its all about your decision, and if what you have on the car performs the way you want.

Back in the day, we ran spikes. We found them to be worth 1-2 hp, however the decision was made that in order to keep pricing in line, we needed to leave them out. Basically, the spike could be chalked up to dyno variances and we opted to leave them out of our program.

The collector choice is important too, make sure you look at the total package when picking your parts. A stamped, non merge collector with a spike will produce less HP than a merge with out. That I do know, as we tested that back to back quite some time ago, which is why we have a merge style collector. I know Kooks might have recently moved to that style collector, but I do not know.

Either way, you cant go wrong
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Actually it's orginal name was a "pickle fork" designed by ballenger headers back in the 1960's. The theory is simple, the space the fork takes up in the collector would be otherwise dead air space which would slow for a moment the exhaust velocity. By having the fork in place the exhaust velocity is maintained improving the overall performance of the header. Pickle forks are found in headers with long collectors like Kooks. I have Kooks. LG gets the job done with longer primary tubes and a merge collector. They both work well. I guess it's just a matter of preference. Actually ballenger himself made a custom set of headers for my 1985 C4 that had a 383 in it. then he moved from orange county CA were I live to Arizona. He was still working last I herd.

Last edited by andreas g.; 02-15-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by andreas g.
Actually it's orginal name was a "pickle fork" designed by ballenger headers back in the 1960's.
Interesting, thanks for the info!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Kooks C6 headers have a Stamped merge collector...it just is not as agressive a pinch, and does not have a Megaphone on the other end of it like some competitors.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just an FYI, many believe that a merge collector must be specifically sized and tuned to each individual motor/power output situation to be completely effective, that there is no 'one size fits all' way of adding them on and getting better results.
Yes, most high dollar/high end race teams (NASCAR etc.) do use merge collectors on their headers but there were also weeks/months spent testing and R&Ding various combinations to see which design worked best for those particular motors.
Straight collectors might actually work better on some cars then the 'pick one and hope it works' type merge collectors that are being provided.
But they do look cool.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Actually...these pictures best show how Kooks does merge collectors. These pictures I just took are of a standard 1 3/4" GTO header next to a 1 3/4 x 1 7/8" stepped "Signature Series" header. Kooks uses a stamped merge that is cost effective...but their design is also more conservative in that it does not "pinch" the airflow as much...which could hurt exhaust velocity. The 1 3/4" header (on the right) has a standard collector..the stepped header (on the left) has a stamped merge similar to what is standard on the C6 headers like 6600-EX. All Kooks headers have spikes in the collectors.

--------------------------------------------------------------

www.MarylandSpeed.com- Unmatched Service & Great Prices!

We Have a Sale on Kooks Headers Going!
Current Poject- 2007 Loaded Machine Metallic LT3, A6 Targa (Not Stock)

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 02-15-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Actually...these pictures best show how Kooks does merge collectors. These pictures I just took are of a standard 1 3/4" GTO header next to a 1 3/4 x 1 7/8" stepped "Signature Series" header. Kooks uses a stamped merge that is cost effective...but their design is also more conservative in that it does not "pinch" the airflow as much...which could hurt exhaust velocity. The 1 3/4" header (on the right) has a standard collector..the stepped header (on the left) has a stamped merge similar to what is standard on the C6 headers like 6600-EX. All Kooks headers have spikes in the collectors.
Thanks much for clearing that up!!! Those pics show clearly that the Kooks has a spiked merge collector (which I originally thought as straight) though like you say, its not as "pinched" as the others. Which explains why in the AR and LG pics above, looking down thru the collector the 4 individual tubes appear partially obstructed when taking a picture.

Last edited by siffert; 02-15-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why No Spikes in Some Headers?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
Back in the day, we ran spikes. We found them to be worth 1-2 hp, however the decision was made that in order to keep pricing in line, we needed to leave them out. Basically, the spike could be chalked up to dyno variances and we opted to leave them out of our program.

The collector choice is important too, make sure you look at the total package when picking your parts. A stamped, non merge collector with a spike will produce less HP than a merge with out. That I do know, as we tested that back to back quite some time ago, which is why we have a merge style collector. I know Kooks might have recently moved to that style collector, but I do not know.

Either way, you cant go wrong
Thanks for the info and clearing that up for me!

Last edited by siffert; 02-15-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,213 Likes on 699 Posts

Let me start by saying that Kooks makes a fine product and your pictures are very helpful. It was tough to see the merge collector on their website photos.
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Kooks uses a stamped merge that is cost effective...but their design is also more conservative in that it does not "pinch" the airflow as much...which could hurt exhaust velocity.
A proper "pinch" isn't going to reduce gas velocity. The small pinch and fast recovery used by Kooks provides a conserverative benefit from the merge collector.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

I believe the idea is that Kooks feels an agressive merge is too much for a street car. Think of it like this...if you very slightly pinch a hose..you increase water velocity enough that you are moving more water, even though it is through a slightly smaller daimeter hose.. You pinch the hose too much however and you can loose efficiancy quick..where the reduced diameter "pinch" is allowing less air through than is gained by the increased velocity. I guess what I am saying is a merge collector is like pinching a garden hose...you have to do it just right to get best flow.

I am not really trying to get into a pissing match over merge collectors..there are plenty of great products out there..and odds are you won't go wrong with any choice.

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Let me start by saying that Kooks makes a fine product and your pictures are very helpful. It was tough to see the merge collector on their website photos.
A proper "pinch" isn't going to reduce gas velocity. The small pinch and fast recovery used by Kooks provides a conserverative benefit from the merge collector.

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 02-15-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Why No Spikes in Some Headers?