C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low inertia 258 mm looser 6L80E replacement torque converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,

Lingenfelter may have what I have been wishing for all along (ever since I started changing cams)

I want a converter for my street car that will do nothing more than allow the engine to idle slightly higher than stock without having to add more brake pedal pressure to keep the car from rolling. I have an aftermarket converter but even the most conservative aftermarket converter I could find was a lot different as far as driveability than stock - Also I have never been able to get the A6 to work as well as before the converter. I have been debating putting the stock converter back in or live with the driveability differences of an aftermarket converter...
Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 AM
SL33PER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetracer
Jason,

Lingenfelter may have what I have been wishing for all along (ever since I started changing cams)

I want a converter for my street car that will do nothing more than allow the engine to idle slightly higher than stock without having to add more brake pedal pressure to keep the car from rolling. I have an aftermarket converter but even the most conservative aftermarket converter I could find was a lot different as far as driveability than stock - Also I have never been able to get the A6 to work as well as before the converter. I have been debating putting the stock converter back in or live with the driveability differences of an aftermarket converter...
I dont mean any offense but I seriously think your issue is the tune. I have driven cars with a 3600 stall that drive very "normal". I am surprised you are having so many problems. I am anxiously waiting a stall swap myself. I decided to go with a 3200 with stock 2:56 gears. PM me if you need some help. I can get you hooked up.

Mike
Old 03-21-2009, 03:16 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mikeg4572
I dont mean any offense but I seriously think your issue is the tune. I have driven cars with a 3600 stall that drive very "normal". I am surprised you are having so many problems. I am anxiously waiting a stall swap myself. I decided to go with a 3200 with stock 2:56 gears. PM me if you need some help. I can get you hooked up.

Mike
Mike,

No offense taken I am just stating that the car drives differently with a looser converter, and I preferred the way it drove with the stock converter. I drove a friend's C5 with 3:73's and a Yank 3200, same deal. It's just what aftermarket converters do.

I'm not having a lot of problems, my only issue other than the looseness of the converter compared to stock is that the car isn't downshifting right. On part throttle shifts it either downshifts into too low of a gear or it hangs up and does what I call a "double downshift". I've worked with my tuner on all parameters that HP Tuner allows him to control and have been unable to resolve it.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM
GETUSUMM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

No offense taken I am just stating that the car drives differently with a looser converter, and I preferred the way it drove with the stock converter. I drove a friend's C5 with 3:73's and a Yank 3200, same deal. It's just what aftermarket converters do.

I'm not having a lot of problems, my only issue other than the looseness of the converter compared to stock is that the car isn't downshifting right. On part throttle shifts it either downshifts into too low of a gear or it hangs up and does what I call a "double downshift". I've worked with my tuner on all parameters that HP Tuner allows him to control and have been unable to resolve it.
I had the same issues. The stock converter is back in my car now.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,

Exactly my concern too. I like the tight connection the stock converter gives. I couldn't stand my buddies 3600 in his Camaro w/3:73's.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:45 PM
GETUSUMM
Pro

I loved my Yank when it was tightned to 2500-2600 but the tuning of the converter sucks. I have heard several people say that no tuning is involved the A6. That was not the case for me. The above mentioned converter seems like a good choice if you dont have to tune for it.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:59 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GETUSUMM
I loved my Yank when it was tightned to 2500-2600 but the tuning of the converter sucks. I have heard several people say that no tuning is involved the A6. That was not the case for me. The above mentioned converter seems like a good choice if you dont have to tune for it.

You had to remove your converter and send it in for adjustment? Then when it was around 2600, you enjoyed it? Ouch, thats alot of work/time.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 PM
GETUSUMM
Pro

Yep
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Still on the fence, Jason

Quick Reply: Low inertia 258 mm looser 6L80E replacement torque converters